Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, May-08-05, 17:13
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%

I just got the latest TravelSmith catalog. I love their stuff ... it's designed for travelers so many of their clothes are wrinkle and stain resistant. Men & Women's wear, free catalog. I'd say about 40% of their clothes are available up to 3X. Price wise ~ moderately expensive.

JC Penney offers about half it's clothes to size 3X. My mom likes this place and thinks it carries quality clothes ... but I'm not such a big fan. Moderate prices and free catalog.

Also ~ a bit off topic but Ample Stuff carries 'everything for big people but clothes'. Scales that weigh up to 1,000 pounds, large size exam gowns, XL umbrellas, wide width socks, etc.

Decent Exposures makes comfortable bras up to 54L! It's a small, women own business that has been operating in Seattle for many years. I had a bra made for me out of plush maroon velour ... so comfortable I forgot I was wearing it. They're not all that supportive, but good for containment and jiggle control. Price $30-$50 each.

Regarding Lane Bryant's attitude about using fat models:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Spit
People in the 'size acceptance' movement has contacted them repeatedly about this. {snip} That's the most important reason I stopped buying clothes from them.
Ditto.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, May-08-05, 17:59

Plan: general leaning toward Sb
Stats: 336/196/150 Female 5'4"
BF:gettin/down/there
Progress: 75%

Old pueblo traders.. sizes up to 6x.

Google it for coupons.
  #33   ^
Old Sun, May-08-05, 18:18
... Pro-Atkins!

BF:
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolks
Google it for coupons.

That remins me ... check out Naughty Codes for discounts on mainstream clothing retailers (and other stuff).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Codes promo
Online stores send out discount codes to SELECT groups of customers, leaving the rest of us to pay full price! To that we say, NO! We find and list ALL of the coupon codes and promotional codes that can be found. If it's out there, we have it! Be naughty with us by using these codes for added discounts when shopping online
They've helped me save $$$ a few times, but I'm sure they're in cahoots with the retailers.
  #34   ^
Old Mon, May-09-05, 09:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 281/210/200 Female 5'7.4
BF:44/34.12/34
Progress: 88%

I haven't seen this one added so I'll go ahead;
bandlu.com They have very trendy styles there.
  #35   ^
Old Thu, May-12-05, 01:52
Monday came.

Plan: my own
Stats: 275/228.6/155 Female 5'4"
BF:ummm . . . ?
Progress: 39%

I loved this thread--really got me thinking. I wrote the following in my journal, and decided to copy and paste just to bump the thread and hopefully get more folks' thoughts on what clothes mean to them, before, during, and after.

So whaddoIwanna say about clothes? This might sound weird, but I don't know what I want to wear. I mean, I can get dressed in the morning, I have a closet full of choices now rather than the 4 or 5 dresses that fit before and were starting to get nervous-makingly tight. I can put together a decent looking weekend outfit. Jeans fit now--still a little saddlebaggy in the thighs, but I even washed them and they still fit.

Some women are well dressed no matter what. They have rock knowledge of who they are and what they want, and know how to get it, and have the means to do so.

Me? When I was heaviest, it was whatever fits and fell within a pretty wide range of possibilities as far as fashion was concerned. Low point was probably when I saw some jumpers, thought they were kinda ugly, but I thought--at least they'll fit, they have to--and they were too tight to wear in public--and they were size 26. Now they were cheap, so might have been cut small--but I still remember standing in that dressing room and staring at myself in the mirror--I'd have given anything then to know I'd make it this far. . .

Anyway, I have these clothes from before--around 18s, and they are okay, but it's weird. It's like having inherited a closet full of clothes from an older sister that used to live here. I don't really know the person who collected and selected them.

I have some clothes back home that I look forward to wearing, some favorites, from a time I made it down to the 150ies, and a pinch below, for a summer or so. Right now, I have a few favorites that fit me now. Just clothes.

And I could probably get by without buying more clothes. I have enough at different sizes to be able to get by. Or I could do what I've done in the past, gone to the thrift shop and looked for things I like that fit. But when it comes to buying new clothes, I find I have no idea what I want--I've been stuck for so long only getting what I could find, and settle for, and make do with. . . .Actually, I saw a great silk sari at ishakti.com., peacock blue and metalic silver threads for accent-- Probably not a very realistic choice. Anyway, I don't know if this makes any sense to anyone else, but I get it.

The one thing I know about my taste in clothes is I want to be graceful. I'd like my jeans to flow from my waistband over my hips and down my legs. I'd like dresses to flow and swirl instead of covering a multitude of lumps.

I am on the edge of reaching the dreaded tweenies. The inbetween times. The neither fish nor fowl times. The not exactly fat and not yet thin and who am I and where's the cat and where is everybody anyway doldrums of weight loss.

I know when I was young, and thought I was fat at 140, I would have thought this would be a dreadful weight. Even at 180, this would have seemed awfully big. Now it's a triumph--but I still don't want to stay here. And I won't. But I'm here now. And it's better than where I was.

The cool thing about it this time around is that I have the TDC to walk through it with this time, which is enough to give me reassurance that I will get through it. I think that what I'm talking about is a process of identity shift, a change in the way I see myself, in my expectations for and from myself, in how I expect others to treat me.

I picture some people rolling their eyes in impatience with this. Who I am shouldn't change with my weight loss, but in fact, I feel different now. More aware, more alive. I think I was kind of tuned out, living in a perpetual state of denial, and therefore lack of awareness. Now the awakenings.

I think clothes are an intimate form of self-expression, a statement of how we see ourselves. Three piece suit, REI Seattle rainforest look, slinky silk saris, polyester purple pantsuits? I have never been thin long enough to sort out my sense of style--what would I wear if I could wear anything? I don't know the answer to that, and I intend to have a whole lotta fun finding out!

Edit: I learned something about me during the course of writing and re-reading this, and that is that I don't want to keep ANY clothes that I don't like. And I don't have to wait until I'm thin or at goal to winnow the closets and drawers.
  #36   ^
Old Thu, May-12-05, 10:08

Plan: My own
Stats: 340/340/180 Female 5' 10"
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 0%

http://stores.ebay.com/HOLYCLOTHING...VES-Sizes-Sm-5X

for anyone who's involved in the SCA or another medieval re-enactment society. I've gotten things from them via eBay and love them!

Nicole
  #37   ^
Old Thu, May-12-05, 10:20
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

Oh my gosh Nicole, I loved that site! I game and its alot of fun going to the conventions dressed the part!! Thank you!!

Hey anyone know of a place to get nice leather shoes for a wide foot? I have to get mens shoes for my nice pants at work. Thanks!!

This is a wonderful post Monika!! You are such a honey!!
  #38   ^
Old Thu, May-12-05, 11:40
... Pro-Atkins!

BF:
Smile

Klucas ~ Bandlu was fun! Thanks for sharing the site.

Kathleen ~ What a great journal entry. Thank you for posting it here. I'm working through some clothes issues, as well. Especially about turning 40 and getting slimmer at the same time. What is appropriate? What looks good on my new proportions? What's too young or too old? My clothing intuition has been thrown off by losing a lot of weight. But in a way - it's kind of fun. Now I can discover a new look that really works for me.

I love that you're getting rid of all the stuff you don't like. Why keep it if it just drags you down psychologically? I don't know if you have friends or family who would want the discards, but if not, consider donating them to a women's shelter or the YWCA. Plus size clothes are always in high demand.

Nicole ~ Thanks for the HOLYCLOTHING ebay link. I've thought of joining SCA just to have an excuse to wear this type of clothing.

Kassi ~ Try Zappos.com and Just Wide Shoes. I'll keep my eyes open for other places, too.
{{I'm a honey? You just made my day!}}
  #39   ^
Old Thu, May-12-05, 12:18

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Nicole Thanks for posting that link! That is my absolute favorite style of clothes. I know that next time I make a purchase I'll be checking their stuff out! I've never seen that company before.

Their clothes will be wonderful to wear for Sci Fi conventions and to Renaissance Fairs.

As a 20 year hard-core SCAer I ask, please don't wear them to events. Catch me in my journal if you want to talk about why.

Kathleen I found your post very interesting and I have been considering the same question a lot lately.

I think I was fortunate in learning to sew in college, when I was too poor to afford to buy clothes. I was able to choose what to make and what fabrics (as long as they were cheap!) and colors I like best, so I did have a chance to develop my own sense of style.

But I've been considering how I think I might want to dress as I get smaller. I've worn skirts and dresses pretty much exclusively since I was a size 24. I tend to be very hippy with big thighs. But I've been wondering if that will hold true as I get to a more normal size. Will I still love drape-y ultrafeminine styles, like the stuff at Holyclothing? Or will I suddenly develop a fascination with jeans and t-shirts, which I've never really been able to wear before. It will be an interesting question.
  #40   ^
Old Thu, May-12-05, 13:46
Still Wicked

Plan: none currently (WFPB now)
Stats: 235/112/120 Female 151 cm (4.11 1/2)
BF:
Progress: 107%

I used the plus-size section of Bare Necessities for bras and undies. The bra sizes go up to 54H. What a lifesaver this site was for me.
  #41   ^
Old Thu, May-12-05, 13:50

Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

Footsmart.com is good for wide shoes.

I just got the new Eddie Bauer catalog and was impressed at how many larger sizes they now carry.
  #42   ^
Old Thu, May-12-05, 16:05

Plan: No one plan
Stats: 208.5/180.5/150 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 48%

I'm actually surprised no one mentioned this (or if they did, I missed it ), but Newport News has great clothes and CHEAP! And not cheaply made from what I can tell. The only problem I've ever had was one pair of shoes fell apart - but that was due to my dog eating them and not the way they were made

They also carry wide width shoes and up to size 11.. which has always been a pain for me since I am an 11, so it's nice to find a place that has decently priced shoes (that don't look like a grandma should be wearing them!) in my size.
  #43   ^
Old Fri, May-13-05, 00:11

Plan: sugar bad, gluten worse
Stats: 230/191/160 Female 65 inches
BF:too/too/much
Progress: 56%

i'm on the verge of needing to buy new clothes, i mean there is a little baggy and then there is way too big. now this is a good thing, but honestly i don't know where to begin. i've worn jeans, teeshirts and sweatshirts for so long. and for work i wear scrubs, and now even the color is dictate by my hospital. i see pretty stuff in catalogs but then think "where would i wear it??" i'm just not comfortable going out to run errands or whatever in anything remotely stylish. part of it is that i do highly value comfort, but much, i'm afraid, is just cowardly habits of big, loose, fat girl clothes.

any suggestions on breaking out of my rut?
  #44   ^
Old Fri, May-13-05, 01:15
Monday came.

Plan: my own
Stats: 275/228.6/155 Female 5'4"
BF:ummm . . . ?
Progress: 39%

Hey Babe,

Amble over to Lands End online and set up a Virtual Model with your size, skin and hair color, face shape, features, etc. Then try different clothes on her and see if anything appeals to you.

Go to stores and try on clothes on yourself.

Get your colors `done' or better yet, check out a book from the library about which colors look best on you. (I like the spring-summer-fall-winter way of looking at it--it's really easy to learn and remember your colors that way--I think the book is called, "Color Me Beautiful."

There are lots of clothes that are stylish and becoming and also comfy, too. Start change small with something you love--a pretty new t-shirt that fits a little better? Don't overwhelm yourself with a bunch of new stuff that doesn't turn out to be `you'--and lots of pride and self-affirmation for your great accomplishment.

And finally, I suggest plenty of time browsing through the sources listed in this thread!
  #45   ^
Old Fri, May-13-05, 01:40
~strange as angels~

Stats: 256/249/150 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:51%/49%/30%
Progress: 7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfiesask

I love Holy Clothing! I've got lots of their stuff. I actually came here to post about them, but I see that someone beat me to it!