Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Jan-24-05, 17:41

Plan: I used to follow Atkin's
Stats: 1/1/140 Female 64"
BF:
Progress:
Default Terrible taters

I am sorry to hear that you think Idaho Russetts are so terrible.
I sympathize with you in that your husband can still feel good while eating different than you. That sure seems to be the way of the world.
All the veggies you mentioned are some of the best in my opinion too. No arguing over that!
I don't know about needing to eat the potatos raw to get the Vitamin C--does anyone out there know about that?
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Jan-24-05, 17:47

BF:
Progress:
Default Omega-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dina1957
I'm not a fan of polyunsaturated oils but the major sources of Omega-3 is still flax oil, also fatty cold water fish, seafood, and walnuts. There is some EFA in Omega-3 enriched eggs (if the chickens are fed flax meal), you can also take it as a supplement. Unfortunately, monosaturated oils like Olive oil contain traces of Omega-3, and saturated contain none. Flax oil is still the richest source. If you are careful with flax oil, it won't oxidaze, just do not cook with it. You can check this link below for the Omega-3 sources:
http://www.healthyhearts.com/fishoilomega.htm
We need a very small amount of Omega-3, a couple of tbs of flax meal or 1 tbs of falx oil, or even eating fatty fish twice a week will do.As for saturated fat, I like it myself too.

I just heard a Dr. speak about conservation for this century. He said that now scientists have developed a soy bean that has OMEGA-3.
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Jan-24-05, 18:09

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
I don't know about needing to eat the potatos raw to get the Vitamin C--does anyone out there know about that?

Vitamin C is not stable in heat, so in boiling, frying or baking a lot of the Vitamin C in potatoes would be lost into the cooking water or destroyed by the heat of cooking.
BTW, strawberries have way more Vitamin C than even oranges and even Cabbage (uncooked, of course) is a good source; both are low carb.

Quote:
I just heard a Dr. speak about conservation for this century. He said that now scientists have developed a soy bean that has OMEGA-3.

The problem with soybeans is their phytoestrogens and goitrogenic properties as well as the fact that, unfermented, they are not terribly good for you in anything but small amounts.
http://www.westonaprice.org/soy/soy_studies.html
http://www.westonaprice.org/soy/isoflavones.html

OTOH, feeding those high Omega-3 soybeans to cows might help increase the Omega-3 content of the meat and milk. Hmmm....

Last edited by Lisa N : Mon, Jan-24-05 at 18:20.
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Jan-24-05, 18:13

Plan: atkins ish
Stats: 150/147/120 Female 5'3
BF:NoMore Preggers!
Progress: 10%

You know all I saw was Krispy Kreme doughnuts!!!! I am with Cammie. I got really side tracked by the doughnut

I personal don't miss potatoes. I do miss doughnuts though!!! :P
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Jan-24-05, 18:22
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-potato
it's probably genetically modified soy anyway, I'm not kin with soy. Enough scary information about it. On the other hand, fermented soy products like miso and tempeh are very beneficial. Just a pity that my favorite miso soup is loaded with sodium.
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Jan-24-05, 18:26

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
Vitamin C is not stable in heat, so in boiling, frying or baking a lot of the Vitamin C in potatoes would be lost into the cooking water or destroyed by the heat of cooking.
BTW, strawberries have way more Vitamin C than even oranges and even Cabbage (uncooked, of course) is a good source; both are low carb.

I read in a book that the reason that the Vikings did not get scurvy on their long voyages, like the English did, was that they took sauerkraut as a food item in the boats. The kraut had vitamin C.
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Jan-24-05, 18:30

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
I read in a book that the reason that the Vikings did not get scurvy on their long voyages, like the English did, was that they took sauerkraut as a food item in the boats. The kraut had vitamin C.

I doubt that I can find the link back, but I was reading recently where fermenting cabbage (as in home made saur kraut) actually increased the Vitamin C content. Mmmmmm....good home made sausage and saurkraut....now I have to make some of that for dinner this week!
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Jan-24-05, 18:48
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger

Speaking of kraut, I tried the recipe in Sally Fallon's Nourishing Traditions cookbook. I used red cabbage ('cause it's pretty), and let it ferment a couple of days longer since we keep our house on the cool side. We had it for lunch today and ate it raw so all the good bacteria and enzymes wouldn't be destroyed, and wow, was it amazing. I've a good part of Teuton blood, and my SO is a Polak, so between the two of us we should be a good judge of saurkraut, and we agreed it was the best saurkraut we've ever had. It was still pretty crunchy and could have been a little more sour, but the depth of flavor was wonderful. I tried out the kimchi recipe from the same book, and it was excellent too.

Wyv
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Jan-24-05, 23:12
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

saurkraut is a staple in my house during winter time, I make it from regular cabbage, old fashion way, and it taste delicious. It could be made from red cabbage, but a bit different recipe, we call it armenian cabbage. Good saurkraut is also great with olive oil, just in place of a salad.
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-05, 08:31
Registered Member

Plan: HFH
Stats: 297/291/200 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

Quote:
Mmmmmm....good home made sausage and saurkraut....now I have to make some of that for dinner this week!

Ok, now you have me hungry...you got a recipe for those sausage? Or am I gonna have to stalk ya?
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-05, 15:57

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinadal
Ok, now you have me hungry...you got a recipe for those sausage? Or am I gonna have to stalk ya?

No stalking necessary. I'm on a first name basis with my local butcher who makes the best homemade sausage I've ever had (family recipe). He was kind enough to let me see the ingredients in his spice mix when I first started low carbing (no sugar!), so I always get my sausage there even though it's a bit more per pound than the big chain stores. Quality is worth the extra $$.
One of these days, I'm going to dust off the sausage attachment for my Kitchen Aid and have a shot at making my own; maybe next time I'm snowed in for a day or two.
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-05, 19:46
Registered Member

Plan: HFH
Stats: 297/291/200 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

Quote:
No stalking necessary. I'm on a first name basis with my local butcher who makes the best homemade sausage I've ever had (family recipe). He was kind enough to let me see the ingredients in his spice mix when I first started low carbing (no sugar!), so I always get my sausage there even though it's a bit more per pound than the big chain stores. Quality is worth the extra $$.
One of these days, I'm going to dust off the sausage attachment for my Kitchen Aid and have a shot at making my own; maybe next time I'm snowed in for a day or two.
You better mail me some! Or I'll mail you an envelop of powdered sugar!
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Jan-26-05, 09:22

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinadal

I am wanting the red cabbage kraut recipe....
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Jan-26-05, 15:24

Plan: atkins since 1-21-03
Stats: 210/155/125 Female 5 ft. 3 in.
BF:
Progress: 65%

ooohhhhh! i miss those butter gold potatoes.

they taste like they were injected with butter but werent.

they are my downfall.
  #45   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-05, 20:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 142/118/115 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:have no idea
Progress: 89%

haha, this is funny to me, because I live in Idaho. I also read somewhere that they're planning to engineer a "low-carb" potato. What?