Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 01:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/187/120
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy Failed the fast Fat

I did good all day then at the end of the day I gave up....I had my 10 ounces of cream cheese, then I gave into eating meat....but I felt like I just began the diet all over again, I was starving.....and I really pigged out.....only on meat though.....oh yeah and 1 egg.....how bad does this affect me.....does anyone know why I was feeling week...I didnt feel filled up what so ever...Oh well I tried....and this isnt like me at all
*LORENA*
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 05:28
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/148/133
BF:
Progress: 29%

Hiya

regarding fat fast, you would probably have to go back to induction for three or four days before you do the fat fast. this way you would not feel so hungry once you started . Hope this helps if you are to try again.

congratulations for not going crazy and eating carbs when you felt so hungry, it just goes to show how strong your willpower was, so you didn't really fail.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 08:28

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Lorena, I have done the fat fast, and I cant imagine why anyone who's tried it once would want to have a second kick at that can. Have you thought about a few Stillman days? They are much easier and accomplish the same thing (flushing the excess water from your fat cells) but with all the protein you're eating you do not feel hungry of deprived. There are some discussions and ideas for Stillman menus under the Group Project in "Group Journals" from August / Sept.

Nat
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 12:36
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Im feeling you on what u said about not wanting to try it again....man it was HARD,,,,......and I ate like never b4 ....I just hope it doesnt make me gain weight.......about stillman.....nah I never heard of it.....by the way Nat I like your new pic,.....you look nice

~*Lorena*~
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-01, 10:54
Registered Member

Stats: 272/190/165
BF:
Progress: 77%

Its just your body's way of fighting back. Before doing a fat-fast you should make sure you have tried a strict low-carb diet (induction), and then, if you are still stuck, try a fat-fast. Fat-Fasts are usually successful because the people who go on them got seriousally stalled. In my case, I get stuck eating 1000 calories and less then 10 carbs, and I am stuck. The only way out of the plateau (set-point) is intensive excercise for several days (try biking 8am-8pm for 2 days with friends), or do a fat-fast. Depending on your motovation, most people choose one of the two. The easy way and best way to do a fat-fast is macadamian nuts with cream cheese. Dip them in the cream cheese and maybe eat a couple calories in protein (maybe a extremely small piece of chicken, the size of your finger). If you fail at it, don't worry. Its your body fighting back, it wants to be heavy. There are also several major stallers (weight gainers) to look out for and a few other ideas I've found to be true:

1. Anything sweet (even aspartame or splenda). You must keep these occational. The sheer taste of something sweet does increase insulin levels, though not dramatically,... it may be significant for anyone who is stalled.

2. The biggest staller: Cheese. Cheese is VERY high on the GI index... why atkins allows it is beyond me. Its as bad as carbs. Got that? Cheese=Carbs

3. Watch your calories, eat enough that your not starving, but not really content. None of this: eat 100 times your body weight advise I see everywhere. That isn't scientific.

4. Try walking for an hour on the tredmill or outside for just an hour or so. It can really jump start ketosis. Its even better BEFORE your first meal, if you can do it mentally.

5. Watch your protein, 500 calories of pure protein is like 250 calories of carbohydrate. Carbs are twice as bad as protein, but protein is bad too. Choose fatty meats. Fat is the one thing that doesn't raise insulin badly.

6. Try eating INFREQUENT meals. People are being lied to. Man has never eatin 3 meals per day. Shoot for once a day (unless your diabedic). The drops in insulin through this forces weight right off you, and when it is raised, you maintain.

7. Keep drinking your water. Just chug a ton before going to sleep, and chug a ton in the morning. You will feel better all day.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-01, 11:26

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by tecaddict
3. Watch your calories, eat enough that your not starving, but not really content. None of this: eat 100 times your body weight advise I see everywhere. That isn't scientific.

5. Watch your protein, 500 calories of pure protein is like 250 calories of carbohydrate. Carbs are twice as bad as protein, but protein is bad too. Choose fatty meats. Fat is the one thing that doesn't raise insulin badly.

6. Try eating INFREQUENT meals. People are being lied to. Man has never eatin 3 meals per day. Shoot for once a day (unless your diabedic). The drops in insulin through this forces weight right off you, and when it is raised, you maintain.

I must take issue with some of this, Tecaddict. Because something does not work for you does not make it un-scientific.

Eating 100 times your body weight is not something we advise; eating 10 times is; and it is scientific. You must satisfy your basal metabolic functioning if you are to remain healthy. Restricting calories lowers metabolism. Restricting calories and exercising (aerobic) will keep your metabolism lowered and promote loss of lean body mass

Protein in combination with carbs will raise insulin; excess protein in the abscence of carbs will be converted to glucose and released slowly w/o causing an insulin spike .

Eating raises metabolism (roughy 10% every time) and helps diffuse drops in blood sugar and the resulting rise in insulin after a meal; eating 6 smaller meals in place of 3 larger ones will keep blood sugar level. The idea is to manage insulin and heal insulin sensitivity .

From John P. Hussman, Ph.D., MSEd.

Quote:
Research is clear that the best way to keep your blood sugar stable is to eat small, frequent meals, containing both protein and carbohydrate (and even a limited amount of fat, particularly "good" fats such as fish oil). In general, you want to fuel your body roughly every 2 1/2 to 3 hours. That works out to about 5-6 small meals daily. There are several reasons to eat this frequently. It's been demonstrated that athletes who eat 6 times a day have significantly lower levels of bodyfat than those who eat 3 larger meals a day. This is because frequent meals even out your blood sugar, so you don't have the peaks and valleys that cause your body to defend fat. As you'll see below, the body doesn't "store" amino acids, so the frequent meals are also essential to ensure that the building blocks for muscle are present when they are actually needed.

Nat
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-01, 14:16
Registered Member

BF:

My statement about 100 times, is not about health. Its about plateau breaking. Metabolism does not slow down until a man consumes 700-800 calories, or for women, 500-600. Its a wives tale about metabolism slowing down. Eating enough that you feel healthy is the level we should shoot for. Most people will find its in the 10-12 range. But assuming 10-12 is where the problem is. Many people who find low-carb works, ate a diet of 1000 calories before they started and we not losing weight.

Its not just excess protein, its any consumed protein. Its the main argument against the Atkins/Low-Carb diet in that protein is bad too. How can you advocate high protein. The answer is, we don't. Its the whole reason why the fat-fast is so effective.

My #6 is not based on stable blood sugar, but based on dieters who were trying to lose weight. This was compounded through low-carb. The fewer meals, the more weight they lost. Once you hit your goal, I believe in eating at least 3 meals per day. But if your blood sugar is stable, you actually inhibit weight loss. Hence I mentioned that this is not good for diabedics. I don't advocate low-carb for diabedics, nor high carb.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-01, 14:31

BF:

Quote:
Many people who find low-carb works, ate a diet of 1000 calories before they started and we not losing weight.

How can you advocate high protein.

the fewer meals, the more weight they lost

Exactly, 1000 calories a day and they were not losing weight. Restricted calorie does not work in the long run. The weight you do lose is largely muscle mass, and then it stops.

LC is not high protein, it is adequate protein. On average, followers of low fat / low calorie diets have lost lean muscle and have not been consuming anywhere near enough protein. In their book, Protein Power, the Eades provide calculations to determin your minimum daily protein requirements in an effort to repair this. Studies pointing to the ill effect of protein in a diet are studies done based on the assumption that carbs are also being eaten.

The goal is not weight loss; it is fat loss and a normalization in insulin sensitivity. More frequent meals stabilize blood sugar levels and insulin output. You cannot store fat in the abscence of insulin. Starvation diets will result in weight loss; lean muscle will be wasted, very little body fat is lost.

And while you do not advocate low carb for diabetics, Dr. Bernstein (a Type 1 diabetic) does. http://www.diabetes-normalsugars.com

Nat
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-01, 14:54
Registered Member

BF:

I agree with you there. My concern is the amout of pressure being placed by the media, and other outlets that support low-fat, low-carb and high protein. My own sister is following the twin-labs plan which is basically protein shakes.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-01, 14:59

BF:

Quote:
My own sister is following the twin-labs plan which is basically protein shakes.

Hopefully you will be able to convince her that this is not something she can maintain as a way of life. IMO, it is plans like the one your sister is on that puts LC in such a bad light with the general public.

Thanks for the *debate* it was quite interesting.

Nat
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-01, 11:00
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

SweetLoren, I know that losing your fat is probably the foremost thing on your mind right now and you are doing very well at it. While you are doing it, you are also teaching yourself how to eat properly for the rest of your life. Yep, there are ways to break plateaus, but good sense should always prevail. You're doing this for life, not for the moment. And you know what? Stuff happens along the way that makes it slow going. Take the time to let your body and mind rest.

Have a look in the Journal section under Group Journals and Projects. A group of people are doing what I call a metabolic shake-up. It may be what you need at the moment.

Karen
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 11:43
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Im sooooooo confused I dont know what to do?? How much protein should I eat and how many calories.....I ate my bodies requirments 4 both and I gained 20 pounds in 2 months with doing so,,.....could someone plz explain why that was happening and I did exercise and was VERY religouse to the diet....Im so depressed thanx yall
~*LORENA*~
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 12:41
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile hi Lorena

Karen has given some good advice. Maybe it's time to give the old routine a Shake UP or Shake Down, whatever

According to your profile, you've lost over 130 lbs in a year, and now are gaining some weight back. If your current weight is 187, which the profile shows, this means you actually got down to 167 ... meaning your loss totalled over 150 lbs in a single year by following Atkins program. That's a lot of weight to lose in such a short time either way. It would be normal for your body to want and NEED a break, and sometimes it will "go on holiday" even though you're still eating the same way. And every time you cut back or go on a fast of some kind .. whether it's ultra lowcarb fat fast, or a protein fast .. your body will think you're trying to starve it, and will adapt by slowing down.

The solution may be as simple as switching programs. In fact, my opinion is that Atkins has stopped working for you, if you truly are doing everything correctly. YOur body has adapted itself to the Atkins way of eating, and weight and fat loss has halted. So ... CHANGE!!! Do something new, shock your fat cells into moving again. SWITCH PROGRAMS!! CHANGE CHANNELS!!

You're in a rut, get yerself out of it girl! You can do it.

I recommend you try Protein Power ... the original version, published in 1995 (paperback in 1996). I bet you can borrow a copy from the library. It's a low-carb program similar to Atkins in some ways, but they encourage you to eat more high-fiber foods, vegetables and a little low carb fruit. REad the book thoroughly ... they will answer ALL of your questions. They will tell you how to calculate the correct amount of protein for YOU. They tell you how many carbs to have at each meal and snack. They give you 2 weeks' worth of menu suggestions, and recipes.

It just might be the change you need

Doreen
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 12:52
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

thanx.....are u sure that it will work 4 me?? I gained 20 pounds from 187 so I weigh like 210 right now....is protein power as good as atkins.....will it give me just as good as results as atkins....I have a sluggish thyroid but its not low enough so that they could diagnose me.....the thing is im afraid of change...im scared that if I change 2 protein power im gonna gain weight even more now....oh my temp averages around 96 d F....could u plz advice me....ill take any help u could give me I trust u dorreen...PLZ HELP me LOSE my weight to my goal....im willing 2 try anything.....one more Q? how much weight do u lose the first weeks?? is it as good as atkins??....Ive been through so much u all dont have an idea...all I want is a diet that is gonna take my weight off.....and if it does im willing 2 do it 4 the rest of my LIFE im not looking 4 a quik fix I just want the weight off
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 12:55
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

oh yeah 1 more thing lets say that I do protein power im loosing but I decide atkins is easier....could I get back on?.......or would my body recognise it as the same diet it was gaining on??.....ILL take any adice .......doreen ,Nat any of u knolegable ppl thank you all sooo much