Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sun, Jun-12-05, 16:06
Me and My DH

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/235/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 41%

Gina -- I would never ever say it is wrong to be a "stay at home mom" and care for your child/children. I feel it is unfortunate that our society has come to a place where that is very tough for some women to do. It is sad to me. God bless you for having such love in your heart -- that is something to be happy about. Good luck to you
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Wed, Jun-15-05, 22:34

Plan: no sugar no flour, Atkins
Stats: 196.5/175/120 Female 5 feet 3 inch
BF:JUST HAD A BABY
Progress: 28%

Been real depressed latley. I hate living in this small town and i am very homesick, but i have no choice right now. I have to try to take care of myself, weather i want to or not. I hate that
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Jun-16-05, 13:38

Plan: Keto/Low Carb
Stats: 170/120/100 Female 5ft.0in.
BF:
Progress: 71%

Do you mind if I join in? I have suffered from anxiety and depression most of my life and most of the time has been untreated.
I don't know about you all but I am a master at hiding this from others. Only my friends and family know.
Anyway I am ready to start getting better and would like to join your support if that is OK.
  #49   ^
Old Thu, Jun-16-05, 15:26
LC Bridezilla

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 122/99/105 Female 62 inches
BF:Who/Cares
Progress: 135%

Cheri, of course you can join...this is an open forum and you are more than welcome. I know what you mean about hiding it...most people don't know about me either.

I'm glad you're ready to get better...have you thought of seeing someone for it?
  #50   ^
Old Thu, Jun-16-05, 19:05

BF:

Thanks Kryssi
My regular Dr prescribed Lexapro just yesterday.
I've been in therapy before and didn't stick with it long enough.
Right now I am just too busy to start therapy but probably will later.
  #51   ^
Old Thu, Jun-30-05, 16:58

BF:

I thought this was a support group.
Where is everyone?
  #52   ^
Old Fri, Jul-01-05, 06:52

Plan: My own combo
Stats: 147/135/132 Female 1.72cm (5'8'')
BF:no clue
Progress: 80%

I guess we are too depressed to hang around here....I know I am.
  #53   ^
Old Mon, Jul-04-05, 10:55
Registered Member

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 188/188/120 Female 5'6"
BF:40/-/18
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmy207
Yes. I have suffered from depression for years, since I was 14.

Same here -- this summer marks eight years for me. I've just started therapy and Zoloft. The part that worries me is that I'm so ashamed of how I feel, I don't know if I'll be able to give my therapist an accurate picture of what I'm going through. I'm scared she'll tell me I'm completely crazy and un-fixable. Fingers crossed!

Many hugs to everyone else going through these things.
  #54   ^
Old Mon, Jul-04-05, 13:05

Plan: My own combo
Stats: 147/135/132 Female 1.72cm (5'8'')
BF:no clue
Progress: 80%

Bennet....

Next month will be exactly one year ago that I did *tilt*. I had a nervous breakdown and had to be *institutionalized*. I'll never be *normal* since I've always had depression and tried to end it all a few times. BUT things do get better. Sometimes things start going down again but I try really hard to pull myself up again. Also I learned that I will never be *cured*....I just have to learn to live with *it*.

About being ashamed...don't be. This is not a character flaw, it's a disease.

You know what this guy in my group therapy told me? He said he embraces his depression since it gives his life -and himself- an extra dimension.
  #55   ^
Old Thu, Jul-07-05, 11:33

Stats: 255/255/150 Female 67
BF:way too much

It has been a while since I have been back. I sucessfully got off my Zoloft and replaced it with Atkins and exercise 6 days a week with weight training. I felt on top of the world. Went on vacation went off the diet and am back down that whole. Feel like a total failure. So, why don't I get back on the horse? I don't know. I just don't feel like I have the energy to do it. My clothers are getting tighter I know I am the heaviest I have ever been. I don't want to go back on my AD I know I can be sucessful without them but the struggling with depression and weight is such a vicious cycle

Erin
  #56   ^
Old Thu, Jul-07-05, 11:36

Stats: 255/255/150 Female 67
BF:way too much

Cheri, they tried me on Lexapro and I felt like a zombie. It was horrible. Many of my patients were on it and felt the same. I started a journal and have been able to go back and read it. It helps with seeing the growth and also to identify patterns.

Hugs
Erin
  #57   ^
Old Sun, Jul-17-05, 10:30

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/175/158 Female 5'10"
BF:I am 5'10" tall
Progress: 57%

Hi,

last week I was here alone....

my son was away at camp....

I ordered a hungry howie pizza and breadsticks, "I ate everything within 24 hrs."

the next day, after it was gone.......I ordered another one with breadsticks and I ate that within 24 hrs.....

Life seems unfair to me...the way people treat me, the way everything has turned out.....yet, I know I have to try and move ahead, yet some days it is so difficult to do........when you are without a support system..
  #58   ^
Old Sun, Jul-17-05, 10:31

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/175/158 Female 5'10"
BF:I am 5'10" tall
Progress: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBREAD
I thought this was a support group.
Where is everyone?

Lol, we come and go...sorry, I am going to try to be here more often....

READ MY POST ABOVE AND YOU WILL UNDERSTAND.....
  #59   ^
Old Sun, Jul-17-05, 12:05
Me and My DH

Stats: 300/235/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 41%

I just have to post this, because I am very truly curious about it and my eyes have been opened to new (for me anyway) things about how the body operates and reacts to certain things. Clear as mud? I am referring to the mind/body connection in particular. When things are out of balance or "wrong" in the body, it is very possible to also have that effect the mind. I have a thyroid condition, and prior to being diagnosed with that and subsequently treated, I thought I was just losing my mind. The thyroid, when not functioning properly, can wreak havoc with your emotions/thoughts. It is amazing and kind of scary. What I'm wondering is if those of you who are suffering depression have been tested or checked for proper thyroid function. I've read that often doctors see a patient for depression, prescribe anti-depressants, the patient still suffers and wonders why the anti-depressants aren't working, all because they have an untreated thyroid condition. I know this is not the "catch-all" cause of depression -- there are many causes and contributors to depression. However, I think it is something worth at least checking, just in case. Just thought I'd throw that out there and see what you all think.
  #60   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-05, 12:12

Plan: dietitican prescribed
Stats: 272/186/159 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 76%

Hi,

I have suffered, endured, seem to over come, only to crash back down again with chronic clinical depression and anxiety disorder since early childhood. I wasn't diagnosed until about 8 years ago. I was put on Zoloft and that worked fine for about 2 years then slowly stopped working. I tried Effexor and Welbutrin but both of those made the depression worse. I finally went on a fairly low dose of Prozac and was maintaining just fine. Through all of this I have gone to counseling. Almost a year ago I lost my health insurance and with it my medications. I was cruising right along just fine, without medication, using the tools that I learned in counseling and having the help of my DH and DS. I had a few "crashes" but nothing significant as in years past until now.

Each day I feel myself slipping further and further down that slippery slope and more days than not I find myself thinking of ways to end it (I doubt I will though as I am too scared to do anything and the thought of what would happen to my son prevents me). It presents a interesting dichotomy. Here I am, doing Atkins to improve my health all the while I am thinking of ways of ending my life. I try very hard to be a positive person, but these last few weeks I have been anything but. I know that a lot of what I am feeling has been started due to situational influences but the depression that lingers is not situational induced. Those of you who don't suffer from situational depression will know what I am talking about when I say that there is a noticeable difference between situational depression and a chemical imbalance induced depression.

I really really really don't want to go back on the meds, but I don't know what else to do. I feel like one of the "dementors" from the Harry Potter story has sucked all the joy out of me and no amount of chocolate will bring it back. I guess I need to go back to counseling.