Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-01, 05:48
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Cool Tell me about your Stalls

I've been on a stall for about a month, I've lost an inch during this time. I have confidence this too shall pass
Anyone out there who wants to talk about this?
Don't be shy

Last edited by Lessara : Tue, Oct-23-01 at 10:34.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-01, 11:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/197/135
BF:
Progress: 35%

Stalls STINK!

Seems most of the past few months has been a stall. I lose so very SLOWLY -- one or two pounds, then stall for a month or more! It does get very depressing -- especially when you read posts where someone lost 15 pounds in two weeks, or some such thing! I've tried giving up all of the things that can cause a stall: cured meats, dairy, artificial sweetners, etc., but it does get awfully boring after a while. Tried to increase exercise. Also, most people ask about ketosis and are upset when the sticks change to pink or trace -- I would be thrilled if mine ever showed even a trace -- it only happened once after 3 days on the fat fast.

Oh well, it feels good to vent -- and I know the drill "At least I'm not gaining. It took years to gain it, so don't expect to lose it overnight, etc., etc., etc.".

Any tips you've found that really work?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-01, 12:20
Everyday Sane Psycho

Cool Why I posted this thread

This is a thread to vent on. I too have see people losing weight left and right. I thought it would be nice for those on Stalls to stand up and say "Hey, I'm Lcing and I'm on a Stall but I'm alright!"
It seems to me this LCing weight loss is stop and start, stop and start... kind of like walking down stairs.. no gliding..
Thanks for sharing your story!!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-01, 13:20

Plan: sommersize
Stats: 180/179/140
BF:
Progress: 3%
Default stall, stall!!!

hi, i am so glad to hear i am not the only one to be at a stand still....my h. lost 40 lbs, and i waver between 159-162 and i started at 167. i am hoping it is because i was at 162 for 5 years and its where my body wants to stay i, on the other hand, want the scale to go down-down-down.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-01, 19:43

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

My longest stall lasted 5 months.

I started graphing my weight soon after that, in detail.

When you graph it, you can often see minute losses that you don't see otherwise. Well into my *stall* I went back through my day book and graphed all my weight during that time. I discovered there was a downward *trend* in my graph. That is to say my fluctuations were fluctuating downward

Oh yeah and I also lost inches.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-01, 07:09
Everyday Sane Psycho

Smile

With my stall, I didn't lose any inches for a month at least.
I, at this point, am just trying to lose the weight from my last TOM
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-01, 17:10

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 147/128/118 Female 5'3''
BF:?/18/17
Progress: 66%
Default Excruciatingly Slow

My weight (oops, I mean fat) loss, that is.

I have about 9-10 more lbs to lose but it seems to be taking forever.

Of course, I know the mantra: at least I'm not gaining, your body didn't gain weight at a constant pace, etc.

I really appreciate LC Sponge's comments because I too have found that by keeping careful track of my weight (morning and evening every day) I can see minute changes in my weight and it IS fluctuating downward albiet it is soooo much slower that I would like.

Not seeing a lot of changes in inches but I think that is because I am so close to goal. Most of the excess fat that I would like to see disappear is right on my belly. I don't think it will completely disappear because I have read that women who've been pregnant will often deposit fat on their abdomen which is notoriously hard to get rid of afterwards. Well, I guess I have had four little fat deposits and I never had a flat stomach to begin with! I don't expect to end up with a flat stomach I never had, I just want to get back into my old clothes again. The pants fit in the bum and legs (with room to spare) and even the waist, it's just that little ol' pot belly getting in the way. GRRRRR!

Still, like LC, I am sticking with the program because I know that eventually my body just have to give in and let some more of that fat go
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-01, 18:07

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Homegirl - having babies isn't a prerequisite for being heavy in the belly area (i.e. apple shaped).

I'm 43 and never had kids, and that's STILL where the last of my *fat* lays.

In order to get a flat belly, I think I'd have to be underweight - oh well, hey! if it makes you feel better here's what my dh has to say about *bellies* on women (he's a sweetie):

"A mature woman shouldn't look like a colt. She should show the rounded curves that says she has been a mother and a woman. That is attractive to a mature man. Young girls, with flat bellies and no hips, look like what they are: children. They are attractive to other children."

So there's something to be said for a rounded tummy
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-01, 09:35
Everyday Sane Psycho

Cool Curves

I get so many compliments about my curves. I never would have known if I didn't read MODE magazine. Its great! I started dressing better and not being afraid of form fitting clothing.
I wear leggings and long shirts as well as dresses now and I get such nice and caring compliments at work. I don't hide in my clothes any more. My counsillor says that's good because many people who have been over weight most of their lives have trouble with their body image.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-01, 23:47

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 147/128/118 Female 5'3''
BF:?/18/17
Progress: 66%
Default A colt?

I am more in the "old gray mare" catagory and she ain't what she used to be .

Just kidding.

Like I said, I never did have a flat belly even when I was very tiny before having kids. I have that "gynoid" shape which is curvy. And I am not complaining. This old bod has been healthy and strong, grown four babies and is still keeping me going. Just think I should do my best by it.

And I would appreciate it, if it would help be out so that I am a little less noticable in the belly region otherwise I might have to have a temper tantrum

P.S. I think a LC & Bill show would be great
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-01, 00:04

Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default I don't like stalls.....

any more than the rest of you. Of course, a true stall is 6 weeks with no weight loss while following the program to the letter, no cheating. Based on that criteria, I have not had a stall, however I sure felt like the body was stalled *LOL*

During periods of 'mini' stalls I tell myself that my body is just getting used to the new weight & getting over the trauma and shock of losing so many fat cells & excess water. Right now I'm stuck at 241, a weight that I probably spent a lot of time at on my way up the scale. I'm beginning to believe the theory that says if you were at a certain weight for a long time during your 'growth' phase, you'll spend a lot of time there while 'shrinking'. I'm not really sure about this theory, but I'll try to track this phenomenon as I lose weight.

The other way I console myself: Losing sloowwly will reduce the amount of baggy, sagging skin I'll have when I reach goal weight. On the one hand, I can't wait to be 145 or 140, but on the other, I'm not sure I'll like it if I'm sagging & need lots of lycra to hold all the flesh in place without jiggling.

Anybody else out in cyberland that can relate to what I've shared?

Ruth
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-01, 00:22

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 230/218/170
BF:
Progress: 20%

Ruth I can relate to everything except for the >>>I'm not sure I'll like it if I'm sagging & need lots of lycra to hold all the flesh in place without jiggling. <<<
I understand what your saying, but I'd rather be saggy and have lost the weight. Afterall, isn't that what spandex and lycra is for?
I finally lost another pound today!! Dang, my scale hadn't moved in so long, I was really getting frustrated. I figure that I'm losing so slowly because I've yo=yo dieted for years...and years, lost and gained the same pounds so many times. And I'm taking anti-depressants which slows the process down as well.

Your theory on stalling at the weight we spent time being before makes some sense. Isn't it true that the body really resists losing weight because of a built-in survival mechanism? If so, then your idea makes sense. It certainly has been the experience of many people, myself included.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-01, 18:45

Stats: 220/195/140
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Still stuck

I've been stuck going into 5 months. However, I got a nice surprise. The other day I was getting ready for a festival that I was displaying at (I make jewelry) and I was in a real hurry. I grabbed my black jeans and a blouse, put them on and ran out the door. It was only later that I realized that the jeans were the SMALL ones that I hadn't been able to button. Before there had been a good 3 inches between the button and the button hole! I don't feel hungry and I have just resigned myself to the fact that I'm eating well, and healthy, and I figure that eventually the stall will let go and I'll start to lose again. In the meantime I can wear a pair of jeans that I haven't been able to get on for almost 10 years!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-01, 19:32

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 230/218/170
BF:
Progress: 20%
Thumbs up Way to Go Deegarzain

Wow! That had to be such a great feeling to be able to get into those black jeans!! Wa'il has a post somewhere, (I don't remember where) about keeping track of our measurements because sometimes the scale doesn't move, but we can lose several inches. I started measuring myself since then. It sounds like you're having the same thing happen to you.
Do you exercise a lot?
I live in New Mexico and there are so many jewlery makers here. I love it! I just bought a pair of silver earrings made by a Hopi woman last week. Do you work with gold and silver? Do you ever go to Arizona to the big jewlery and gemstone show they have every year?
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-01, 01:40

Stats: 220/195/140
BF:
Progress: 31%

We went to the Tucson gem shows in 1990 and I will never be able to take my husband there again - he literally spend a "house" on rocks and minerals. I had a good time and met some very nice people. I work with 14 KGF and sterling silver wire to make settings for faceted and cabachoned stones, and natural crystals. I have also taken a jeweler's course and someday hope to be able to set up a studio where I can work with my microtorch and enameling kiln to fabricate gold and silver pieces. That part of the country is really beautiful, and it is the farthest west I've been.