Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-05, 15:23

Plan: Neanderthin-Based
Stats: 230/218/200 Male 6'3.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

<---- Zealot
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Mar-23-05, 09:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/200/170 Male 68 in
BF:
Progress: 57%

My daugter has been quite sucessful with WW and is near to her goal weight. One difference that I've noticed between us though is that when it is near meal time she says that she's "starving". While with me it is "Oh its time to eat again?" Well not exactly, but close.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Mar-23-05, 10:06

Plan: ATKINS (owl)
Stats: 156/144/136 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 60%

hi, i recently stopped induction after 4 wks and 12 pds loss, due to some problems i was having with digestion,, so now this is the first week, i'm trying low carbs still but i have high fibre cereal in the am instead of eggs! oh its great!,, and i'm not getting hungy before a snack,, anyway, i gained 3 pds immediately which would be water,, and my system is alot happier, however i plan to do induction again in a few weeks to get the last 10 pounds,,

i have found that i have really LOST MY TASTE FOR SUGAR, FOR THAT ALONE I AM VERY THANKFUL TO ATKINS,, i dont even really enjoy the sweetened with sucrolose treats,, and i dont crave the chips or fries, if i want one i can take one but thats it,, WITH ANY other weight loss plan, you dont break that dependancy or addiction in some cases to bad carbs, and that is the best part of atkins
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Apr-04-05, 17:46

Stats: 261.4/160/155 Male 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 95%

If someone can lose weight and become healthy without having to cut the carbs, then 1) I envy them, 2) I'm happy for them.

It's those few (ok, many) who take up arms against our way of life. People are different and I'm happy for anybody who can get their weight down in any (healthy) way they can. But for those who can't go with the masses, this is the place to come for advice.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Apr-13-05, 17:22
Registered Member

Stats: 260/184/150 Male 5.8
BF:?/18%/6%
Progress: 69%

They can work. I've lost about 100 pounds now. I'd say 80 have been from low carb dieting. LowCarbing takes a dedication of resisting foods I enjoy....going the low fat low calorie route takes a ridiculous amount of exercise on my part (running about 4 miles a day). I'm trying a little experiment of doing my low fat workout regimin while on low carb. I'm fed up with the time it's taking now honestly which isn't the diets fault but my own as I cheated a lot in my mid teens and didn't have the will power I do now. I was also living in my mother's non-low-carb-cooking-home so it has worked faster in college. Costing me a pretty penny. and had a LOT to lose. In fact nearly all of my income is so I can afford to lose weight and I HATE that but I want to be DONE and move to maintenence. So low fat/ low cal? It works...slower...you are more hungry...you can eat better tasting things in my opinion...but in small amounts...it's cheaper. Both work...Atkins works better
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-05, 02:51

Plan: Atkins.
Stats: 226/222/161 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 6%

I tried Weight Watchers but found it difficult because I am allergic to the substitute sugar in all the fat free/low fat products. I was always in trouble for not eatting enough.
Also the group meetings were patronizing and I had no patience for.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-05, 09:17

Stats: 191.5/160/135 Female 5'3
BF:39.8%/?/27%
Progress: 56%

I do not doubt that they work for some people, but not for me. I need to feel full, and I need the protein and fat, and I need to stay away from the sugar/insulin roller coaster. But everyone has different needs, and I'm not going to rain on anyone else's parade.

What I do have a problem with is that other types of diets have created this vague idea that as long as someone sometimes eats low-fat foods, they are at least being a little bit "good," but that can backfire-- especially when the so-called "good" foods are chock full of trans fats, or when they're nothing but sugar. People would be better off without that misconception.

The only way of eating that can be done half-assed, IMHO, is whole foods. If you're not following a comprehensive eating plan, and you're only going to sometimes throw some "good" food into your grocery cart, then avoid over-processing. I don't think that's going to hurt anybody, if they supplement their standard American diet with a few fresh veggies, fruits, meats, and even whole grains.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Apr-19-05, 09:17

Plan: My own
Stats: 240/184/150 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 62%

I have a girl friend who is doing W/W she has almost lost 100lbs . She tried doing lcurb but gained ( so she claims). She has noticed that if she does not keep to her point range she gains.
I have also tried W/W and I gained (11lbs in 3 weeks) and was starving by the time that it was snack/ meal time.
I think what ever change of diet you adopt and you lose weight is good for you. We all have to remember that everyone is different so, what ever works for you may not work for me.