Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 01:05

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Telling friends and family

Hi everyone!!
Just wanted to let you know what I did. Well, first only my husband and kids knew. I didn't want to make it known if it didn't work. But then after 20 lb. or so, people started saying something...By then I was feeling pretty successful and willing to share what I was doing. Now, I'm telling everyone--my brothers and sister, Mom, aunts and friends. There just happy for me because they know how hard it's been for me.
Just before I started this way of life, I went to a family reunion in July...I was probably as heavy as I ever had been. It was a little embarrassing to see my cousins as a FAT person. But they all love me so it was wonderful....But I keep hoping we'll have another reunion next year because I expect to look like a different person. That is a tangible thing to look forward to, to see my family and see their faces. Already, it's been fun to have friends at church or my kid's school. I feel so successful!!!! I know I have a long road to go, but I can see a light at the end of the tunnel. Victoria
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 10:09

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

Hi, Victoria -- what a great attitude! I think your reluctance to tell at the beginning will strike a chord with many of us, especially those who have proudly announced "I'm on a diet!" only to slink away from that statement a week, a month, later.

With your attitude, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful reunion next time
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 10:32

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Telling family and friends

Hi Alto,
Thanks for the reply. The thing about telling friends and family is that once you tell you are locked into doing it. So I guess I wanted to know I was committed before I told anyone, so that within myself I knew I could do it and not fail. I'm having remarkable success, so sticking to it is not a problem. I think it's because it really works, and it is something I can live with for the long haul. Not like Fad diets--eat 9 eggs a day, then 9 bananas... Ever heard of that one?
Oh, and the reunion thing. I am truly looking forward to it, and it is something I put out there in my mind to keep me focused. But I've never believed in losing weight for an event: like a wedding or reunion. If I felt I could do it, I would have lost the weight years ago. I had a friend that stopped eating for almost 4 months to fit into a dress for my sister's wedding. That's just plain crazy, and unhealthy!! But now that I've found a way to drop the pounds, I am looking forward to the reactions on my family's faces. Also, in the past 10 years, I've become increasingly hesitant to see old friends ie. class reunions. But now I see a time in the future when I won't be bogged down by this excess weight. Victory always tastes much better than Defeat. I haven't felt successful about my weight in at least 10 years, so it's a new feeling. Thank the Lord above!! Victoria
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 10:43

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

Victoria, I agree on not trying to lose weight for a specific event. For some people it may work -- for someone who's been at a normal weight for most of adulthood and has just gained 10 or 15 pounds, losing it for a wedding makes sense. But too often people with a substantial amount to lose do set a goal -- 100 pounds by May, say, which probably isn't doable.

I hope no one minds, but I've posted two separate threads on this forum, one about coping with the holidays, and another "are you telling people" in line with the suggestion I made above. (That having separate threads for different topics makes the discussion flow better and also keeps one topic all in one place so people can find it easier later.)