Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Apr-17-05, 08:15

Plan: GI Index, CAD, ATKINS
Stats: 236/187/125 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 44%

htp is great, but make sure that you are not taking any antidepessants on top of it. This is why I went the way of the doctor...unless you have Dr. Weil helping you out..anyway, good luck!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Apr-17-05, 08:28

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

I took 5 HTP INSTEAD of anti depressants...it does the same thing as they do (increased seratonin levels) without the side effects. I took a low dose anti-depressant for appetite suppression for a month and it switched off most of the fibro symptoms. So I decided to look for something more natural that did the same thing. Works great for me. So yes, if you are currently on any anti-depressants, consult your doctor.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Apr-19-05, 09:15

Plan: GI Index, CAD, ATKINS
Stats: 236/187/125 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 44%

I was going to recommend a book to you, called "Fibromyalgia and Chronic Myofascial Pain Syndrome" By Devin Starlanyl, M.D.
It was published back in 1996, but most of the material minus some of the stuff on antidepressants is up to date. She has Fibromyalgia herself. Anyway, hope this helps.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Apr-25-05, 10:41

Plan: Six week Body Makeover
Stats: 251.4/220.4/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryitagain
Hello,

snip
Where can I start? Multi Vitamins, Pottasium, Magesium, Relacore....???? Please! Thanks in advance.

I have found the best thing ever for FMS! It's not a cure, but it can reverse the process and keep it at bay. It is so simple it's amazing. It won't help w/ the pain right away, but gradually will remove the pain and actually stop the whole process. Once the process is stopped, there is no more pain, depression, any of that stuff. It just goes away! As long as you continue the treatment, and let me tell you, it's cheap at twice the price. Costs me about $25.00/month w/o a prescription. Can't beat that!

For pain during the treatment, I am using Aleve and it's working pretty well for me. My pain may not be as severe as that of your mother, but any pain med will work. Ditto sleep meds. I use Unisom, a very good over-the-counter sleeper. Another good one is benadryl. It just helps you get a good rest.

And lots of naps help, too. I nap like a cat!

For more information, you can google on "guaifeneisin" or just go right to http://www.fibromyalgiatreatment.com/EasyQuickLinks.htm and start reading.

Order Dr. St Amand's two books from your local library and read them. Educate yourself and your mom. IMHO, this guai protocol is 'way above any other treatment you may have heard of. It actually works!

Good luck. Please let me know how it goes for you both. Drop a note in my journal, so I'll be sure to see it.

Take care,
sky
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-05, 12:29

Plan: atkins
Stats: 212/178.6/150 Female 63"
BF:47.5%/37.8%/27%
Progress: 54%

I don't see where anyone has mentioned cardio or stretching..or did I miss it. Sorry if thisis redundant. 15 minutes of cardio a day...is what is the recommendation but I do fine on just 15 three times a week. Stretching and holding them for at least a minute so the goofy fibro bran can realize what is going on is essential. If you can do this in a hot tub...it is the best

Good luck with mom...oh and swimming is the best cardio ever...even just walking in the pool from side to side on the shallow end.

Anita
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Jun-24-05, 09:53

Stats: 351/292/138 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 28%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuukuu
I agree Valewis, 5-HTP is one of my night-time meds. At least it doesn't give me the nightmares that buspar did. I just have to take it early in the evening so that I can get all the cobwebs out of my head when I get up.

what is 5-HTP, is it an SSRI?
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-05, 15:36

Plan: atkins hybrid
Stats: 210/179/150 Female 65 inches
BF:that's the point.
Progress: 52%

Forgive me for not being exact, skuddle, I'm sure someone else will know exactly what's in it, but I'll try my best 'til someone else get's to it. 5-HTP is found in your health food sections and is non-presciption. It is a serotonin precursor. By that I'm assuming that your body can utilize it to manufacture it's own serotonin. If that's wrong I'm hoping someone will correct me. The brand that I use also contains valerian root, so I take it at night only.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-05, 11:15

Stats: 351/292/138 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 28%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuukuu
Forgive me for not being exact, skuddle, I'm sure someone else will know exactly what's in it, but I'll try my best 'til someone else get's to it. 5-HTP is found in your health food sections and is non-presciption. It is a serotonin precursor. By that I'm assuming that your body can utilize it to manufacture it's own serotonin. If that's wrong I'm hoping someone will correct me. The brand that I use also contains valerian root, so I take it at night only.

thanks kuukuu, i will have to look into it very carefully as i do not do well with serotonin related things, they really screw with my balance over the long term