Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Feb-09-05, 13:49

Plan: Atkins & Weight Watchers
Stats: 321/226/180 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 67%

kajun DC....enough said, don't you think?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Feb-09-05, 13:56

Plan: My own low-carb rules
Stats: 190/180/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 20%

It's definitely a personal decision. You must do a cost/benefit analysis of your own situation. Is it more worth it for you to get it or not get it, after looking at all of your own personal variables? Which choice will make you happier?

Or were you just trying to price check? If so, I'd definitely call around first. Does insurance cover anything (probably not)? Also, it's important to like & trust your doctor -- sometimes that's worth an extra few bucks.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Feb-09-05, 14:18

Plan: Atkins & Weight Watchers
Stats: 321/226/180 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 67%

tommiec68,
You got to say everything right before I was going to. This has really gotten me riled up. It is one thing to give advice or your opinion, but it is another to call people rediculous or call them a fool. I will bet that 90% of the people on this forum who have lost lots of weight would LOVE to get a tummy tuck and whatnot...but it is expensive. We are not stupid, we all know without saying there is a risk with surgery..there is with any surgery! Personally, I would definitley have it done....you work so hard to lose this weight, and when you get to your goal you have all this loose skin...why should we have to look at it if we can financially afford to get it done, and look the best we can? I can't imagine anything more annoying than getting to your goal weight and still have loose hanging skin,we worked this hard to get where we are and theres nothing wrong with getting rid of excess skin that cannot be excersized off. And for the people on this forum who have lost the weight and aren't worried about the excees skin left over, then good for them. It's about getting to a healthy weight and to live a longer life. it all depends on the person. Name calling it NOT allowed and I hope a moderator also sees these posts.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Feb-09-05, 14:50
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa
....Name calling it NOT allowed and I hope a moderator also sees these posts.

Yes. Please keep opinions objective rather than engaging in personal attacks. Here's a link to the forum rules for more information.

Just a reminder, if folks see a post that you find objectionable, please use the report link to bring it to our attention.

Doreen
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Feb-09-05, 15:25

Plan: low carb HCG
Stats: 200/159/150 Female 5 5
BF:YES it is!!
Progress: 82%

Im glad you saw this doreen T. I have been looking for a way to notify a modorator about this because I am realy offended by the "names" and statments made toward me. Now I know what to do next time.
I do want to say that I FIRMLY BELIEVE that everyone has a right to their own opinion and freedom of speech however I do not think it should be necessary to cause offence to hurt anyones fealings in the process.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Feb-09-05, 17:08

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

You know...with any elective surgical procedure, the risks vs. the benefits need to be weighed in deciding if it's something that should be pursued or not. In the case of cosmetic surgery, the cost needs to be considered as well since most insurance companies won't cover cosmetic procedures. If you feel that the potential benefits outweigh the possible risks and you can afford it, then it's a person's individual choice to make.
The only caution that I would give is to do some careful research on the possible risks and check to make sure that the surgeon has not had any complaints filed against them for malpractice or injury. I'd also encourage you to not go 'bargain hunting' in this matter as well. As with most things, you get what you pay for. Better to pay a bit more for a reputable surgeon than put yourself at risk for the sake of a bargain rate.
In some cases, an abdominoplasty would not be considered cosmetic, but medically necessary, so it's not just vanity. If a person has a large pannus (hanging belly skin), frequent infections can develop underneath even if hygiene is meticulous.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Feb-18-05, 07:57
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Since I have been working with a personal trainer, and lost tons of inches, I too, have been checking out the prices of tummy tucks and breast reductions.

One set of friends are telling me to wait until i have enough cash to cover it, as I don't have insurance, and the other set of friends are telling me to go for it..

I've priced breast reductions around florida at $6k-10k. and tummy tucks at $4K.

No matter how much i exercise, my tummy flab is not going away. After 2 kids, and a lot of weight gain, i have a roll of flab, and that roll above the belly button that can't be hidden in lycra tops. Anything clingy, shows the rolls..
I'll be 50 in a week or two, and I want to do something wonderful for my birthday. I can't think of anything more wonderful, than resculpting my body that I have been ashamed of for many, many years.

Just MHO.

P.S. my cousin had the tummy tuck and breast reduction done during spring break, and went back to teaching the following week. She's 52, and dances on tables... So, I'm thinking, her recovery time was moot, being that she was in great shape.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Feb-18-05, 19:06

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

I would not consider myself a fool. I am considering a tummy tuck. I had twins 13 years ago, and a single pregnancy 3 years ago. My abd muscles are split from my ribs down the center to my belly button. I am wearing a size 12 pants, but I need 1x or 2x tops to get over my belly. People constantly ask me when my baby is due because of my weird shape. I have small arms/legs, but this huge belly. My doctor said that since I have the hernia and it needs repaired anyway that insurance might pay for part of the tummy tuck as well.