Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Aug-04-05, 04:20

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:

the highest prison walls are the ones we build for ourselves... and we're the only ones with the key.

That is so true, and well said.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Aug-04-05, 08:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202/180.5/135 Female 5 ft 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Gosh, maybe I should have made HER apologize for being hurt instead of looking in the mirror and learning a few lessons, Jody?

Wow...that is not what I said at all and I can't believe that you are infering that I was being mean or unkind to her - I am really offended. I did not say in any way at all that she should apologize for what she said and I didn't give her any reason to. That wasn't at all what I was saying and if you read my post again you will probably see it the way I meant it...I was trying to be kind and help her understand that this thread wasn't aimed at her - just that we all have feelings about our weight whether we are 10 lbs or 100 lbs overweight. My comment to DebbyD in no way indicated that she should apologize (which she shouldn't have) and I NEVER indicated that she didn't have a right to her feelings. I just said that I felt bad that she took what other people had to say so personally. I was trying to make her feel better. Although I do take your comment to me quite personally...it was mean for you to indicate to me that what I said should have extracted an apology from DebbyD. I can't even believe that you would warp what I said in that way. I have been treated like crap my whole entire life for the way I look and for being overweight and to have you make that kind of comment...like I would be unkind to someone like that...is very cruel.

DebbyD - you have no reason to apologize AT ALL. I just didn't want you to feel bad or to think that we look at you the way we see ourselves. I have never EVER in my life looked at another person who is overweight and thought the things about them that I have thought about myself. I am sorry if you felt bad - that wasn't the intention of my response. I just wanted you to feel better and I didn't want you to feel judged or to think that I would look at your stats and think anything poorly about you. We are all in this together - trying to support one another. And I would never ever hurt anyone else - especially in a way having to do with weight because I know how much that hurts. Just last week some women called me a "fat cow" to my face. That would hurt anyone - whether they weighed 140 lbs or 300 lbs.
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Aug-04-05, 10:19
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

At my weight I feel sometimes almost like a non-woman. An "it".
I am forever bumping into things. Sometimes I feel like a bird with lead weights on it. I want to fly but am tied down.
  #49   ^
Old Thu, Aug-04-05, 11:33

Plan: Atkins' OWL
Stats: 294/237.6/149 Female 5'8"
BF:oodles
Progress: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
I'm glad you're feeling better. Everyone's feelings are valid. The thinner people who hate their bodies are no less entitled to their pain than anyone else, but from the outside it's easier to see how the highest prison walls are the ones we build for ourselves... and we're the only ones with the key.

My intent isn't to make anyone feel stupid for feeling fat at a low weight, just to address the issue that we need to be at LEAST as kind to ourselves as we would be to a stranger. None of us would DREAM of going up to someone on the street and saying the harsh words we say to ourselves.

*BRAVOS AND FROM THE BALCONY*
  #50   ^
Old Thu, Aug-04-05, 16:56

Stats: 300/197/195 Female 62
BF:Long term goal-125
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessara
At my weight I feel sometimes almost like a non-woman. An "it".
I am forever bumping into things. Sometimes I feel like a bird with lead weights on it. I want to fly but am tied down.

Gosh Lessara, I feel exactly the same. But I am also so clumsy. I know I walk funny because of the pain in my knee and in my ankles. One day I am going to be so fit that they wont hurt anymore. And you will be a free bird, gracefully soaring the skies.
  #51   ^
Old Sat, Aug-06-05, 00:04
The fat slayer

Stats: 274.5/252.5/145 Female 5 foot 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%

I feel like a giant. When I ride in cars with my skinny friends I feel so big and I am sitting up so higher. I feel self concious to eat in front of people, like they wanna see what the fat girl eats. I always wonder if I would have more friends, more respect, or get that job I was perfectly qualified for but they picked someone else for it.

The worst part for me though is... I feel like my fat wants to bust out of my skin, I can feel the heaviness of the rolls agains my sides, the fat in my neck when I turn my head, my stomach pushing against my pants the feeling like I have a bunched up towel under each arm when i lay them against my side. I dont like the way any of this feels and will be so glad when its gone.

rachael
  #52   ^
Old Sun, Aug-07-05, 09:08

Plan: atkins
Stats: 174/169/153 Female 5ft 7.5 inches
BF:26%
Progress: 24%

I have not put in my 2 cents anywhere on this forum in a long time because due to certain health issues, I have had to switch to an organic diet. Anyway, having 10-15lbs of extra weight on one's body is frustrating. My clothes don't fit. I have dimply fat on my arms and I have never been comfortable with their size anyway. There are rolls on my side and extra unsightly fat on my stomach. I love swimming but I hate putting on a bathing suit because of the extra cellulite on my thighs. I will be 40 in December and I feel matronly.
  #53   ^
Old Tue, Aug-09-05, 17:42

Smile

Jody,

I tried to PM you. I want to say, please come back. I would really like the chance to get to know you. This board is a wonderful source of support. Here are some flowers to make you feel better. Debby

Hugs and kisses,

Debby
  #54   ^
Old Wed, Aug-10-05, 06:33

BF:

Oh DebbyD - you are so kind. I appreciate your sweetness. And of all days - today I needed it the most - I am feeling so sad. We loaned some close friends a table - not just any table - one that was handmade by my husband's grandfather and we never had any problems letting them borrow it before. It was really nice - 8 feet long and 3 feet wide with legs that folded down. But they went and loaned it out and now can't seem to get it back. I am pretty sure that we will never see it again. I am devastated for my hubby about it...I know he is feeling worse about it then I am and worst of all...I let them borrow it this time. He doesn't blame me at all but I feel horrible about it...I couldn't sleep last night and I ended up crying for an hour or so. And our friends actually offered us money for it...but the problem is - its simply irreplaceable. And I get the feeling that they just don't really care...and that makes me feel even worse.

Anyway...thanks for being so understanding and kind and replying back. I do understand the point that PotatoFree was making. I have been in the situation where someone who was a size 6 was complaining about their weight and I remember wondering what she must think of me if she thought she was huge in a size 6...lol. I guess what I am saying is that I am sorry...I didn't mean to make you feel bad if I did in any way. Really...I think it was kind of you to respond...and here is a little something for you...

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
  #55   ^
Old Wed, Aug-10-05, 06:34

BF:

well...my hugs for you didn't end up looking the way I had planned...but you get the picture. ;0)
  #56   ^
Old Wed, Aug-10-05, 12:40

BF:

DebbyD - try to PM me again...I am kind of new and don't know how to use all of the features quite yet. And...by the way - you look terrific! I am really proud of all of the healthy changes that you have made. Your daughters must be so proud of you!
  #57   ^
Old Wed, Aug-10-05, 13:28
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Hey Jody!!

I'm glad to see you posting again!! I did not misunderstand your first posts and did not find them offensive at all....I'm sorry that your first experience here was a confusing one. I also hope that you will start a journal!!

I think that you will need 25 posts before you can get or send a private message. Its something like that anyway.....

anywhoooooo...welcome to the forum!!
  #58   ^
Old Wed, Aug-10-05, 16:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody100467
DebbyD - try to PM me again...I am kind of new and don't know how to use all of the features quite yet. And...by the way - you look terrific! I am really proud of all of the healthy changes that you have made. Your daughters must be so proud of you!

Jody,
I tried again to pm you. It says you are not allowing private messages. Yes my daughters are so proud of me. Thank you so much for the wonderful comment.
Thanks for all the hugs. Did you know that a hug produces a "feel good hormone" in our bodies that actually keeps us healthier.Hugging generates oxytocin, a "nesting" hormone than may lower stress and protect the heart.
So I love the
:hugs: :hug: that you gave me. Debby
  #59   ^
Old Tue, Aug-16-05, 07:00

BF:

Thanks Judynyc - I am sooo happy to be here. Thank you for the kind words - you made me feel better about the whole thing...maybe I am too soft inside but I really try to think things through before I say them so that I don't hurt others. If I do hurt others or say the wrong thing - I always apoligize or else I walk around with a lump in my tummy until I can make it right - like I said....soft inside! lol ;0) Anyways...I am really excited about what this woe is doing for me. I have really been sticking to it like glue but I seem to be quite the slow loser - 19.5 pounds since May 15th - and about 3 of it came off over the last 5 or 6 weeks and no inches in that time (very little anyways). I am now starting to add in exercise - I just didn't want to spend my summertime working out when the weather was so beautiful out and the summer days were calling my name to come outside and play. ;0) (and the gardening) Last weekend I bought The Firm's newest program "The Transfirmer" and I am excited to get started so in the meantime I broke out my regular step and started working out this week doing step aerobics in my living room. ;0) Thanks for making me feel welcome.

Debbyd - I love hugs. I'm glad that you enjoyed them. ;0) And thank you for making me feel better and welcome.

I was going to put my email here in case either of you would like to email me....but I'm not sure if that is safe...would I start getting freaky emails from everyone under the sun? lol
  #60   ^
Old Tue, Aug-16-05, 14:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody100467
Debbyd - I love hugs. I'm glad that you enjoyed them. ;0) And thank you for making me feel better and welcome.

I was going to put my email here in case either of you would like to email me....but I'm not sure if that is safe...would I start getting freaky emails from everyone under the sun? lol

Jody,
I would be very careful about putting my email address out. I have been wondering how you are doing. I don't think your loss is slow at all. You are doing fabulous.

Debby