Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-30-05, 00:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/210/130 Female 5 ' 9
BF:
Progress: 0%
Cool Drinking Alcohol on atkins diet?

Okay I just want to inquire about alcohol. There are alot of ads for Zero carb liquors (like baccardi,vodka ect) and alot of low carb beer. So what is the deal with this...I like to have drinks several times a week but I do not want to stop losing weight. I had drinks last night and I was still very dark on my keto sticks so It obviously didn't put me out of ketosis or anything. Can someone Puleeeze tell me what is the deal with this...How much is okay,how often is okay ect....thanx so much...Tiff
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-30-05, 02:27
Queen of Bouncing

Plan: Temp - PSMF
Stats: 240/198/135 Female 63"
BF:Who Knows
Progress: 40%

Yeah, it probably did put you out of fat-burning ketosis. Alcohol is burned first and does give off ketones which will show up on the strips.

Debbie
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-30-05, 07:06

Plan: Atkins/and calorie count
Stats: 188/178/124 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

I think it's individual. I find (off induction of course) that I can usually get away with one day - say friday with no impact. If I push it and drink saturday too - it shows up on the scale. I personally have all but given up on the LC beer. I read the South Beach Diet book and that pretty much made me believe it really does cause a beer belly - end of story. Last thing I want with only 5 pounds to go and the tummy tuck I paid for in November. My favop. currently is Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper w/ coconut rum! Yummmm...
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-30-05, 07:13
Registered Member

Stats: 201/139/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 102%

Alcohol is the first fuel that the body burns. My thinking is, with all of the work I'm doing trying to eat right - I sure don't want to waste that time buring off alcohol instead of fat cells! So for as long as I can, I am going to refrain from drinking! Husband is a little cranky about my abstinence - but I keep trying to tell him that you don't have to drink to have fun! But it sure makes everyone else look sillier!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-30-05, 07:19

Stats: 271/185/180 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Your body burns alcohol first as a fuel, so when you drink you have to burn that off. I have vodka and club soda drinks 2 days a week on an average but I always exercise the next day to burn off the extra fuel. All hard alcohol has 0 carbs except the sweet liquors. Rum & diet coke good but Capt & diet .4 carbs per 1oz liquor. Hopes this helps, don't drink and drive.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-30-05, 07:26

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Dry wines, red or white, are considerably low in carbs even lower than low carb beer. There have been studies that conclude that wine especially red, is effective in helping the body to increase its sensitivity to insulin. This means that insulin stability is increased, our main goal in this diet. I have one glass of dry red wine for dinner almost everyday.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-30-05, 07:30
Registered Member

Stats: 270/210/185 Male 5'10"
BF:Started 03/09/05
Progress: 71%

I've pretty much drank the entire time I have been on atkins, since March of this year. I only drink Burbon with water/club soda, so there are no carbs in what I drink. Most days I don't drink, but when I have, most times I have only had a couple, and a couple of times I let loose and had a bottle.

It may have slowed me down for a day when I had alot, but I was always in control, so I never ate things I shouldn't have when drinking. I think that is the more dangerous problem with drinking on Atkins. You get a little drunk, and start diving into the Nachos.

If you can keep youself under control, and not eat bad when drinking, you should be fine. Of course, everyone is different, and if you notice it hurting you, you should definately stop. It hasn't hurt me (60 lbs since March 9th), so I haven't stopped, but you may be different.

Also, try to stick to unflavored sprirts, and water/club soda as a mixer. Flavored vodka/rum can have added carbs because of the flavoring, and too much diet soda can be bad for you.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-30-05, 08:10

Stats: 176/168/150 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

I always notice a slight weight loss after drinking, probably due to dehydrating. I have drinks once or twice a week and still have good results. I typically drink Rum and Diet Coke (splenda). It's the food cravings I get when I drink that is hard to overcome.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-30-05, 11:45

BF:

WoW, thanks so much for all of the replys. This is very informative. I didn't know that alcohol could be burned for fuel and I guess thats why my strips were still purple (I wonder if anyone knows how long it takes to burn off the alcohol) I would certainly rather be burning fat for sure.Thing is I like to drink either on Tuesday night or thursday night and occationally If im not working on Sat. so thats two days a week. I used to have drinks when I was on this diet before and I still lost...but that was before I started stressing about it,who knows I may have lost more without the drinks.The coconut rum is very good,and not very strong but it scares me b/c it taste so sweet. Does'nt it have carbs and sugar? I think the one I drink is Kingston...the guy said it the same as Malabu rum...hummmm guess theres no real way to know. Ithought it was fine b/c my strips were still dark BUT know im not so sure. Oh bother lol
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-30-05, 13:45

Stats: 410/248/215 Male 6'2"
BF:25% +/- 10%
Progress: 83%
Default Alcohol Types W/ Zero Carbs

Dr. A said in his early big red book, "revolution yada yada", that there are no carbs in Vodka and Whiskey so I have continued to lose 170 lbs so far even though I drink dirty martnini's to excess on our 38 ft sea ray twice a month.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-30-05, 14:10

Plan: atkins
Stats: 158/134/126 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 75%

Hi !

I had no problem with alcohol ( I drink it thus no problem )

No, Sorry - seriously for the first two weeks of my induction I was mostly drinking Gin and Slimline Tonic.
After the two weeks I was mostly drinking Wine ( a nice Chardonnay pref. ) and I still lost weight, so I would'nt worry sweetie.

By the way mines a 'Large One' Cheers
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jun-30-05, 14:11

BF:

well maybe I should swich to Martinis and forget about diet sodas. One thing that bothers me is it would be so easy for a bartender to mix up and use real cole instead of diet and also when I order something with soda water they always put sprite...makes me so mad.Maybe martinis are the way to go won't have to worry so much that way.BTW congrats on the 170 pound loss,thats great.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jun-30-05, 14:19
Registered Member

Stats: 253/220/200 Female 5 10
BF:36%/30%/28%
Progress: 62%
Default Hello

As we have always heard...its ok if its in moderation A cocktail or two during the week isnt going to be bad. Malibu coconut rum is said to be carb free on some sites and on others it has about 2.5 carbs per 1oz serving. Just drink with caution. Heres how I look at things...if it makes me gain...I dont eat or drink it Good luck
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jun-30-05, 14:40

Stats: 335/211/195 Male 77 inches
BF:
Progress: 89%

While rum has 0 carbs, Coconut rum is a liqueur and has a lot of carbs. The sweetness of it should be a big clue. A martini also has a couple of carbs, presumably from the vermouth. While I enjoy having a drink or 2, I made a decision that since my body would burn the alcohol first and I did not want to do anything to slow down the weight loss, I would refrain from drinking (alcohol). Instead of an evening kir (white wine w/creme de Cassis), I had a can or 2 of Diet Rite Black Cherry. I found that I did not miss the cocktail.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-05, 06:26

Plan: Atkins/and calorie count
Stats: 188/178/124 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

The coconut rum I drink has "cocount flavoring" - I do read labels. You are right about the mix-ups - it's so easy! Evven liquor that boasts no carbs is processed by the body like it does. You just need to find what you can get away with and are willing to deal with - if you aren't one of the "purists!" I'm just not that perfect - like a drink now and then. I live in a small town, one of my favorite bars has no diet soda - I take my own. (Know what I am getting - sit at the bar.) Best of luck!