Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 11:56

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 230/218/170
BF:
Progress: 20%
Thumbs up The Daffodil Principal

THE DAFFODIL PRINCIPLE

Several times my daughter had telephoned to say, "Mother, you must come see the daffodils before they are over."
I wanted to go, but it was a two-hour drive from Laguna to Lake Arrowhead.
"I will come next Tuesday," I promised, a little reluctantly, on her third call.
Next Tuesday dawned cold and rainy. Still, I had promised, and so I drove there. When I finally
walked into Carolyn's house and hugged and greeted my grandchildren, I said, "Forget the daffodils, Carolyn! The road is invisible in the clouds and fog, and there is nothing in the world except you and these children that I want to see bad enough to drive another inch!"
My daughter smiled calmly and said, "We drive in this all the time, Mother."
"Well, you won't get me back on the road until it clears, and then I'm heading for home!" I assured her.
"I was hoping you'd take me over to the garage to pick up my car."
"How far will we have to drive?"
"Just a few blocks," Carolyn said. "I'll drive. I'm used to this."
After several minutes, I had to ask, "Where are we going? This isn't the way to the garage!"
"We're going to my garage the long way," Carolyn smiled, "by way of the daffodils."
"Carolyn," I said sternly, "please turn around."
"It's all right, Mother, I promise. You will never forgive yourself if you miss this experience."

After about twenty minutes, we turned onto a small gravel road and I saw a small church. On the
far side of the church, I saw a hand-lettered sign that read, "Daffodil Garden." We got out of the car and each took a child's hand, and I followed Carolyn down the path. Then, we turned a corner of the path, and I looked up and gasped. Before me lay the most glorious sight.
It looked as though someone had taken a great vat of gold and poured it down over the mountain peak and slopes. The flowers were planted in majestic, swirling patterns-great ribbons and swaths of deep orange, white, lemon yellow, salmon pink, saffron, and butter yellow. Each different-colored variety was planted as a group so that it swirled and flowed like its own river with its own unique hue. There were five acres of flowers.

"But who has done this?" I asked Carolyn.
"It's just one woman," Carolyn answered. "She lives on the property. That's her home."
Carolyn pointed to a well kept A-frame house that looked small and modest in the midst of all that glory. We walked up to the house. On the patio, we saw a poster. "Answers to the Questions I Know You Are Asking" was the headline. The first answer was a simple one."50,000 bulbs," it read. The second answer was, "One at a time, by one woman. Two hands, two feet, and very little brain." The third answer was, "Began in 1958."

There it was, The Daffodil Principle. For me, that moment was a life-changing experience. I
thought of this woman whom I had never met, who, more than forty years before, had begun-one bulb at a time-to bring her vision of beauty and joy to an obscure mountain top. Still, just planting one bulb at a time, year after year, had changed the world. This unknown woman had forever changed the world in which she lived. She had created something of ineffable magnificence, beauty, and inspiration.

The principle her daffodil garden taught is one of the greatest principles of celebration. That is,
learning to move toward our goals and desires one step at a time-often just one baby-step at a time-and learning to love the doing, learning to use the accumulation of time. When we multiply tiny pieces of time with small increments of daily effort, we too will find we can accomplish magnificent things. We can change the world.

"It makes me sad in a way," I admitted to Carolyn. "What might I have accomplished if I had thought of a wonderful goal thirty-five or forty years ago and had worked away at it 'one bulb at a time' through all those years. Just think what I might have been able to achieve!"
My daughter summed up the message of the day in her usual direct way. "Start tomorrow," she said.
It's so pointless to think of the lost hours of yesterdays. The way to make learning a lesson of celebration instead of a cause for regret is to only ask, "How can I put this to use today?"
* Author Unknown

We convince ourselves that life will be better after we get married, have a baby, then another. Then we are frustrated that the kids aren't old enough and we'll be more content when they are. After that, we're frustrated that we have teenagers to deal with. We will certainly be happy when they are out of that stage.

We tell ourselves that our life will be complete when our spouse gets his or her act together, when we get a nicer car, when we are able to go on a nice vacation, or when we retire.
The truth is there's no better time to be happy than right now. If not now, when? Your life will always be filled with challenges. It's best to admit this to yourself and decide to be happy anyway. Happiness is the way. So, treasure every moment that you have and treasure it more because you shared it with someone special, special enough to spend your time with... and remember that time waits for no one.

So, stop waiting...
Until your car or home is paid off
Until you get a new car or home
Until your kids leave the house
Until you go back to school
Until you finish school
Until you lose weight
Until you gain weight
Until you get married
Until you get a divorce
Until you have kids
Until you retire
Until summer
Until spring
Until winter
Until fall
Until you die

There is no better time than right now to be happy. Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
So work like you don't need money,
Sing like no one’s listening,
Love like you've never been hurt,
And dance like no one's watching
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 11:59

BF:

Quote:
Repeat after me....I feel better.....I'm healthier....I feel better....I'm healthier......I feel better.....I'm healthier

I feel better, I'm healthier, I feel better, I'm healthier...yeah! That works for me, too Flintstone! By the way, I just saw where you're from and 'got' your handle. LOL! cool.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 12:02

BF:
Default A Name That Fits

Quote:
Unhurried Winners
Yeah! The unhurried, totally in control, laid back, soo kewl Winners That's us! hee hee
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 12:13
Living LaVita LoCarb

Plan: 40% 40% 20%
Stats: 292/242/160 Female 64 inches
BF:Next mini goal 225
Progress: 38%

Unhurried Winner...... I love that!!!!! I really love that!!!!!

Wow...I'm really loving that. I'm going to write it all over my house...I'm going to put up notes every where.

Did I say that I really love that

Well, I do. I lost 4 pounds my first week, but in the last 5 days...nothing has happened to the scale. I never lose 2 weeks in a row, but then this is a different way of eating...so....I'm gone see if it stands the test of time. And, You all are right...forget the scale, I am feeling better each and every day. Now I need to start incorporating some good physical exercise.
Cheryl
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 12:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/185/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%

THANK YOU K3N!
I love the Dolly Parton song "Dance" because it reflects my Mother's passion for life and what she tried to instill in me. I am afraid that in my life when I've had the choice to "sit it out or dance" I've chosen to sit it out too many times. My Mother was always out there on the floor and I'll bet that in a lifetime of many gardens, she planted more than her share of bulbs. Now more than ever it's time for all of us to live our live today!
Again, thank you for your sentiments.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 15:41

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

This is a great thread - Katherine - that was a great story.

I love the "Unhurried Winners" handle, too.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 17:01
Registered Member

Stats: 173/168/145
BF:
Progress: 18%

I feel so much better having read all of these posts! I have lost only 4 (ok, a whopping 4!) pounds on induction and I am 11 days in. But...I am convinced I am a complete carb addict and kicking the habit is more important to me than losing a million pounds in a day. I guess I just need to stick it out and see where this all goes. I'm going to start really reading those low-carb cookbooks I just bought in bulk (thank goodness bn.com has free shipping right now! haha) and drink my water. Slow loss is better than no loss!
Susan
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 17:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins modified
Stats: 280//180
BF:
Progress:

This is a GREAT idea. Went off of WOL as soon as I got pregnant and didn't jump back on until after I finished breastfeeding. Lord, is it much slower this time. But...you guys are right. There is no place else to go. We're going to start trying to have another child after the first of the year, but this time, I think I'm going to do things a little bit different. I'm going to continue the diet with one exception - I'm adding fruit. I figure that should provide me with sufficient carbs, plus, one added benefit - it keeps my house sugar free for my 8 month old son.

Take care!
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 18:35
Living LaVita LoCarb

Plan: 40% 40% 20%
Stats: 292/242/160 Female 64 inches
BF:Next mini goal 225
Progress: 38%

I was wondering how the pregnancy thing worked. My niece said she is going to start the program soon, but doesn't know if she should start right after the baby is born...it's due on Nov 21st. Or should she wait until after breast feeding. I thoght maybe she could start while she was breast feeding... Or at least while she's breast feeding she should stay away from the really bad carbs like, sweets and breads and pastas??? Any one got feed back...She's a slow loser too. She gained about 40 with this pregnancy...but on her last one, she lost 30 in the first 6 weeks, and never could get off the other 10..plus she needs to lose 30 or so besides that. She was wondering how this would affect breast feeding...I never though to ask here until I saw someone mention pregnancy.
Cheryl
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 18:41
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default hi Cheryl

Pregnancy and breastfeeding while low-carbing has come up before. You can read a discussion about it here and here. Hope this gives you the info you need.

Doreen
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 19:31

Stats: 324/253/150
BF:
Progress: 41%

Hi, my name is Dizz. I'm an Unhurried Winner. haha Is it misery loves company or new and improved.... Winners love company!! Count me in. 2lbs since Oct 26. Gotta conquer exercise.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 19:48

Stats: 175/???/145
BF:
Progress: 94%

I like that attitude Doreen! Thanks!
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 22:01

BF:

Quote:
Is it misery loves company or new and improved.... Winners love company!!
Oh hey, I like that, too! YES, it works for me!
Quote:
Count me in. 2lbs since Oct 26. Gotta conquer exercise.
Dizz, it's frustrating, but it's true that we do feel better, and well you're in such GOOD company here, that we'll just stick it out with you. I know what you mean about the exercise thing. I just do yoga once or twice a week. I bought a club membership and figure that I'm helping the economy if nothing else LOL
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-01, 07:03

Plan: Barry Groves - Dr Atkins
Stats: 175/173/142
BF:
Progress:

I'm in and you can't get a slower loser than me!!!!

Ditto to everything said.

Wonderful story Ka3 but my daughter would not be happy with you about the singing bit as I alway's sing like no one's listening and she's always begging me to be quiet. And we should all think like that all of the time as life is to short to worry about anything.

LOL to all,

Bez

#30   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-01, 12:28

BF:

Quote:
I love the Dolly Parton song "Dance" because it reflects my Mother's passion for life and what she tried to instill in me. I am afraid that in my life when I've had the choice to "sit it out or dance" I've chosen to sit it out too many times. My Mother was always out there on the floor and I'll bet that in a lifetime of many gardens, she planted more than her share of bulbs. Now more than ever it's time for all of us to live our live today!
Charlotte, I've not heard the Dolly Parton song, but your mom sure must have been an inspiration to many people. Your comment about now being the time to live our (own) lives today is so true. Don't you feel like this WOL helps us to take charge of an area in our lives that was either out of control or crazy-making-too-strickly controlled?