Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-06, 13:40
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcxyz
hello!

i'm not actually doing a low carb diet, but a similar one to fight a disease i have. starch is the main problem ingredient. i really miss pancakes/waffles and such, this recipe looks great, especially from all the great things everyone has said about it.

i was wondering if there was a non-starchy whey protein substitute. (i know whey is starchy, so the whey protein must be as well right?)

also, is it ok to substitute regular sugar for the splenda? i don't need artificial sweetener.

any ideas/feedback would be a big help!
thanks everyone!

In my opinion (and probably everybody here ) nobody needs sugar...but I see no reason why you can't substitute it if you must.

As for the starchy question, whey protein isolate has zero starch, and wheat protein isolate has very close to zero starch. Were you thinking of vital wheat gluten maybe? It has a very little amount of starch. We don't DO starch here...
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-06, 15:33

Plan: none
Stats: 130/130/160 Male 5 11
BF:7.5%
Progress: 0%

thanks for your reply! i really didn't know if whey protein isolate was starchy or not. i read that whey was starchy because it is a product of corn and assumed that WPI would most likely be starchy as well. i'm glad that i'm wrong . about the sugar, i would rather use the real/natural thing whenever possible (especially since many artificial sweeteners have been found to be not safe, or at best controversial)

DOWN WITH STARCH!!

Last edited by abcxyz : Thu, Jan-05-06 at 15:43.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-06, 16:33
Kitchen Experimenter

Plan: General LC Maintenance
Stats: 230/160/165 Male 70 inches
BF:way less now
Progress: 108%

Quote:
thanks for your reply! i really didn't know if whey protein isolate was starchy or not. i read that whey was starchy because it is a product of corn and assumed that WPI would most likely be starchy as well. i'm glad that i'm wrong . about the sugar, i would rather use the real/natural thing whenever possible (especially since many artificial sweeteners have been found to be not safe, or at best controversial)

DOWN WITH STARCH!!

again you won't get many here to agree with you about sugar and BTW there is nothing natural about granulate proccessed sugar.

Read the book Sugar Blues sometime.
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-06, 16:44
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Refined sugar: the original artificial sweetener.
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-06, 16:51
Kitchen Experimenter

What Are Sugars And Starches?

Quote:
The Sugars
The simple sugars in foods that are most important to human nutrition are called sucrose, fructose, lactose, and maltose. But the body wants the simple sugar called glucose, so these other simple sugars break apart in the body to become glucose. They do this by coming apart easily at the water connections.

Quote:
The Starches

Now, let's talk about starches. Starches include such foods as potatoes, cereals, wheat and other grains, and rice. A few paragraphs above, we talked about mono-saccharides and poly-saccharides. Mono-saccharides are the simple sugars. Poly-saccharides are the complex sugars. Starches are complex sugars, and complex sugars break down into one of the simple sugars (maltose), and then to glucose by (you guessed it!) easily breaking apart at the water connections.

#36   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-06, 13:15
Registered Member

Quote:

DOWN WITH STARCH!!

By the way, whey does not come from corn (the sugar dextrose is processed from corn, however). Whey comes from milk.

And if you want the real, natural thing when it comes to sugar, avoid refined/processed sugar at all costs. I.e., if it's white, it's NOT natural. Just because it's become a "normal" product in western society and in the last hundred years or so, does NOT make it natural.

Finally, if you're missing digestive enzymes to break down starch (complex carbohydrates) into sugar, there are simple ways of dealing with these issues, ranging from a simple digestive enzyme purchased from the health food store, to the simplest of all, avoiding simple and processed carbohydrates and sticking to low- or no-carbohydrate vegetables in your diet.
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-06, 14:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGirl
By the way, whey does not come from corn (the sugar dextrose is processed from corn, however). Whey comes from milk.

And if you want the real, natural thing when it comes to sugar, avoid refined/processed sugar at all costs. I.e., if it's white, it's NOT natural. Just because it's become a "normal" product in western society and in the last hundred years or so, does NOT make it natural.

Finally, if you're missing digestive enzymes to break down starch (complex carbohydrates) into sugar, there are simple ways of dealing with these issues, ranging from a simple digestive enzyme purchased from the health food store, to the simplest of all, avoiding simple and processed carbohydrates and sticking to low- or no-carbohydrate vegetables in your diet.

i know the white stuff isn't natural, but isn't there a sugar you can get that is a brownish yellow color that is natural?
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-06, 18:24
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

You can get many forms of natural sweetners that are much better then refined sugar if you don't like the thought of artificial sweetners

Stevia- This is a natural herb sweetner that is much more powerful then sugar or artificial sweetners. It is not sold as a sweetner in the US, rather as a suppliment due to FDA. In asia and other countries it is used as a sweetner quite a bit. Hard to work with, but 100% natural and without the bad effects of sugar

Honey, unsweetened apple sauce, turbanado sugar, agave and others are also unprocessed sugars. Some are dextrose and some are fructose. They can still cause problems with blood sugar and onset of type II diabities, but they are a better alternative to processed, white sugar.

The bad ones - refined sugar, high fructose corn syrup - These have been proven in many studies to have negative long term effects. While artificial sweetners may or may not have issues, these two have been proven many times to have negative impact on health.
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-06, 02:43

where would i buy whey protein isolate? i went to the grocery store today and they only had whey protein shake mixes. is that the same thing that the recipe calls for, or can you buy pure whey protein isolate? if so, where would i find it?

thanks!
  #40   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-06, 03:22
Kitchen Experimenter

#41   ^
Old Sun, Jan-08-06, 09:14

Plan: Protein Power/a la carte!
Stats: -/-/150 Female 66 inches
BF:Yes!
Progress: 49%

Kevin, that link is for wheat protein isolate (as opposed to whey protein isolate) - have you used this wheat PI in anything? I've never seen it here and would love to know whether it's worth trying to get some, especially for bread recipes. Does it have the same 'whang' that vital wheat gluten has?
Babs
  #42   ^
Old Sun, Jan-08-06, 09:43
Kitchen Experimenter

oops! nevermind(in my best gilda radner impression)

yes I have used the WPI 5000 and have an order in for the WPI 8000.

I sub the WPI 5000 for whey protein in my muffins.
  #43   ^
Old Sun, Jan-08-06, 11:55
Registered Member

Quote:
where would i buy whey protein isolate? i went to the grocery store today and they only had whey protein shake mixes. is that the same thing that the recipe calls for, or can you buy pure whey protein isolate? if so, where would i find it?

thanks!

Most whey protein shake mixes come in two basic kinds, those WITH sugars added (high carb) and those without (low carb). You have to read the ingredient list, but that is how most WHEY Protein Isolate protein powder comes, in a "shake" or "drink" mix or "supplement", in a large can, in health food stores, drugstores and pharmacies and even grocery stores. You can always ask the staff, they usually want to help.

It often comes flavored. For baking, it's easiest to look for "Unflavored" or "Natural".

Please take this the right way, but a lot of "beginner" and basic questions are answered in the Newbies' Questions
http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110 <-----
forum, for the lat 5 years or more these same questions are asked by anybody exploring low carb. It's CHOCK full of valuable information you may want to browse, rather than having those kinds of questions in this Bread & Baked Goods:Fake Bisquick recipe thread.

Hope this helps.
  #44   ^
Old Sun, Jan-08-06, 11:56
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greannmhar
Kevin, that link is for wheat protein isolate (as opposed to whey protein isolate) - have you used this wheat PI in anything? I've never seen it here and would love to know whether it's worth trying to get some, especially for bread recipes. Does it have the same 'whang' that vital wheat gluten has?
Babs

What's a "whang"? And there's tons of discussion on Wheat Protein Isolate in the Kitchen Talk forum.....
  #45   ^
Old Sun, Jan-08-06, 13:52

Plan: Protein Power/a la carte!
Stats: -/-/150 Female 66 inches
BF:Yes!
Progress: 49%

Ermmmmmm, a 'whang' is like a cross between a taste and a smell - I find gluten flour to have an odd ..... 'je ne sais quoi' flavour that the word 'whang' seems to fit . Carbalose has a peculiar 'whang' too - it has to be covered up with spices and flavourings.
OK, enough digression on this thread - I promise to shut up now(here anyway)!
Babs