Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Ireland
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, Mar-02-05, 13:21

Plan: None
Stats: 224/224/154 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks Babs

Thanks Babs for your reply

No i dont think i will bother with the Apple!

Broná
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Wed, Mar-02-05, 17:19

Plan: Protein Power/a la carte!
Stats: -/-/150 Female 66 inches
BF:Yes!
Progress: 49%

Brona - this is good news about the apple! I just found a tin (375gms) of apple slices by John West in my local Safeways (NI) - no juice or sugar, just apple. And WOW, only 5 carbs per 100gms! I used about 50 gms today in a serving of chicken curry (home made). It was well worth 2.5 carbs, as I used to love fruity curries in the old days.
I plan to use the rest mixed with courgettes for apple crumble base tomorrow or Friday - will report back. I hope you can find this - you could add it into loads of things, or have a few wee slices on your LC porridge/cereal. They were sweet enough as they were, so no need for any sweetener. I must buy up the rest of the tins in case it vanishes. Too far for you to travel though
Babs
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Mar-03-05, 13:09

BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks Babs,

You are so luck to have many choices Babs, i have never seen tinned Apple, i can get most other fruit in its own juice but im not sure what the carb count is, i must check the carb count, i miss fruit so much, i like Mango, i think it is low enough in carb but maybe it is not suited to Atkins.

Forgot to ask, i have a box of Lindseeds (flaxseeds) and bottle of Lindseed oil, which is better?

Thanks Babs.

Broná
  #49   ^
Old Thu, Mar-03-05, 20:35

You might be surprised about the apple - try a big supermarket like Tesco or even Dunnes - John West is a common brand.
I use linseeds ground up in a coffee maker to make a type of porridge with ground almonds and bran - yum! Also good in LC bread or muffins. Never tried the oil, but it's supposed to be good. Can't imagine just glugging it, though :O
Babs
  #50   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-05, 05:44

BF:
Progress:
Default Babs

Babs, i'm mad at myself, guess what i've done? correct, cheated.

Two days ago i helped my son and wife move to new appartment, i hurt my back so had to take meds and of course felt sorry for myself, had a cream cake and packet of crisps and bar of chocolate.

This morning i was up 2lbs, i exected that, what should i do to correct what i've done? will i just carry on or should i go back to induction, please say NO

Stupid stupid woman

Broná
  #51   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-05, 14:31

Don't beat yourself up, Brona, just get back on the wagon and drink loadsa water. I let myself break out now and again too - it's only water weight and will go shortly. It's physiologically impossible to put on 2lbs fat overnight.
And forget induction if you don't want it - I never went on it in the first place and lost all my weight, almost 3 stones, eating up to 60 carbs a day I'm stalled now, though, even at 30 carbs, so may go back to the 60 again and cut calories/up exercise to kick start loss. But I'm easy - life is for living and I didn't get to this weight overnight so it doesn't have to vanish overnight either.
Babs
  #52   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-05, 17:45

BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks Babs

Hi Babs,

Thanks so much for your encouragement i'm grateful.

I started off good today so fingers crossed.
Besides hurting my back i think i was getting a bit bored with my menu's to be honest. I was never a big lover of veg, so eating Brocolli and Cauliflower daily was not very exiting I tried to change that by cooking them in a stir fry, i'm even tired of Salads, did you feel like that?

I can't believe that you lost weight without doing induction, good for you.
I lost 13lbs on induction, i know a lot of that was fluid, then i lost 2lbs on the 3rd week and then stalled for 2 weeks until i made the boob this week.

I know i'm not eating enough carbs, i stuck with just increasing the five carbs, this is my 5th week on Atkins, i won't give up, i dont want to ever go back because i feel so well and my stomache problems are solved.

Any suggestions on the above? and many thanks for all your help, its very much appreciated.

Broná
  #53   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-05, 21:08

I have gone off veg a lot lately, too Brona. I have started using more of the unusual kinds, like baby corn and zucchini. It's nice to sprinkle them a selection of chopped veg with olive oil, salt and black pepper, then bake in a hot oven until slightly blackened.
I loooooooooove spuds and miss them more than anything - but I do allow myself to have some every fortnight or so. I wish there was a decent LC sub for them.
I tried the apple slice/zucchini mix in a crumble and it was gorgeous - what a great way to get a veg! I might try all zucchini next time and use some SF apple drink for flavour - the texture is brilliant. Husband loved it too and he is not LC.
Babs
  #54   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-05, 13:17

BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks Babs

Hi Babs,

What do you have for breakfast-lunch-dinner?

I miss orange juice in the morning.

Re: Sugar free Jelly, i can get Birds Sugar Free, is that ok for me?

Thanks Babs,

Broná
  #55   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-05, 19:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/200/170 Male 183 centimetres
BF:
Progress: 25%

hey broná,
i went on atkins around a year ago and lost around 2 stone. i used to use that sugar free jelly quite alot to stop myself heading for the biscuits and i don't think it ever stopped me losing any weight so hopefully it should be fine for you too(and it's really tasty!!!). i've gone through a nasty time since then and have put loads back on but i'm determined to lose it again
  #56   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-05, 13:59

BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks Connokra

Hi Connokra,

Thank you for your reply I don't know how many times i lost and gained weight in the past, a lot of the problem was that i was hungry on Low Fat diets, i find this WOE great because i'm full and satisfied all the time, sometimes i do get a craving for chip shop Fish&Chips maybe down the road i can have a treat like that although i suppose it would be dangerous to do that.

Good luck this time and i hope you will stick with this WOE.

Thanks for the tip about the jelly, i sometimes have it with a little cream.

Broná
  #57   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-05, 17:23

BF:

i have those cravings too... in fact i'm having one right now!!! nice to know i'm not the only one who misses these things. if you're going to make those jellies the only thing i'd say to you is that it has that aspartame stuff in it. some people find that aspartame can stall weight loss but it never stopped me, i think it's pretty much an individual thing for everyone. so just make sure you don't eat too much when starting to use it.
  #58   ^
Old Wed, Mar-09-05, 13:19

BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks Connokra

Thank you Connokra for your reply,

I will remember what you said about the Jelly.

Good luck and i hope you are doing well.

Broná
  #59   ^
Old Wed, Mar-09-05, 16:42

BF:

i think i'm doing well so far, it's been almost 2 weeks and i haven't even had one slice of bread, and considering how much i used to live on the o'briens chicken and bacon triple deckers i think that's quite an achievement!

and i hope your doing well too, remember that no matter how high a mountain is, it can always be climbed with small steps that are careful and confident
  #60   ^
Old Thu, Mar-10-05, 15:58

BF:
Progress:

Hi again

I wish you well too, i'm very happy with how i'm doing, sometimes get a bit boared with the food because we have not got a great choice here in Ireland BUT will keep ploding on.

Broná