Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, Apr-19-05, 17:44
Registered Member

Plan: SBD/Atkins
Stats: 18/18/10 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 0%

I had my first u/s yesterday and when they went to weigh me I felt like I was going to faint! I HATE seeing those #'s on the scale, but I actually managed to lose 2 lbs in the last 2 weeks. I haven't been counting carbs yet, but I've been eating more fruit (which I know can be high in carbs) instead of the other junk like cookies and snack cakes. I was pretty happy and the Dr. didn't complain at all I'm just hoping I can keep it up. I've been getting to the point that only certain foods sound good. The rest make me feel like I'm gonna be sick just thinking about them. The other night I ate 2 tacos AND half a personal pan pizza. I can't even imagine how many carbs were in the pizza since it was deep dish!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Tue, Apr-19-05, 18:44

Plan: Primal/Paleo
Stats: 255/241/145 Female 5 feet 9 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

Hi Everyone,

I am 16 1/2 weeks pregnant with baby #2! I'm so excited. I'm also a little disappointed that I was even more overweight at the start of this pregnancy than I was with the first one.

In 2003 I was doing Atkins and went from 215 to 195 and suddenly stopped gaining weight. I found out soon after that I was pregnant. I made the big mistake of not sticking to LC. Not controlling my carbs led to eating lots of junkie stuff like chips, cookies and ice cream, etc. Anyhow, I ended up with borderline GD. The midwife put me on the Diabetic Diet and I couldn't believe how many carbs they wanted me to eat. Instead I stuck with Atkins and kept the carbs at about 100 grams a day. My son was born at 7lbs 6oz, very healthy little boy.

I ended up really veering off Atkins again since I breastfeed my son. I did try to watch the processed carbs but anyhow, I didn't watch them enough. Cause I was at 214 when I found out I was pregnant with baby #2 in January. So now it's April, and I'm about 220lbs. 6 lbs is not too much of a gain at all considering I didn't really start officially LCing until a week ago when I had a stomach bug. I got up to 234 with my son. I'm trying to at least stay level, and I have stayed at about 220 for the last month.

So I'm following a paleo diet, and I use a lot of good stuff in Nourishing Traditions. Even before starting back on LC I've been following advice on the Weston A Price site and I feel great.

As for exercise, I was doing really good starting in May on going on the treadmill or taking a walk outside 3-4 times a week, but last week I got some kind of stomach bug and this week I have a cold and I'm just so tired from being sick for a week and a half. I'm anxiously awaiting the Prenatal Yoga dvd and can't wait to start doing that.

Meg_S, I was doing some very light weight training but lost my ooomph on that in February. I really want to start doing it again though!
  #48   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-05, 09:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 208/200/155 Female 5ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress:

Elizabeth - I agree with Jenn (Jade74) - don't add "bad" carbs to your diet!!!! I have found rice with only 23 carbs a serving (as opposed to the 35+ most have) and inhale your baby carrots - they yummy and easy to carry. Eat some more nuts! My only concern for you is that you are not overweight - so you really should be gaining some - if not the reccomended 25-30 pounds!! That means healthy weight gain - the kind that really does just come off after the baby is born. I experienced that with my first two - if you eat in a healthy way, your weight gain will be appropriate, you'll have a healthy baby and you won't struggle as much (it still takes discipline) to get that baby weight off.

Sorry for the lecture...

Treencee
  #49   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-05, 09:17
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Congrats Jaybird and welcome to our forum - hope we can encourage you to be strong!

Treencee
  #50   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-05, 19:03
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%
Default don't know where else to put this

this is very off topic..
My skinny husband has started low carb to lose fat. He's got a quick metabolism... ok, I've smelled ketosis on myself and never felt it was very bad. He STINKS!!!! LLOOLL I never understood the complaints around here until now. heheheh those abs had better come in quick
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-05, 20:53

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 222/199/120 Female 62.5
BF:?/30/20
Progress: 23%

LOL Meg,
My husband usually looses very well eating what I fix, when I'm really good, people always comment to him that he must be loosing and we don't do a plan in Ketosis, so he might would be just fine doing a bit more carb, sure what fat he wants to loose won't come off as fast, but does he really need to do that minimal of carb? Just a question. Anyway, my husband just started working for the prison and he gets to do Police Academy, guess who is going to be workout out big time. I definetly need to get back to feeding him right. I haven't been so good about making breakfast since I had this last baby, let alone this pregnancy.
You really don't need to gain weight during pregnancy, particularily if you are overweight. I have always lost and my babies are healthy and not fat, and that is with GD. Weight gain comes for the high carb diets that they put women on, I'm living proof that low carb, weightloss in women that are obese is just fine, my dieticians hated it, my Doctor was fine with it. A baby will grow just fine if you are well nurished and that doesn't mean we have to gain weight to do that. In fact the more overweight you are the less you should gain. Pretty much if you maintain your weight, and gain it should be pretty much, baby weight, placenta, blood volume, and that is about it. We already have the fat we need for nursing, and generally, at least I do have plenty of breast tissue so I don't need to add weight there either. So that could be anywhere for 8 to 10/12 lbs depending on the size of your baby. That is just my humble opinion, I think we put too much emphasis on weight gain, and that is what is helping women have trouble loosing the weight after pregnany.
So Elizabeth I would think 15-20lbs for you would be okay. I gained 20lbs with my first two babies, from my low point, which ultimately was about 5 lbs with the first, and 10 lbs with the 2nd. Do what the others suggest in eating good high fiber carbs, and get the veggies in. I know it can be hard, I'm just getting back to the veggies, it is hard for me to eat complex carbs, and protiens in my first trimester, they don't smell good, and they don't taste good, but eventually I start craving them big time.
Everyone else have a good day or two. My kids are on spring break so I don't get on the computer much when they are around.
Keep this place a going strong.
Tanya
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-05, 10:01

BF:

Yes, my midwife said I should gain 20lbs total, but for me being obese according to my bmi of 31, I don't feel that's neccessary at all. I've stopped gaining since I started completely steering away from bread, sugar, etc, and even lost a pound this week. I'm just wondering how my midwife will react if I don't gain that 20lbs she thinks I should gain. I guess I shouldn't really care what she thinks, as long as I am healthy.
  #53   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-05, 12:46

Stats: 142/136/136 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Thank you so much for your replies! The suggestion have really helped, but even more so the support! I know I'm not overweight and I'm definitely not trying to lose at this point. I was 142 and dropped to 136 *before* I got pg. I gained 50lbs. with my first DD and 45 came off within 6 weeks after I had her. Then I gained another 10 lbs. over the next 2 years or so. But since I'm in a higher risk category this time (due to various factors), I don't want to gain that much. I am going to shoot for 20-25 lbs. and "healthy" weight gain.

Upping the veggies and fruits are probably the best strategy for me. I have no desire to eat grains, truly. The thought just makes me gag right now. Although I eat about 1/2 cup. of berries a day and try to get in a plum, i know I need more fruit. I've added back in bananas and mango season is also coming up in South Florida . I'm glad I got feedback about the juice - I haven't had it again and just have to remember to buy oranges instead of OJ!

All of this reminds me that i need to go to the store - ugh! I've been so nauseus the last couple of days that the thought of the store sucks!
  #54   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-05, 13:33
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

ahhh I love it when TigerSue posts!! It makes me feel good about what I am doing ie: NOT gaining weight, on two levels. 1) Of course it would make me feel better about my body, but 2)most importantly good for the baby. I think I eat very nutritious foods, and as long as my body isn't stealing them and not leaving stuff for the wee one I'm happy.
  #55   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-05, 19:01

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 222/199/120 Female 62.5
BF:?/30/20
Progress: 23%

Thanks Meg for the compliment. I suppose that since my last pregnancy went so well, and I had a healthy baby, I have really had to rethink much of what I have been taught over the years.
Reading all the different plans has helped too, I think, it helped me make sense of all the stuff that never made sense to me in my nutrition classes. I remember thinking that it was so contradictory, but I couldn't really think of why.
Last year at this time, there was a lady in my Neighborhood who looked like she was going to have her baby anytime, and she was due in July. She was puffy, and just didn't look well. Even though I'm shorter than she was, and heavier, I looked better and I was about 3 weeks from having my baby. I wasn't puffy at all, most people just thought I was starting to look pregnant to them. When I had my first two, I follow the ADA diet religiously, I did everything I was supposed to and on each I gained 20lbs from that point on, it had to be because of the ADA high carb diet. Luckily I had normal birthweight babies, and the second wasn't fat, but he did have complications related to GD. The comparision with those two pregnancies and the last two were like night and day, and here I was nearing 38 years of age. I didn't even suffer from back aches, it really was a much easier pregnancy. I'm hoping I can do the same, even though I'm 20lbs heavier that when I had my little Angel.
Pggirl, I would be careful with the oranges too, they made me sick too. I'm not sure why, but oranges bother lots of ladies.
Take care everyone.
Tanya
  #56   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-05, 07:59

BF:

Gosh, I'm really excited. I've lost 2.3 pounds this week. I'm making sure I'm not in ketosis too, using the test sticks and everything. And I'm not showing any signs of retaining any water at this point at all. Last time I was starting to retain water probably already by this time or maybe a little later. Just wanted to share my excitement. I just feel so great this pregnancy, as far as enery level, etc. It's really amazing to me.
  #57   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-05, 08:33
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Jaybird - when are you due? I noticed you ticker and it looks like we're the same day! I'm October 1, though I've had 3 c-sections so this one will probaly be around Sept 23.

I swelled up like a balloon with my last baby - I broke every ankle bracelet I owned!! It would be great to keep that down considering we get to go through the whole summer!

Treencee
  #58   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-05, 13:06

BF:

Yep, I'm due October 1st also! How funny!

Yeah, last time I couldn't wear my rings after the 6 month, so that will be a good gage. So far they are still fitting the same.
  #59   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-05, 15:03
From Flab to Fab!

Plan: Fat Flush / SB
Stats: 300/225/185 Female 5ft 8"
BF:No Thanks
Progress: 65%

I am soooooooo glad I found this thread, thanks to the lady who started it! Finally I found a place to call home!!
I am aprox 6 weeks pregnant, it was unexpected, and although I was really put off at first (I have three year old twins already) I am really getting use to the idea. However, I had been LCing up to this point for over a year, and had lost just over 50lbs. So I am kinda worried (an understatement) that I will pile on all of the LBs i have worked so hard to take off and it will be impossible for me to lose once the baby is here!!

HELP, please girls, I need your reasurance that it will be fine, and if I stick to a low carb way of eating but at a safe level that I WON'T gain unnesesary lbs in the process. Has anyone been in my exact situation?

I am looking at your stats and you all seem so much thinner than me to begin with (I'm the fatty!!) "eeeeeek"

I have added a ticker, due to being so happy to have found this place and then to find out I can have a spangly thing on my signature!! But I have to confess that I have to get the dates sorted out on the 3rd May, so I'll change it if it is wrong.

"doing a happy dance" so glad to have found all of you!
  #60   ^
Old Sat, Apr-23-05, 10:47

BF:

Foxgluvs, I'm glad for this thread too. With my first pregnancy I was on Atkins and losing weight when I found out I was pregnant. I kind of threw it out the window when I found out I was pregnant. I really wish I would have at least stayed on maintenance levels.

I'm doing good this pregnancy and am glad to have the support here. I'm keeping my carbs at about 100 grams a day so I'm not in ketosis, and I've stopped gaining weight at the moment and I've even lost a few pounds.

See you around! And congratz on the pregnancy. .