Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Apr-26-05, 17:37

Plan: None
Stats: 170/150/130 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheWooo
It takes awhile for the body to recover from amenorrhea related to stresses like rapid weight loss (whether from exercising or restriction), and nutritional deprivation. Keep eating more foods and hopefully it will come back.
That's what I'm doing but no sign of it yet.

Another possibility is you might simply be too thin for your body. You would have to gain some weight back to restart your period. 108 lbs at 5'4 is underweight for the average, and your body might have an above average set point. Clearly you can see the problem if this were the case . My weight is similar and I'm 5'5, and also amenorrhetic. I'm currently eating more foods and hoping that as I maintain it will come back... and trying to gain weight (but must admit I really really don't want to and am not trying as hard as I could be ). If it doesn't come back I'll eventually put on weight but right now I'm still to insecure with weight maintenance to do that.

I don't know how afraid you are of slipping and regaining out of control. If you aren't I would suggest putting on some weight back ASAP. If you aren't then for now just try to eat more calories, reassure your mind that this won't make you lose control and gain... and then when you're ready, you can feel confident enough to gain a few pounds. In the meantime you might want to investigate getting on birth control to supply your body the hormones it needs that it isn't producing.

I have had two bouts of amenorrhea (currently in the second one). The first lasted about 5 years. I didn't get my period back until I was 40 pounds heavier than I was when I lost it. The second time I lost my period, it was at a weight about 10-15 pounds heavier than the first time I lost it. I currently still don't have my period and am about 15 pound heavier than at the weight I lost it this time. Sorry, too many numbers being thrown around! In any case, I hope I don't have to go the total 40 pounds again to get it back since I started at a higher weight when I lost it.

The first time I lost it, I went to a doctor and she put me on some progesterone, but that didn't help. I recall getting cramps like I thought I might get it, but I never bled.
Sponsored Links