Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#61   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 07:04

Plan: low-carb
Stats: 162/135/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi,

I've not been here for a very long while, but just wanted to see if this thread was still continuing. I am 68, and I truly don't believe it, because I still feel so young at heart.
I'm certainly no stranger to low-carb... (Atkins). It has certainly helped to keep my weight in check over the years.
However, in the last two years, I've been trying to get 15 lbs. off, and have lost 9 of those. SLOW is an understatement, but I KNOW it can be done.

It is very difficult, but not impossible to find like-minded people who are on a low carb WOE.

I certainly hope this post will trigger more comments to keep this thread alive.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 16:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 295/230/150 Female 5 ft. 7 in.
BF:
Progress: 45%

I am 62, may I join you?
I need to lose over 100 lbs. and am trying to lose it with low carb.
Flowersoul come back and post so we can talk more.
  #63   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 19:53
Registered Member

Plan: my own low carb
Stats: 100/100/100 Male 50.0 inches
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SissyPoo
I am 62, may I join you?
I need to lose over 100 lbs. and am trying to lose it with low carb.
Flowersoul come back and post so we can talk more.

Hi there! I seem to be following you around today
I am turning 62 this August. at least that is what my driver's license shows!
Wt loss is coming along nicely with the high fat and low carbs.... almost never have veggies and have gotten rid of the GERD by doing that. Also off the BP meds and every other med. Weather here is getting better...
I was from south Florida until moving here 2 yrs ago. Love it here!
  #64   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 21:39

BF:

Hi, I'm back, I'm I'm back!!

So glad for the response. Really didn't expect one this soon, so sure am glad I posted.

I've been here in Florida for almost 6 years, and just wonder why we didn't come here sooner. I love everything about it!

Hope we can exchange a lot of ideas how to get this weight in control, and of course, anything else we can think of to talk about.
  #65   ^
Old Sun, May-18-08, 14:04

BF:

I am in Pace, Fla. right outside Pensacola.
Have you all been on low carb long? I am new to it, just began a few days ago. Been online today checking out the Atkins sites and getting his induction plan and the other phases of his plan to. Also got a list of foods for induction to and I plan to put that on front of my fridge....
I was told I needed to read his book on induction but I see he has everything right here online and you can print it up. But I amy buy his book anyway when I go to the store.
Doing good with my eating so far. For breakfast I had a egg and bacon and lunch was a tuna salad with lettuce and some tomato.
I bought me some splenda and got rid of my sweet n low for my ice tea.
I do drink coffee and have not given that up because I need it in the mornings to wake me up. Do you think It will hurt me losing any?
I have drank it all my life so that may be hard to give up.
I do not drink very many diet soda at all but I do need to drinkl more water I know that.
I started a journal, there is not much in it yet but I promise there will be because I will post in it regularly. So if you want to keep check on my progress you can find me there.

Nice meeting you.
  #66   ^
Old Sun, May-18-08, 18:07
Registered Member

BF:

Hi ya'll! I was in South Florida. Hubby born in Boca Raton and lived there his entire life. I couldn't deal with the high taxes and huricanes and we moved to South East Alabama... just barely out of FL so the weather is great, no taxes to worry about and fantastic people!
Sissy, I posted the entire Induction stuff on your journal. I have been living Atkins for so many years and it is different for everyone..and he HAS changed it drastically over the many years I have been around it. I would say drop the soda..you MUST have way more than the 64 oz of PURE water for this. Ketosis puts those nasty ketones in your system and they do need to be flushed out bigtime.Biggest help is weighing everything and FItDay is fabulous. I don't bother with a journal just the Fitday.com for everything and it is free!
Gotta get going and get a cake decorated... yep, I sell baked goods! What a hoot! The more I bake the more I lose
Tomorrow I need an anniversary cake...making it with bride and groom clowns with the pictures of their faces on the bodies...SO CUTE!
  #67   ^
Old Sun, May-18-08, 18:09

BF:

Sissy I am no stranger to low carb. I was first introduced to Atkins back in the 70s. It's always been the WOE I go back to when I get in too much trouble in the food department.

I've NEVER given up my coffee, and lost very well. There are many who don't give it up, and I've never had a problem. Of course I do drink it black, so if you don't drink it black, I still think that's OK, as long as you use cream.
As far as the sweeteners go, I rarely, if ever, use them. Just be careful with what you use.
  #68   ^
Old Mon, May-19-08, 14:03

BF:

I am following induction and not eating anything that is not on its list of foods to eat. This is day five for me. So far I feel I have been doing real good.
My stomach was loose for a few days but its ok now. I guess its the change in my diet.
I feel like I have already lost some but don't have any scales to weigh myself yet. I will get some though when I make it to the store.
I know I have gotton rid of alot of water weight because I do not feel all bloated like I was.

I have tried all diet plans there is but never tried low carb for some unknown reason. I learned about it from a article I was reading in a magazine. So I got on line and checked it out. It was about Atkins low carb.
I checked out alot of other low carb boards to but thought this one sounded like it would be the best for me.
  #69   ^
Old Mon, May-19-08, 14:45
Registered Member

BF:

Hi folks I too drink coffee and it is fine...I believe the cauton is for more than 1-2 cups a day and everyone is different.
If you haven't tried the DaVinci SF flavored syrups, you are in for a treat! I use the Irish cream and Praline a lot, enjoy the Kalhua and vanilla too. Theu have NO carbs since they use liquid splenda and no bulk...no calories and no sugars... really good stuff!
I love the older Atkins becasue it doesn't restrict the cream like the 2002 does. I really love my cream!
I also love this forum. I spent many many months on the official site and there is just no breathing room for individual ideas. It is either 2002 to the letter or nothing. Some people are rather nice there but I am very happy to be here. I have learned so much and did find what works for me. The higher fat, lower protein, very lc and little veggies.
Glad to have found you both too!
Have got to go and get the blueberry crop paths mowed. Tomorrow I trim around the grape arbors, transplant the veggies to their permanent home...TTYL
  #70   ^
Old Mon, May-19-08, 22:49
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/164/145 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 37%

Hi:
I'm 68, have just finished 3 weeks of induction and only lost 7 pounds....getiing discouraged and have started drinking a glass of red wine a night. ....is it possible to lose and drink too?

I feel that I was following the program pretty strictly, but also take BP meds, and thyroid also. I'm recovering from a hip replacement I had to give up golf and the gym,(gained 40 pounds) but I'm hoping to ease back into some physical activity soon.

I am a believer in LC, I know it's the healthy way to go, but I wish it would go a little faster. Any help appreciated. I'm so glad there is an over 50's group, I think we share a lot of the same physical problems.
  #71   ^
Old Tue, May-20-08, 08:35
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 308/298.2/150 Female 5' 4.5"
BF:
Progress: 6%

I have been on LC for the past two months. Lost about 4 lbs on Atkins, then switched to SB and lost about 8, but am now yoyoing up and down - yesterday I was up 5 lbs. I, too, have a thyroid problem and the doctor has said she thinks I am pre-diabetic, but I tested my blood sugar and it never got very high. I know this is the only way for me regardless of whether I ever lose or not. I just know that I feel better. I used to be able to lose 10 lbs the first week of a diet, but no more. I told my MD I was doing SB yesterday and he was very happy about that. My blood pressure was perfect considering my weight.

A lot of my problem is the fact that I don't have any counter space in my little bitty kitchen so if I can't nuke it or eat it the way it comes, I don't make it. I hope the time comes where I can move into a place with a larger kitchen - more counter and cabinets and a dishwasher under the counter instead of on the counter where mine is now. It gets so frustrating as I see so many recipes I would love to try, but I have no room to put the mixing bowls, etc. Oh well, this, too shall pass.

I get a little depressed and end up eating whatever carbs I have in the house - got into a package of Rye Krisp last night - so when they are gone, they won't be replace. Now my larder only has good food left.
  #72   ^
Old Tue, May-20-08, 12:26

BF:

No I am not going to cheat, I am determined to lose the weight.
Right now I do not think anything could make me eat wrong.
  #73   ^
Old Tue, May-20-08, 13:44

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 167/135/127 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 80%

Hello!
So glad I found you all, so inspiring; I need help to get back on track!
  #74   ^
Old Tue, May-20-08, 13:45

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by krosmon
A lot of my problem is the fact that I don't have any counter space in my little bitty kitchen so if I can't nuke it or eat it the way it comes, I don't make it. I hope the time comes where I can move into a place with a larger kitchen - more counter and cabinets and a dishwasher under the counter instead of on the counter where mine is now. It gets so frustrating as I see so many recipes I would love to try, but I have no room to put the mixing bowls, etc. Oh well, this, too shall pass.

I get a little depressed and end up eating whatever carbs I have in the house - got into a package of Rye Krisp last night - so when they are gone, they won't be replace. Now my larder only has good food left.
I lived with a tiny kitchen for about 5 years and found it frustrating, too. I had a space of 2'x2' to work in. Even now in a larger kitchen I run out of room! One way I make room is by putting a cutting board on the stove burners so I can cut veggies and such on it. Another way to make more room is to put a cutting board over the sink. Wish we all had big kitchens!
  #75   ^
Old Wed, May-21-08, 15:10

BF:

We have plenty of room in our kitchen to chop and cut things.
I like a big kitchen with a table in it. I like to sit at the table and do all my chopping though.
We do have a formal dining room to but it never gets uses, maybe during the holidays thats all.
We eat out on the patio out by the pool area most times for supper in the evenings.
Our children are married now so I don't have to cook for kids anymore. Can now sit down and relax when I eat.

But putting a chopping block on top of the stove is a good idea when space is limited.
Closed Thread