Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Ireland
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Feb-15-05, 14:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182.6/151.8/154 Male 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 108%

Im liking that egg recipie! i have the powderd splenda min, whats a tablet equate to in terms of the powdered stuff?

Im a bit bored with savoury eggs so this could be a goer!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Feb-17-05, 17:04

Stats: 187/166/143 Female 173cm
BF:
Progress: 48%

Hey Brona,

how did hte pancake go??

You could also try the mock danish for breakfast, there is a big thread about that in the recipe section - I quite like that also.

Or you could make your own lc porridge. I do that whenever I just cant stand to look at eggs anymore ;-)

7g ground linseed
7g ground sesame
7 g ground coconut
14g whey protein powder
7 g ground almond
1 crushed tablet of splenda
a good dash of cinnamon

Mix it all up with some water and nuke it in the microwave for a bit and add some butter - mmhh According to fitday this has just about 2 carbs and its nearly like porridge, but nice and nutty which I love.

Hi Sol,

I think I tablet of splenda is like one teaspoon of sugar or one teaspoon of the granular splenda?
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Feb-18-05, 07:25

Plan: None
Stats: 224/224/154 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks Gagalina

Thanks for the recipe gagalina

Re: Whey Protein Powder, what is it and why do you use it?

I will have more questions for you later if you don't mind.

Broná
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Feb-18-05, 07:29

BF:

Hi Brona,

no worries. I'll write more later, just sooo busy at work at the moment.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Feb-18-05, 16:17

BF:

Hey Brona,

whey is part of milk which is high in protein.

(Dairy source of protein (other than cassein), known for high levels of BCAA's and high nitrogen retention. Made from milk curd, whey protein is the Rolls Royce of proteins because it has a superior amino acid composition (including high levels of leucine, arguably the most important branched chain amino acid), superior biological value (meaning that more of what you eat gets digested and into your system), is very low in lactose (a milk sugar that most adults have difficulty digesting). )

it comes as powder and you can mix it with water or milk to make really nices shakes. Its good for the porridge recipe and as a thickener for soups or sauces and also for baking. I use it quite often, if I'm in a hurry, i just make a shake with cocoa powder and cinnamon and some cream ;-)

The protein powder you can buy in any Health food shop, it comes in different flavours with sweeteners, but I prefer the plain flavour without sweetener.

I got mine from:

http://www.worldwideshoppingmall.co...ein-isolate.asp

and I just ordered some from http://www.myprotein.co.uk
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Feb-18-05, 16:47

BF:
Progress:
Default Thank you Gagalina.

Hi Gagalina,

Thank's for all the info. I find it a big problem trying to substitute lowcarb here in Ireland. Most of the recipes are American, some foods i haven't even heard of them and can't get them here, do you have the same problem? or have you learned to substitute easily?

When you get a chance can you give me a sample of what you eat?
I'm on my second week of OWL and am VERY CONSTIPATED, i eat my veg and take psysillium husk which has always helped me, i dring loads of water, some nights i have to take senna but don't want to rely on them, did you have that problem?

Do you think it would be safe for me to have a toasted sandwich with Weightwatchers brown sliced bread at this stage, i think it has 7carbs per slice?

Do you have much fat during a day?

Thanks Gagalina,

Broná
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Feb-18-05, 16:49

BF:
Progress:

Sorry Gagalina, forgot to ask you, can we get Dreamfields Pasta over here? if not is there some other brand i could use?

Broná.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Feb-18-05, 17:35

BF:

gggrrrhhh, just lost my post thanks to my lovely pc ;-(

ok, here it goes again: (sorry if its a bit short and rough)

i just learned to substitute - i found the foods I really like and just keep eating them in some sort of variation and I dont get bored ;-)

If you click on the fitday link below my name, you can see all the foods I eat everday, or probably should say the ingredients I eat.

If you click on journal here you can see the meals I make out of the ingredients, but I havent posted in my journal for ages, but I havent really changed what I eat

Generally its:

2 eggs for breakfast (either with cream cheese and cinnamon, or with melted cheddar cheese) or about once a week the nutty porridge

lunch is about 150 g of salad and some sort of meat (chicken, turkey, mince, tuna, salmon) and cheese or some sort of sauce

dinner is basically the same as lunch but instead of hte salad i would have vegetables (broccoli or cauliflower or spinache mostly)

And then I am addicted to whipped cream with cocoa powder - just dont know when to stop ;-( also am really bad with nuts!!

I dont normally get constipated, if I do, i use ground linseed and sprinkle about a table spoon over my dinner and make sure I drink loads of water afterwards - that always helps me.

What do you normally eat on an average day?

Not sure about the bread, I have about a lc slice a month ;-) If you can stop yourself after I slice, it probably should be ok if you restrict your other carbs so you dont go over your limit.

you could try the flax bread. I found it on the site here, but not sure where exactly:

"
I use a small Tupperware bowl, or a small soup bowl.

Two TBS melted butter
Beat in one large egg and a pinch of salt (no need if your butter is salted)
mix in 3 TBS of ground flax and
1/2 tsp of baking powder "

its quite nice - I think I'll have some for breakfast tomorrow...

I think I have a good bit of fat - I just ran a report on fitday, and i eat about 90 g of fat a day... not sure whether that is high or low for lc, but its at about 60-75% where my calories re coming from - sounds a bit scary ;-)

I think Babs (Greanmhar) uses the Dreamfield pasta, but don't know where she gets it from. Here in Dublin we can get Carb Options pasta in Tesco. Where are you from again? Wexford? Maybe check out your local tesco and see if they can get it i for you or try your local health food shop?
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Feb-18-05, 20:45

Plan: Protein Power/a la carte!
Stats: -/-/150 Female 66 inches
BF:Yes!
Progress: 49%

Hi Brona/Gagalina,
I get the Dreamfields wherever I can - there are 2 UK sites that have it at times (goes out of stock often, so I order mega lots) and a site in Belgium also. If you want the site addresses let me know.
The difficulty for us is the postage, so to make it worth your while you can choose all the LC stuff you want at once. I now bake and cook a lot - I find that much of the ready made stuff is a big let-down in taste and/or creates a huge hole in your bank balance. Add to that the fact that much of the recently hyped LC stuff (like Carb Options) is ridiculously high in carbs and you soon get to be Fanny Craddock in the kitchen!
Babs
PS Dreamfields is one of the exceptions on both taste and carb count - it is just like ordinary pasta, but is a bit on the expensive side in comparison.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Feb-19-05, 04:49

BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks Babs

Hi Babs,

Yes, please do send the addresses, how much is the pasta?

I'm at a loss trying to substitute foods over here, i'm new to lowcarb.

I'm doing very well and am enjoying lowcarb but would love more variety.

I live in Weford, we have a lot of supermarkets but they dont have lowcarb anything, not that i can see anyway.

Many thanks again Babs,

Broná
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Feb-19-05, 22:16

http://www.lowcarbmegastore.com/
http://www.lowcarbshopping.co.uk/default.asp
Here you go, Brona. Both of these have Dreamfields at the moment - it is £2.60 in one and £2.75 in the other. Just buy where the postage best fits what you're ordering. I love the elbows and the penne - the spaghetti is just like the usual, but I have a real gra for mac and cheese
I'm lucky to live near the border and manage to get some LC stuff in the shops. However, as I said, it's better to make your own. What kind of stuff do you like? Can/do you cook or are you willing to learn. I have some good recipes accumulated from loads of places and tweaked for me if I knew what you most wanted.
Babs
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Feb-20-05, 06:03

BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks Babs

Hi Babs,

Thank's for all the help. Yes, please send me your recipes, anything and everything I am a good cook even if i say so myself

I'm still learning Babs and get very confused, maybe i'm a bit stupid but can you help me out with this?
In the book it says about carbs and digestable carbs, for example, if i have 6 cauliflower florets 4.4 total carbs which is 1.5 digestable carbs, does that mean that i'm only ingesting the 1.5 digestable carbs and can have more?

Another thing that has crossed my mind is the amount of fat that we eat, if we don't eat too much fat in a day will our weight loss be faster as our body fat will be burned, hope you can understand me LOL.
I worry so much about my cholestrol, i'm having it checked this week.

Thanks again Babs, oh almost forgot to ask, have you a recipe for Rhubarb Pie? i have some in my freezer and i love it.

Broná
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Feb-20-05, 17:06

Hi Brona,
I'm assuming you've taken the carb count of the cauli froma US book or site - total carbs includes fibre while the nett or digestible carbs are all you have to count for dieting. However, beware, as the fibre is already deducted here and in UK, so if the label says 5 carbs, it's 5 carbs!
Fat consumption is a debatable issue - if you're on Atkins, most purists say you shouldn't cut it back as it helps satiety and has no impact on blood sugar. If, however, you find that your cholesterol goes up by a whopping number and stays up, it might be appropriate to cut back a little. This is a contentious issue and you really need to examine everything as it affects you and the programme you've chosen. I low carb to my own plan and don't worry about fat, but YMMV. I suspect that calories overall DO matter, though, so you need to 'weigh' it all up and decide!
I DO have a recipe for both pastry and crumble - the problem with rhubarb is the ability to get it sweet enough. I mix crushed Splenda tablets (much lower in carbs than granular) and the herb Stevia, which I got from US - this seems to help by a synergistic effect to make it sweeter. I also add ground coriander - absolutely gorgeous spice for rhubarb, so orangey.
I will search out my pastry and crumble recipes and post them tomorrow.
Babs
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Feb-21-05, 07:37

BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks Babs

Hi Babs,

Thank you for the tips, i'm looking forward to you recipes.

I'm doing Atkins, did very well on induction, lost 13lbs, i lost a further 3lbs on first week of OWL, BUT the second week gained 2lbs, figure that one out!!!!!

I didn't cheat and only added two Strawberries, i'm starting to think that calories are very important at this stage although i'm keeping them at around 1000-1200 daily.

I'm having my cholestrol checked this Wednesday, i should have my results back by the following Wednesday, that will be interesting
I don't know if i'm doing the right thing but i have cut back on my fat intake until i get cholestrol results.

Thanks Babs.

Broná
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Feb-21-05, 14:30

I don't know how you manage Atkins with that number of calories - are you sure you're eating enough? Have you read the book? I know from other people's posts that you are deemed NOT to be doing Atkins if you are this low - eating a good percentage of fat, as high as 70 - 90 % is what is required, plus the requisite amount of vegetables, water etc. Why are you cutting back on fat until you get the cholesterol results? This is unlikely to skew them in time and if you really want to know what low carb is doing you need to stay on it to get a proper picture and be re-tested accordingly.
You will find lots of info on this site and many others regarding the cholesterol controversy - most Atkin's folk find that their cholesterol goes down, not up. If you are worried, maybe a change to South Beach or GI would suit you better, but you need to get the books and follow the programmes, at least to start with.
Babs
PS - will post my crumble/pastry recipes next - there are MILLIONS of fab recipes available on the net. You could spend a dozen lifetimes trying them out and tweaking them to suit you. If you want particular options, use google and then save the sites for later perusal.