Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Feb-25-05, 17:00

Plan: 20 per day
Stats: 235/205/160 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 40%

Friday,

Very interesting information. Perhaps I need to look into this myself.

Thanks!

Cissie
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Feb-25-05, 17:02

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/175/158 Female 5'10"
BF:I am 5'10" tall
Progress: 57%
Question

I just wanted to tell you this; a few years ago my dr. thought I had a problem with my thryroid, he took a test and it was low, he took another test and normal.
I dont know the procedure, yet I feel I was diagnosed wrong. The fatigue is really bad sometimes and the dizziness, I dont know, just thought I would write.
I dont know how I can keep getting tested without my dr. thinking I am a hypochondriac.
Did you know dr's get kickbacks from the anitdepressant companies for prescribing these drugs?

I dont know what else to do, hopefully losing weight and the diet will help, yet it still makes me wonder if I was also diagnosed correctly?????

take care,Gina
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Feb-25-05, 17:16

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

You need three very specific tests:

1) an early morning TSH

2) Free T3

3) Free T4

Ask your doctor for these exact tests. If your doc won't do it, go to www.healthcheckusa.com and order them. It will cost $75.
Healthcheck mails you papers to take to a lab and you get your results anywhere from three days after to a week.

Gina - call your docs office and have them tell you your exact numbers. Better yet, get a copy of the lab results. New ranges say a TSH of 2.5 or higher needs meds, and sometimes Free T3 or Free T4 can be out of range (abnormal) even though TSH is fine.

In my case, my TSH was 2.1 and my FT3 was very near the bottom of 'normal'. Fortunately, I went to a doctor who knew that 'normal' numbers don't tell the whole story. It's kind of like this: If your body temperature is one degree above hypothermia, you still need a blanket even though you're 'normal' by the numbers. Make sense?

Cheers,

Friday
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Feb-25-05, 20:39

Plan: own
Stats: 175/178/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -9%

Hi again,

I usually dont wake up with a headache. It starts and progresses through-out the day. I was told by the dr that I should feel better in a week and be a whole new person by two weeks. www.cymbalta.com says 1-4 weeks. And yes the headaches were there before the meds. The only added effects I notice with the meds is a dry mouth and some nausea.

I don't mind taking the meds if they are going to make me feel better. Its just that there are too many symtoms that suggest a possible thyroid problem and giving the family history it sure is possible. Believe me I would much rather take the depression diagnosis than have something more seriously wrong, But I just dont think that depressed people have the chocking symptoms I am experiencing(I may be wrong). I can actually see swelling on the right side of my neck though. I do have constipation problems and dry skin and scalp as well. I am making a list of everything to take with me. The past few days I am also getting tightness in my chest as well. Sometime I feel like I am going crazy. Also feel like I shouldn't push the issue because the docs make you feel like your Stupid or something. But I know what I feel and I know its not Normal for me.

The good news is the New Dr called and got me in on March 1st instead of the 8th. So hopefully I will find out for sure if there is more to my problems, and if not I can try new meds or something. I will keep you all updated as I find out more. I appreciate the warm welcomes and suggestions.

Charlotte
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Feb-25-05, 20:42
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Also feel like I shouldn't push the issue because the docs make you feel like your Stupid or something. But I know what I feel and I know its not Normal for me.

Hmmm... you might want to rethink this. People who push, insist and take charge of their health are the ones who get healthy. You've simply got to do it. Doctor's are too busy and don't always have our best interests at heart in this day and age of managed health care, they're just trying to get through their day without getting behind schedule.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Feb-25-05, 20:45

BF:

I hear you on that one. Thats why I am going in there tuesday full force with the attitude that if they wont listen I will find someone who will. Like I said It's my body and I know something is not right!
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Feb-25-05, 20:56

BF:

I have been doing a little research and found out that an elevated(even slightly elevated) calcium level is another indication of a thyroid problem.

http://www.parathyroid.com/parathyroid-symptoms.htm "It is NEVER normal to have a high calcium level. NEVER!"

Hummm. mine was 10.5 just above the "normal range".
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Feb-25-05, 20:56
Experimenter

BF:

And very cool, I'm seeing my MD on March 1st too. We can both update.
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Feb-26-05, 00:57

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

March 1 must be THE day. My sis is also seeing a doc and expects to be put on Armour. Her TSH was 1.something, but her FTs were just barely inside 'normal'.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Feb-26-05, 10:19
Experimenter

BF:

Well that's it then! March 1st is International Thyroid day.
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Feb-26-05, 14:51

BF:

March 1st it is then. LOL

Does anyone else have this chocking feeling at all? It really feels like someone is pulling on the back of my shirt. How do you relieve this feeling? I try Ibuprofin but it doesn't help much.

I think my iron my be a little off wack today as well. I am craving meat in a really bad way. The good news is no (*whispers softly as not to invite it*) Headache today so far.

I would really like to hear what you guys do If anything for this chocking feeling. It is driving me crazy.
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Feb-26-05, 15:16
Experimenter

BF:

I don't have it because I don't have a thyroid gland any longer. From what I have heard, if your thyroid gland gets very swollen it can feel like that. That must be miserable.

And wouldn't you know it, after having to wait a freakin' month to see my doctor (Monday) they called today to reschedule. So it won't be until the 3rd now. *sigh*
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Feb-26-05, 15:20

BF:

Sorry to hear that Nancy. I know how you feel with the waiting thing. I got lucky when they moved my appt. up for me. I think she knew though when she heard my voice that I am definatly not feeling well.

Found some more reading about thyroid stuff for you guys.
http://goodhormonehealth.com/thyroid-cecils.pdf#search='thyroid%20gland'
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Feb-27-05, 08:59

Plan: SPII, IR/BOA
Stats: 267/233/170 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 35%

Someone on this thread said doctors get a kick back from pharmaceutical companies when they perscribe a drug. If that is true it makes sense. Where can I get more information on this? Thanks, Marianne
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Feb-27-05, 09:41
Experimenter

BF:

I don't think so, MSK, at least not directly. Doctors do go on these junkets though, paid for by pharmaceutical companies, where they go to exotic places to "learn" about new drugs the pharmaceuticals have coming out. And they also get "freebies". In fact, if you look at the stuff in your doctor's office, most of it has the name of one drug or another on it. They also give doctor's free samples, which they give to patients.

Of course, the doctor could hold stock in the company or give speeches for them or otherwise have his interests mixed with the drug company.