Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Dec-06-05, 16:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 159/141.7/130 Female 5'7"
BF: LOTS!
Progress: 60%

Quote:
I had quite a battle with the low rise jeans, I hear ya on that one, LOL! I wore nothing but straight leg, shrink to fit, 501 Levi's when I was slender before, and unfortunately discovered that they don't sell these in my current size anymore. After a nightmarish shopping spree, temper tantrums in every store in town, and pressure from my family to buy something in style to go with my new figure, I broke down and bought some -- the low rise, literally, was the only style of jeans they had in my size. I found high waisted jeans at WalMart in a size 8 that my husband had to wrestle away from me, LOL -- they were way too baggy and made me look "dumpy" when I tried them on.

Okay -- so what's the secret to wearing these things???? I'm forever trying to pull them up (they feel like they're slipping off!), and I hate the dent where they hit my belly!

Sure, they're comfortable enough if I have a long sweater over them, but how do you tuck a blouse into them? Also, the tops (can't call them waists) seem always to be huge, much bigger than I need -- so I have all that extra fabric sticking out. (actually, with regular jeans I also have a huge waist problem -- I've always had a very small waist in comparison to my hips -- currently I'm at 24" waist and 37.5" hips -- but with a reg waist you can sort of pull it in with a belt).

For example, I have a pair of Chico's (size 0.5, relates to a 6 I think) stretch jeans with a low waist -- the top part sticks out to where I can easily put a couple of fists in without stretching -- so naturally that sticks out under a thin top... (unfortunately, the hip region fits....)

Maybe I'm just built all weird!!!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Dec-06-05, 17:50

Plan: Maintenance (PPLP)
Stats: 216/131/140 Female 5 feet, 5 inches
BF:48.79/21.19/23
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKM
Okay -- so what's the secret to wearing these things???? I'm forever trying to pull them up (they feel like they're slipping off!), and I hate the dent where they hit my belly!

Sure, they're comfortable enough if I have a long sweater over them, but how do you tuck a blouse into them? Also, the tops (can't call them waists) seem always to be huge, much bigger than I need -- so I have all that extra fabric sticking out. (actually, with regular jeans I also have a huge waist problem -- I've always had a very small waist in comparison to my hips -- currently I'm at 24" waist and 37.5" hips -- but with a reg waist you can sort of pull it in with a belt).

For example, I have a pair of Chico's (size 0.5, relates to a 6 I think) stretch jeans with a low waist -- the top part sticks out to where I can easily put a couple of fists in without stretching -- so naturally that sticks out under a thin top... (unfortunately, the hip region fits....)

Maybe I'm just built all weird!!!

LOL, I know the feeling of fear they will slip off and pulling them up all the time....the first few times I wore them, that is exactly what I did! I really felt self conscience about my belly being so used to the high waist completely covering that area -- but once I got used to them, I found them comfortable and have gotten a lot of comments that these jeans are flattering to my figure. I don't even wear my old high waisted jeans left over from my younger, skinnier days now, with the exception of an old pair of Levis that are so baggy they fall down like the low rise anyway, LOL.

These pants seem to be made for all different shapes, you gotta just dig around a little to find what fits yours. I have one pair where the fabric sticks out in the back, but I love the way they fit everywhere else, so I just belt them in with a thin, ropelike belt.

If you are changing your style with jeans to fit with the current fashion (not a whole lot of choice if that is all that is in stores), you gotta do the same with shirts to go along with them....and there are plenty out there to flatter these types of jeans. Watch and see what everybody else your size and age is wearing -- my teenage dd had to help me, then I started noticing what other "moms" similar to my size were wearing -- "untucked" is definitely in. You can wear a blouse over the pants with a belt at the waist, let it hang down, or get blouses that tie at the belly button level.

I wear mostly thin t-shirts, sweaters, sweatshirts, untucked, that end right below the top snap of the jeans (like in my After Photo). These things also come in low rise and low/low rise.....my dd wears hers even with her pelvic bone, mine are right below or an inch below my belly button.

Ohh, a good pair of support panties will help with the indentation of your belly that the jeans cause -- just make sure you wear the panties low enough so they won't come over the top of the pants, LOL

Last edited by MeBLady : Tue, Dec-06-05 at 19:47.
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Dec-07-05, 10:02

Stats: 159/141.7/130 Female 5'7"
BF: LOTS!
Progress: 60%

MeBLady: Today I'm wearing a pair of Gloria Vanderbilt stretch jeans - low rise, of course. A friend of mine decided that she's never going to fit back into her 6s and 8s, so gave another friend and me a bunch of clothes -- and I now own about 15 "new" pairs of jeans, some of which never got the tags taken off! A variety of brands -- Guess, Lord & Taylor, Ann Taylor, Eddie Bauer, etc. -- washed them all last night (never, ever try to wash a full load of jeans (the Oxy-clean powder didn't completely dissolve!), and particularly never load the dryer with only jeans! -- most of the jeans I have to re-wash and put through the dryer again, this time a few at a time!)

Actually this pair is super-comfortable, and I am wearing a stretch t-shirt that isn't tucked in. However, I am not comfortable with any belly showing! (remember, I'm 61 years old -- you were born the year I graduated from college!). Maybe tonight I'll have the energy to try them all on and see what fits....

Support panties: I wear some soft ones over my panty hose (otherwise they tend to drift downward), didn't know they came in a "low-rise" fashion. I'll look for some next time I'm out shopping.

Maybe I'm just too old to wear jeans, but they seem so prevalent, and any type of top seems to go with them. I have nicer dress pants (from Chico's) but they're not "casual", and my job (tech writer at a startup) is definitely casual-dress!
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Dec-07-05, 16:40

Plan: Maintenance (PPLP)
Stats: 216/131/140 Female 5 feet, 5 inches
BF:48.79/21.19/23
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKM
Actually this pair is super-comfortable, and I am wearing a stretch t-shirt that isn't tucked in. However, I am not comfortable with any belly showing! (remember, I'm 61 years old -- you were born the year I graduated from college!). Maybe tonight I'll have the energy to try them all on and see what fits....

Support panties: I wear some soft ones over my panty hose (otherwise they tend to drift downward), didn't know they came in a "low-rise" fashion. I'll look for some next time I'm out shopping.

Maybe I'm just too old to wear jeans, but they seem so prevalent, and any type of top seems to go with them. I have nicer dress pants (from Chico's) but they're not "casual", and my job (tech writer at a startup) is definitely casual-dress!

Ahhh, congrats on acquiring the new jeans! Out of 15 pair, I'm sure you will find several that are as comfy as the ones you have on :-)

My stretch marks prevent me from being comfortable showing much belly....I don't mind showing a "glimpse" if I raise my arms, but that is about it. I've seen plenty of overweight teenagers wearing these low rise jeans with tight half shirts tho, fat rolls and all.

I don't think you are too old to wear jeans at all. My Mom just turned 61, and she wears them! She's still pretty heavy tho, so she has to wear the stretchy, elastic waists.

You look fantastic in your after photo -- I can picture you easily in these jeans with an untucked blouse for a nice, casual look that fits your age :-)

Last edited by MeBLady : Wed, Dec-07-05 at 17:11.
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-06, 06:39
Registered Member

Plan: PP
Stats: 144/115/115 Female 5ft 2in
BF:35%/22%/22%
Progress: 100%

I originally set my goal weight at 8 1/2 stone (119 lb) because that's a weight I remembered as being the upper end of what I was happy with. I was quite happy to carry on for a few more pounds, but when I hit 8 st (112) I felt it was time to actively stop losing. I'm 5' 2", so 110/112 ish isn't skinny, but it's low enough. It's what I weighed at 20, when dieting was just something my mother's friends did, and I ate whatever I wanted and never worried about my weight!
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-06, 08:04

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Lower-rise jeans actually seem to work better on my X-treme pear shape. I can't buy any kind of pants with a waistband that isn't way, way big at the back. I suppose I could get them altered--as I did recently with a nice skirt. But gee whiz. It's jeans.

A rise that hits me right at the hipbones works, when I can find the exact pair. Not easy, as you all know. I get stretchy denim to accommodate the plump thighs, and boot cut to balance out the legs and make them look little longer. I can dream.

The other day, I got a great sale price on a pair of 7/8s. Woo hoo! But they are cut way low, and I DO wear a long shirt tucked in to keep any skin from showing. Nobody wants to know I still consider myself a hottie at 60.
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-06, 09:36

Stats: 194/131/135 Female 63 inches
BF:Too/Much/Fluff!
Progress: 107%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
Lower-rise jeans actually seem to work better on my X-treme pear shape. I can't buy any kind of pants with a waistband that isn't way, way big at the back. I suppose I could get them altered--as I did recently with a nice skirt. But gee whiz. It's jeans.

I love low rise jeans, for that reason! My waist is my "problem" area, I loose weight better in my hips. So, I can wear a size 4 lower rise jean, but I'm sure I could not fit into a 4 if I had my old "mom jeans". If I get them to fit my waist, they are too baggy in the hips.

As to the original question. I am below my goal weight, and I have to admit that sometimes I get stars in my eyes and imagine myself going down to my pre-baby weight of 115. But, I'm just hitting menopause and I've heard people say it is harder to keep weight off when you are in menopause. 115 was my natural weight that I maintained without being on a diet, but I think those days are gone forever!

Last edited by ddaniels : Thu, Jan-19-06 at 19:20.
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-06, 16:11
Princess Sara

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 210/165.6/150 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:---
Progress: 74%

I've been wondering about this, too. I kind of think I picked 135 out of the air. I am moving into size 8 now, which is great. I want my goal weight to be a pretty much established 8. (From a tight 18.) My thin friends are telling me I shouldn't lose much more, but I don't really have a waist and I find this difficult with clothes--especially because I wear an insulin pump and usually hook it to my belt or skirt/pant's waist. It seems that the place I want to lose the most is coming off last...that is common, right?
Sara<><
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-06, 16:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarar
It seems that the place I want to lose the most is coming off last...that is common, right?
Sara<><

That's the way it's been for me! I've somehow managed to keep my boobs, but I'm concerned that if I keep loosing weight that's where I'll loose it next, and that's NOT where I want to loose it! So, do I want my waist to get skinny at the risk of no boobs???!!!! Decisions, decisions!
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-06, 18:24

Stats: 248/149.2/148 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

My daughters finally got me to try low rise jeans...I have been resistent ....and i cannot believe Im saying this...but I LOVE them...I just got a cute boucle short jacket to wear with mine...
I refuse to bare my belly so I have some really cute tops that either tuck in or are longer..and i am shocked at the number of compliments I get on them.
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-06, 19:29

When I switched to low rise jeans I started getting a lot of compliments too! Weird. Do you all watch "What Not To Wear" on TLC? When I started listening to some of their advice about clothes, it really helped. I have been overweight for most of my adult life and had just given up on ever actually looking good, so I only wore clothes to hide my body. While I was loosing weight I began to get some motivation back but I had NO IDEA how to dress. They give a lot of good advice. I'm short and models, manaquins, styles etc. are often geared for tall women, so I found it very hard to figure out how stuff should look on me. And when you are short AND fat, it's like trying to dress a beach ball!!! That show gave me hope because the women they dress often have "figure flaws" but they always managed to make them look great!
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-06, 21:28
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

I never thought that I'd be wearing low rise jeans too...but I am and I love them too!! They are not too low and sit on my hip bones...I do not allow my skin to show at all...not ever!! Not at my age!! (55)

I went to buy a new pair of levis as my last pair were size 18s from last winter and were falling off. I went to shop for them thinking I was a good size 12....ended up with a pair of brown cords in size 10 and they are now my favorite jeans!! with a nice jade silk turtle neck and I'm "in fashion"!! and my new white down jacket!!

Just because I'm old, I refuse to dress like I'm old!!

Have I changed my goal weight? Not really, just going to lose 5 more pounds for some wiggle room.
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-06, 05:21
Princess Sara

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 210/165.6/150 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:---
Progress: 74%

It was interesting to read how LC seems to changed body weight distribution. I've ended up with skinny arms and legs, thin hips, but I still carry my "bulk" around my middle...classic build for diabetics. You "hip" girls carry less risk for the disease; I guess that is your compensation. I, too have watched the "what to wear" stuff on TV--mainly Oprah. I like the low rise jeans, but I'm careful with my tops. I also like a boot cut or bigger bells (do we still call them "bells"?). I also wear mine with heels or pointed toed- cowboy boots. This is supposed to make me look taller. I'm 5' 4". I don't know if it does, but it makes me feel sexy.
Sara<><
  #44   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-06, 06:10

Stats: 248/149.2/148 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

Judy, Im with you ..I am 51...my daughters decided I was dressing too "sophisticated"...I wasn't hip enough..so they purged my closet and revamped my clothes...the rule was no belly flaunting for me...and they worked within that limit..I cannot tell you what a lift that was for me...they said you have a great body how abt showing it off some. OK so "great body" is a complete overstatement, but more figure flattering clothes do
make a huge difference. BTW I did change my goal from 149 to 142 then to 139...the current 135 just kinda happened....I have no idea if my body will stay here.
  #45   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-06, 09:05
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
BTW I did change my goal from 149 to 142 then to 139...the current 135 just kinda happened....I have no idea if my body will stay here.

I was 135 once...for about 5 minutes!! It was too thin for my frame as I did look sickly at that weight.

I hope that you can keep it if its working for you.

I think that we should all post pics in our low rise jeans!!