Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Fri, Nov-15-02, 07:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 224/194/121 Female 155cm
BF:
Progress: 29%
Talking Great ideas

After reading all these recipes I am starving and believe me I am going to give a few of these a try especially the cheese chips they sound deliciousssss.

Just another idea....instead of breadcrumbs I use parmesan cheese....

Karina
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sat, Nov-16-02, 16:25

Stats: 204/181/145
BF:
Progress: 39%

Here are my snack ideas
- vienna sausages and potted meat (I found some with no carbs or sugar) - bacon - cheese - bacon and mayo wrapped in ham - natural peanut butter - cucumber

After the first week I didn't find like I wanted to snack much. A lot of the time if I snack I use small portions of dinner, breakfast, or lunch food.
  #48   ^
Old Sun, Nov-17-02, 20:48

Plan: 40/35/25
Stats: 160/160/155 Female 5'10
BF:25/23/18
Progress: 0%

Another easy snack is homemade beef jerky.

If you have a food dehydrator it only takes about 6 hours of drying, get the butcher to slice the beef specifically for jerky and Voila, a great snack, that way you control what is put on it.

I can post a recipe if anyone is interested, I will have to dig it out....
d
  #49   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-02, 09:53

Stats: 367/225/175
BF:
Progress: 74%

Oh my goodness, I cannot wait to try the breakfast meatballs. YUMMY!! They will be perfect at work after the gym!!

And they would be great with Au Jus gravy or sweet and sour (sugar free grape jelly and sugar free carb free ketchup)

As for the cheese sticks, I wrap my cheese in a lettuce leaf, and use an egg batter then dip into grated parm cheese. I usually use grated parm and romano as a filler if I'm not feeling the pork rind love.
  #50   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-03, 14:42

Plan: ProteinPowerLifePlan w/IF
Stats: 166/143/135 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default another good snack - good fat

The snack I'm about to mash up for myself as soon as I log off is an avocado!

Mash 1 avocado, sprinkle in either lemon juice or lime juice ... add salt if you want.

yum yum!
(legal for those who can subtract their fiber carbs)
  #51   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 19:00
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 248/236/158 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Snacks

Thanks for all the great snack ideas! I just started LC'n and so far I have had no problems but a friend that is doing it with me is struggling. She was a BIG bread eater before and has done great without eating all that bread! so even tho she has "cheated" on other things i guess ditchin the grains was a huge step.

personally I am not much of a bread person so that part has been easy for me! lol
  #52   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 16:14

Plan: SF, grain free, vegan
Stats: 230/208.2/199 Female 5'2"
BF:More than enough
Progress: 70%
Smile Hi, guys...

I am one and a half weeks into no starch, no sugar, no fruit - only protein, vegetables, fat and water. I have committed to two weeks of this, which comes to an end on Sunday. I don't know what to do next. All that aside...
One of my favorite snacks is peanut butter stuffed into a celery stick...crunchy and just enough sweetness. Besides being kosher, I am allergic to dairy products, so I have to be creative. If you want to really taste something exceptional - dip a chicken cutlet into egg and then into ground walnuts, almonds or pine nuts...makes a great tasty crust. Mix the almonds with some fresh ginger and you have an Asian flavour, with pine nuts add cumin, cinnamon, cayenne and turmeric and you have a Moroccoan specialty. There is no end to the experimentation!
This is a great thread , thanks for being here.
Love & Light,
Pink
  #53   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 18:26

Stats: 180/133.0/129 Female 5'4"
BF:22.83
Progress: 92%
Default Hi From Canada

Hi quilt4me. Your name caught my eye. I'm a quilter (instuctor), and a new member as well. I checked out your profile, we are about the same age and height.
Check out my profile if you like. Got to go make dinner for hubby.
Made cabbage rolls without rice. Just meat, onions and salsa sauce....Hmmm. Should be interesting. Have a good L/C Day. Bye slawrie Chrysalis
  #54   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 20:45
Registered Member

Stats: 180/175/140
BF:
Progress: 13%

Well, Hello!
These are all just fantastic ideas!

I'm starting my 5th week on induction, and I love it! I tried melted chedder on pork rinds the other day.

Oh, and to not feel guilty about those greasy fingers

Thanks to everyone for the wonderful snack ideas. I love this forum!

Jane
  #55   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 10:52
Registered Member

Stats: 159.5/151.0/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Salami w/ Cream Cheese (w/ little Splendra)

I use to eat Salami with Strawberry Cream Cheese or Pineapple (any of the fruit and flavored cream cheeses). These cream cheese are high in carbs

I was really wanting some of this, when I decided to make some that were legal....

I used a pkg of Splendra added to a few tablespoons of Cream Cheese, then put some of the cream cheese mix in the salami, rolled them up and - TaDa a legal wonderful snack.

This might be a good snack for the SuperBowl coming up this weekend !
  #56   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 11:02

Plan: My own--atkins like
Stats: 188/188/135 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Thumbs up pepperoni chips

Saw this in another thread. Easy and quick to fix:

Spread out about 10 - 15 pieces of pepperoni on a stack of paper towels and nuke them in the microwave for about 40 seconds.

(If you like, put some mozzarella cheese on them before heating.)

Yum! But eat them right away--they don't taste nearly as good after about 20 minutes!
  #57   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 11:15
Registered Member

BF:

JANE - I was reading your post and you indicated that you have just started your 5th week on induction... you've lost 5 lbs? I started Jan 2nd (3 weeks) and have only lost ~ 8 pounds... and I am starting to get discouraged.

Seems like most people drop almost 10 pounds the first two weeks... I feel like I am a slow loser. Just wondering if by chance you are having a similar problem? I use the Sticks and they are either pink or purple, so I know I am doing something right... just feel like it is SLOW.

Last edited by Kemss : Thu, Jan-23-03 at 17:10.
  #58   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 17:03

Plan: SF, grain free, vegan
Stats: 230/208.2/199 Female 5'2"
BF:More than enough
Progress: 70%
Cool Kemss...

As you can see, by my stats, I am a slow loser (I hate that terminology - I don't ever want to find them again) also. I gave away 6.5 the first week and 1.5 the second...my weigh day is Sunday, so I don't know what the third week will deliver. I have been eating protein, vegetables, fat and water. No sugar, no starch, no fruit. You can't measure success by someone else' tapemeasure. We are all different. I am writing this so I can see the words in pink for myself. It is hard. I was at H.O.W., a division of O.A. Everyone around me lost 100 lbs. in a year ...I lost 50 - not a happy camper. So, this time around, I am trying to look within myself and not at someone else' progress. I figure, as long as I am losing and not gaining, I am ahead of the game.

Love & Light,
Pink
  #59   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 17:40
Registered Member

BF:

YOU ARE RIGHT !

Thanks... sometimes I just need it pounded into me.... as long as the numbers are going down... that's what matters... and of course that I am feeling better than I have ever felt (more energy, not tired, sleeping good). I didn't get this way over night... so I guess I won't get skinny over night either. I am going to stop stepping on those scales morning, noon and night!

Thanks again!
  #60   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 15:23

Stats: 155/144/130
BF:
Progress: 44%

Try String Cheese, Ripums Cheese, Cream Cheese or Peanut Butter on Celery.
Good Luck