Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Did you get treated differently when you lost weight?
Yes, People treated me with more respect 101 72.66%
Yes, People treated me with less respect 1 0.72%
No, Just the same 23 16.55%
Who cares? I'm my own person! 14 10.07%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-05, 07:53
Twinkle Toes

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/280/150 Female 5 feet 1 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

MissSwan

Living well is the best revenge, being at a good weight is too, I know how the slings and arrows can get to you, but it'll stick in her craw a heck of a lot more if you just smile when she says how sickly you look, and say "Yeah whatever, but I bet I'm in far better health than you are". Eventually she'll get the message and stop bugging you.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-05, 14:49

Plan: southbeach
Stats: 267/259/140 Female 5ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%
Question loose skin

I really don't want to offend anybody, but I have a sensitive question that acually pertains to me and the 100 somthing pounds I need to loose. Where does all the loose skin go? Does it shrink? Will I have to have plastic surgery? I'm 44. Can someone who's really been there honestly inform me so I'm prepared. I began SB yesterday and lost 5 pounds over night,(I peed every 2 hours and I am menstral, sorry men.) I hope my questions don't sound to dumb, but I would like an answer. thanks, Faith
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-05, 23:08

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

I voted I dont' care.....and I really don't. I'm past that point in my life.

That said, however, if I was out job hunting I'd rather be thinner. Some of my friends have reported that they get less respect from doctors, but I haven't experienced that....but that might be because they all know I'm a RN.

Studies have shown that good looking people have higher average pay, have less trouble getting a job, apartment. Height matters too....the taller the better for most things....having hair is also better than not having it.

Part of the reaction is inborn in us. Studies show that babies respond better to pictures of pretty people better than less pretty people. And part of the reaction is due to people's incorrect impressions of what someone who's fat, bald and/or short is like. We get categorized....and often looks is the only thing people judge you on. Sad, isn't it?

Add "old age" into the mix and it's a disaster!
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-05, 16:23

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindySue48
Height matters too....the taller the better for most things....having hair is also better than not having it. ...

And part of the reaction is due to people's incorrect impressions of what someone who's fat, bald and/or short is like. We get categorized....and often looks is the only thing people judge you on. Sad, isn't it?

Add "old age" into the mix and it's a disaster!

Stop it CindySue. I'm old, fat, balding and short!!!!! Help!!!! However, my sense of humour has gotten me through some very tough and heart-breaking situations. I have a job of sorts and a couple of good friends and family members that I actually get along with. I guess that's all that counts. If I had known the truth, maybe I would have been miserable for most of my life. Ignorance is bliss I guess.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-05, 16:56

Plan: Atkins since sept 22/02
Stats: 205/165/150 Female 5'8
BF:32/28/22
Progress: 73%
Default lose skin

Hi faith, hey, your skin will be fine! When you loose slow and steady, and EXCERSIZE your skin will shrink with you. Now, depending on your age and how much you loose, yes, some people do need surgury to remove excess skin. However, I know people who have lost over 100 lbs and their skin is tight and looks great.

Miss Swan, hey your thin face with soon be normal. I think ( my experience) for some reason weight loss seems to show in the face first. However, after a month or so my face sort of filled in again and looks ok. I'm sure yours will too!

#21   ^
Old Mon, Jan-31-05, 01:56
aka Celestine

Stats: 247/185/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

Yes, people are definitely nicer to me now that I'm a normal weight. No doubt about it.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Feb-01-05, 17:54

Plan: self-designed
Stats: 216/189/190 Male tad under 6'
BF:
Progress: 104%

We sell ourselves to the public by how we package ourselves. How we appear to the public-eye is revealing of how we would like to be treated. It also discloses something about our inner-feelings, our social standing, our confidence, and many other aspects of our nature. Obesity is one part of the packaging.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Feb-05-05, 08:00
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

I get more attention from women, especially thin women. More thin women comment on my weight/loss/size than anyone else.
Guess they are very aware of appearance. it's a little disconcerting.
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Feb-05-05, 18:19
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 185/185/150 Female 169cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

When i lost alot of weight i really noticed a difference in how others treated me. Yes, i got alot more looks, comments, etc. from men, but rather than feeling threatened, it made me feel sexy, but then again i guess i am just a flirt at heart.

I , too noticed more eye contact, and more interest in what i have to say, it's like a fat person's opinions don't matter (If i ever turn into one of the morons who treats anyone like that somebody please shoot me).
But over all I noticed the largest difference when i was eating out. When you are big ppl look at u as though you should justify eating anything, like you are trying to stay fat by eating. As a thinner person it is actually acceptable to eat.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Feb-08-05, 14:22
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/201/160 Female 5, 7'
BF:
Progress:

Back in the day of my long legs before two children and about 100 lbs I made friends easier people did seem to look at me in a different light. But I'm not sure if thats just my insecurities talking or what all I know is now that I'm bigger I feel worse which I'm sure contibutes to how I percive people are looking at me.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Feb-08-05, 14:46
WONJ#3

Plan: 12 steps
Stats: 238/210/145 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 30%

I am painfully aware of the difference.

I've been heavier than I am right now as well as much thinner than I am right now. I'm sort in the middle. But even at this weight I notice the difference.

When I'm at my heaviest, people ignore me. Not just men but women as well, as if they don't want a fat friend.

When I am out with one of my girlfriends, she will get all the attention and I will usually be ignored.

When I am thinner, people are more helpful and friendlier. It is not my perception, I wish it was just in my head.

Maybe for a man it is different since the guy who posted this liked the respect that being a bulkier guy gave him.

But as a woman, I have felt less than part of the human race.

So in answer to the question, yes people have treated me much better when I am thinner and when I am heavier I am either ignored or unimportant and discounted.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Feb-13-05, 05:35

Plan: self-designed
Stats: 216/189/190 Male tad under 6'
BF:
Progress: 104%

Faithcrow, frequent urination is an early side-effect of LC. I guess it happens partly due to the reduced bulk in the stomach and partly due to excess water being shed too, which is another early feature. It is also early confirmation that the diet is working. Severe constipation could also accompany the early stages of the diet. In this regard I found adding coconut to the diet helped to ease the problem. Acidophilus also helps in restoring the naturally beneficial bacteria in the gut.Those side-effects wear off.

Loose skin should shrink given time but once beyond 55 it becomes more difficult for this to occur. Give it time.

A small caveat here; a year ago I lost a 45 year old daughter to BC. She was 5'6" tall and a size 24. She was a single woman whose diet consisted partly of salads but mainly processed foods from the supermarket heated in the microwave. Any advice I attempted to give her was ignored. I was just 'dad' from another generation so how could I possibly understand the young? I counseled her on the likely consequences of both diet and excess weight but to no avail. I saw that she was an ill woman a year prior her death and encouraged her to stay with me so that I might have some control over her diet but her two sisters opposed the suggestion. When she subsequently began to suffer pain she was misdiagnosed. Only after I expressed my concern to her physician was her condition discovered. Three weeks later she was dead.

In telling you this I am not seeking sympathy but if I can give you sufficient cause to apply yourself to weight-control then my experience will not have been wasted. Most of us, during our working lives, have too many other things to concern us so the lesser immediate things, like dieting, are left on the back-burner and that's a mistake that we discover often when it is too late.

To enjoy life, good health is imperative which can only happen through understanding the effect of diet and food. The young are resilient and think they are immortal which, of course, is the way of life.

Last edited by Duparc : Sun, Feb-13-05 at 19:51.
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Feb-13-05, 16:45

Stats: 219/199.5/130 Female 64
BF:A lot
Progress: 22%
Default I'll feel different

Hopefully, that will be the case. Now, the people who know me feel that I'm "pretty", or whatever positive adjectives you can come up with. But with those who don't know me, I feel they look right through me. Although, I do find that a smile on my face elicits positive reactions from folks. And children seem to respond to anyone who gives off good vibes.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-05, 21:44

Stats: 203/138/140 Female 65inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

I have also noticed a complete change in the way people react to me. Stares and smiles are fairly common for me now. Before, I swear I felt invisible. No one ever paid attention to me and I never saw anyone even smile or approach me. It is very strange how different the world is now that I am thin.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-05, 22:39
Circling...

Stats: 230/222/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 10%

MsTwacky..... you said my exact thoughts... and better than I could. I'm at a heavy weight now but have yo-yo'd enough to really notice the difference in treatment from fat to thinner.

So my answer is ditto MsTwacky! LOL!