Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 09:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default [[[[[ LC Sponge ]]]]]

Im sorry U dont have a supportive family or should I say sorry U have a disfunctional family??? Im 37 and its just been last couple yrs I have realized that I grew up with a very cold-unloving, critical father. He was my dad so I always thought he was right about everything. BUT I never recieved priase from him only critisim. In fact now that I have gotten to a healthy weight his remarks are ~!$%#^^$^& you are too thin! But never once during my weight loss did he say "wow U are doing great I am proud of you" I am learnly slowly I DONT have to please him anymore but its a hard lesson to learn. DO you [or anyone else reading this post} constantly feel that maybe you should change your goal weight and try to lose just a little more? And do U think that even by losing a little more we will be happy even with that? Just my thoughts.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 17:55

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Hey gwilson!!

Takes a while to understand who we really need to answer to.

Hope you are coming to terms with how good a person you believe you are. Your opinion is what counts most

Can't pick our family, but we can pick our friends!

We are the only species that tries to maintain a relationship beyond the formative years. Could be our biggest mistake. We are social creatures - doesn't mean that *family* must be part of our social circle.

Yes, I adjusted my goal a couple of times - still am. How's 139 sound ?? LOL

PS. My *real* name is Victoria - what's yours?
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 20:30

BF:
Default hello Victoria and ROFL

My name is GALE spelt just like the wind..lol ...it cracked me up when U send we are the only species that try to maintain a relationship after the formative yrs. LOL Maybe I will do MY kids a favor and when they leave the house I will move and not give them my new addy..LOL ... ok so 139 huh? Well I bet U are a beauty already, in fact Ill bet cause of all the kind and intelligent words U post in here that U are, were and will be a beauty at any weight. ...My original goal was to get into jeans that I couldnt....well I succeeded doing that about 6 weeks into Atkins...then I thought 150.....nope 145....nope 140.....ok so I have been hanging around 136 for awhile now and Im thinking 134>? LOL Oh man will we every be happy with what we weigh?? I do know for sure I love this WOL and WOE. I feel great now!!!
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 20:32

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 147/128/118 Female 5'3''
BF:?/18/17
Progress: 66%
Default Interesting article

posted by gwilson.

This has been/is a very interesting thread. All these issues. Funny isn't it, how we can't really compartmentalize our lives? All things are affected by every other area of our lives. Goes back to what Karen said about weight being one form of "baggage" we have to deal with. Or sometimes it's a combination of different things.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 20:40

BF:
Default oh Victoria!!

LOL Im sorry forgot to ask U a favor in my last post, if U ever see me logged in can U PM me? There are a few people I would like to chat with but I cant figure the darn thingy out...lol thanks
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 22:21

Hey Homegirl - yeah - that article was keen, wasn't it? Real food for thought. I wish I had time to find these little gems, but have had to rely on the kindness of others to bring them back to our campsite here, for me to examine by the fire.

Hey Gale (you are the second *Gale spelling* I've met - I work with one) and yes, I'll watch for when your 'on' and if you have time - we'll chat.

They say that your *ideal* weight is the weight you remember feeling BEST at. That's the weight that should have been your goal from the beginning. We set "wimpy" goals, because we are scared we won't hit them if they are too difficult. My VERY first goal was 149, then I read the above sentiment and reset to the 140-144 range (ranges are even SAFER, I thought).

Now I've decided goal (whatever the number) is a journey, and not a destination

P.S. I've also smiled more than once, at the sunshine you spread around here too, Gale.
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 11:43

BF:

I like your comment Victoria, " goal is a journey not a destination." My BMI is 22 which I know is good and I read on here somewhere Docs are more concerned with a healthy weight range rather than "ideal weight" For me being 5' 6" it was 125-155. Well now guess I should go continue my journey..lol
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-01, 12:29

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 270/205/160 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 59%
Default The mysterious goal weight

Victoria, the first time I read this goal weight concept:
Quote:
Originally posted by LC Sponge
They say that your *ideal* weight is the weight you remember feeling BEST at. That's the weight that should have been your goal from the beginning. We set "wimpy" goals, because we are scared we won't hit them if they are too difficult.

I felt ripped off. I have felt really great at a lot of weights because I am generally a happy, contented person brimming with self esteem ( ), but none of them has yet been in a healthy range for me. (I remember weighing 100 lbs. in 5th grade and 140 in 6th grade - although I grew six inches between those years, I was still only 5'2"!) So I had to make an educated guess at my goal based on insurance tables. I think I initially picked 125 because that's what I picked the last time I really tried to lose weight (when I ended up at 150) and because I didn't want to be a wimp!

Then, I read some threads on this site about body fat percentages and frame sizes and did some intense measuring. Turns out I *AM* big boned and my body fat isn't as high (although still too porky for my toned-up goal!) as I'd thought. So, I adjusted my goal weight *UP* because it was actually below the healthy range for my frame and height. I've been having quite the journey just trying to pick a goal! It's making me feel better that even you super LC'ers who are near, at or below goal still aren't quite sure what your *ideal* weight is. At least, I think it does. Honestly, I was hoping for some concrete reassurance along the lines of Nat's instant gratification/handed to me on a silver platter post. No such luck, huh? I, too, will have to be content to examine my own body and pysche to find what's right for me while at the same time avoiding the demons of post-goal depression while searching for my next great quest...perhaps an Iron Man triathlon or crocodile wrestling?

Thanks for the great thread - I couldn't stop reading!

Dani
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-01, 05:04

Thanks for sharing your angle, Dani - I too enjoy reading posts from the *great thinkers* here - there are lots of them

I inferred that *ideal* = happy, you point out that *ideal* = healthy if a person is always happy anyway .

I expect that once you get to your *ideal-healthy*, you'll be REALLY happy.

I have your issue in reverse - I am small boned for my height - so when I was slim (before my fat period) people were always telling me I was TOO skinny (at 135). That influenced my goal setting initially when I didn't want to go back to being TOO skinny.

Fortunately or otherwise I came to my senses - I may LOOK skinny at the lower weight, but my health is better at the lower weight since my frame can't comfortably carry heavier. And besides who cares what anybody else thinks?!
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 15:23

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

LC sponge, is it possible that some of what you are feeling is biochemical in origin? Ketosis does produce a chemical "high" and maybe you are missing that, in part. Maybe try some St. John's Wort, 5-HTP, or sun lamp therapy to stimulate serontonin production and see how those work for you.
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 17:38

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 173/150/135
BF:
Progress: 61%

I'm not at goal yet, and wasn't even near it for a couple of years, but one thing I'd like to mention as far as my psyche goes is that the closer I get to goal the more little disappointments start to creep into my experience. As near as I can figure, the prospect of actually ATTAINING goal when you feel you are quite overweight involves a lot of vague fantasies about just how wonderful BEING at goal will be once you get there. These fantasies may not be clearly conscious but they are there. Things like: being at goal means I will feel great all the time, or I'll get the job of my dreams, or I'll never feel anxious, or maybe even something big like my husband/mother/father will love me--- things that we are only vaguely aware of thinking. Inevitably there is some letdown upon reaching goal as these bubbles burst. They may burst consciously or unconsciously. You might then decide to "adjust" your goal downward so as to attain the impossible dreams. Or you might get angry, feel cheated, and re-gain some of the fat because being at goal was so disappointing. I already know I'll be thrilled for about 5 seconds when I reach goal, and then I'll immediately want to adjust my goal downwards, but that's just me.

Missydog

Last edited by missydog : Fri, Dec-14-01 at 18:20.
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 19:22

Quote:
Originally posted by razzle
LC sponge, is it possible that some of what you are feeling is biochemical in origin? Ketosis does produce a chemical "high" and maybe you are missing that, in part. Maybe try some St. John's Wort, 5-HTP, or sun lamp therapy to stimulate serontonin production and see how those work for you.

These are extraordinarily wise words - thank you.
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 19:25

Quote:
Originally posted by missydog
..... Inevitably there is some letdown upon reaching goal as these bubbles burst.....

Missydog

That hit home. More brilliance - thanks, Missydog