Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#46   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-07, 14:41

Plan: ex kimkins
Stats: 263/190/170 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress:

Wow I want to get off meds too take lots of them..I take 3 BP meds but my pressure is between 125 and 132 the bottom number is good like in the low 70's but I am still taking the 3 medications maybe I'll get them reduced..Haven't been to the doctor since I lost this weight..I must say though my arthritis is 75% better then it was..but I'm still taking celebrex afraid to stop it...I am actually 69 and was fat fat fat for a long time so my track record isn't very good..I am packing up my fat clothes and storing them I just had to buy everything new even my shoes are too big..I know I should give them away but I can't yet...I'll keep them for awhile then give them away....

Peg
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-07, 20:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 191/189/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 6%

Hi Peg. You should go and get rechecked by your doctor or find a new one. You don't have high BP. Mine was about 130/80 when they took me off the meds.
Different drs have different opinions, of course.

I bet you don't need the celebrex either. For the last two weeks, I was out of celebrex, just went to the dr today, as a matter of fact to get a renewal for it. Well, come to find out, I really didn't need it at all. I've been fine without it and even my bad knees are 90% better. The dr was surprised, even. I've been doing a bit of walking, so I guess that did it, along with losing 16 lbs.
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-07, 06:59

BF:
Progress:

thanks Spuydurgurl I have a regular scheduled Dr appointment in a few weeks..I haven't seen him since I lost the weight..I must say though I lost it all on Kimkins and in 3 months which we now know wasn't a good thing..but the weight is off...

Just goes to show you, there's no fool like an old fool..I blindly followed that diet and ate 500 calories a day for most of it...
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Nov-02-07, 10:23
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Peg....
what's kimkins? And only 500 cals a day! Yikes! Were you starving all the time?
I bet when you see your dr he will take you off those meds....
Yesterday I had foot surgery...so I am hobbling around.....yesterday was a mixture of pain and fog, but today I am a lot better, thank God!
Have a good OP day....I will, cause' it's too hard to get to the refridgerator! lol
  #50   ^
Old Sun, Nov-04-07, 05:54

BF:
Progress:

Spuydurgirl hope your foot is better
  #51   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-07, 23:11
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Peg....I am back to normal already. Throwing the crutches away....they slowed me down too much. I only had about 2 days of slowing down.....Yay!
I lost 2 more lbs, too. Probably because of all the exercise in using those
crutches....but they really helped me in the beginning.
How are you doing?
  #52   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-08, 09:37
Registered Member

Plan: my own low carb
Stats: 100/100/100 Male 50.0 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi all. I'm 61 and mentally feel great. I'm a 2nd time around gal like a lot of others. New around here but a survivor from the official site for months. It's so much more laid back and friendly here.
  #53   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-08, 14:13
Registered Member

BF:

Boy, I haven't been on here in a long time. Gained most of my wt back , but I am back on the Atkins' WOE and feeling better already.
Hi Cricket...glad to meet you. I'm going to be 65 in June, but feel quite young and giddy, actually! LOL
Looking forward to getting to know you.
  #54   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-08, 15:10
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 308/298.2/150 Female 5' 4.5"
BF:

Hi.

I'm 71 - will be 72 in August. Only my ninth day on my program, but today, I feel a little better. Doctor diagnosed me as pre-diabetic on Friday, and yesterday, I got the shakes, so made a drink out of an apple, some blueberries and a piece of celery and that seemed to help. Other than a little cramping the first couple of days, I haven't really had a bad time with this. I feel like my mind is clearer and today, I actually feel a little lighter, although the scale hasn't budged for the past five days or so.

Went shopping today and it is fun reading labels and only choosing the stuff you know will work. I ended up getting myself a fresh shrimp and "lobster" salad with lettuce and some dressing. Only 2 grams of carbs net. I only used the dressing to dunk the shrimp in. I was hungry so ate it in the car before I left the parking lot. I feel so happy with myself. Now to make myself exercise.

I've been heavy most of my adult life - lost and gained anywhere from 20-110 lbs at a time on almost every diet out there, but never kept the weight off. This time, I can't play around any more as I don't want to get sick and I'm not getting any younger.

So happy to find this site.
  #55   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-08, 20:42
Registered Member

BF:

Hi everyone I lost this thread and was hppy it popped up for me now
Hi Krosman. I hear you! None of us can afford to wast the time we have playing games with our bodies now. For the life of me I have no idea where the time has gone to.

I'm a very restricted income too so I know what you guys are referring to. Moved here thinking I would continue working. We bought this OLD place and with the income I used to make we would have had the wholeplace renovated in a snap. Go figure I would become totally disabled and not work one day after the move. SS disc. checks do not go far. Also have the realty crunch. Bought the farm next to us too and figurred that the Sale of my condo would more than easily cover that a few months after the purchase. Have been sitting with the place for one year now. YIKES!
But at least I can move around now pretty well once I started to listen to the body. That's what we all have to do isn't it?
Well, hope to see you folks again and chat.
  #56   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-08, 08:20
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 308/298.2/150 Female 5' 4.5"
BF:

Hi. Hope you're doing well.

I know about the money crunch. I was working and sailing along and spending money on cruises and things, including a pedigree pup, like it was everlasting - I'd plan to work another 3 years. And four days after I bought the pup, I was laid off from the mortgage business. At 71 and in the real estate business, there aren't many opportunities right now to find work. I am on unemployment, but got hit with big car repair bills and some other stuff, and now find out the unemployment runs out in a couple months. What to do as I have tons of bills??? Oh well, it'll work out one way or the other. I have social security but that isn't enough to cover everything.

And the weight loss has stalled. Every morning, I think I feel thinner so I must have lost, but wrong. I guess I should expect this at my age. At least on this program, I don't get those hunger pangs and start to panic.

Going to be a warm day here. Hope you are doing well.
  #57   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-08, 10:07

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I'm 61 and am very glad that I switched to the healthy low-carb lifestyle 5 years ago. I'm off all medications and feel great. I retired a couple of years ago and the reduced stress was really a great feeling.

My older brother died last October from complications of diabetes. I believe that if he had switched to low-carb eating and not followed the ADA high-carb, low-fat advice, he would be alive today.

One advantage of being retired is that I now have time to fix up the house. Of course the downside is that my income is much less, so I have to do the work a little at a time. My main project this summer will be to refinish the wood floor in the dining romm and living room. The floor needs to be sanded, re-stained, and top coated. Because of switching to low-carb eating, I no longer feel the need to take afternoon naps, so I can do things all day and get things done faster.
  #58   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-08, 12:53
Registered Member

BF:

Hi everyone Well, we sure have lots of things in common here Mike, when you get done there, would come over and give DH a hand? LOL
We have plywood flooring now that covers the rotten plank flooring we discovered, and we need a ceiling in the 2 front rooms as well as walls! Wasn't kidding about this old house. We found it to be SIX 100 yr old cabins joined under one roof.UGH!
Kathleen, I'm sorry about you troubles. You have wonderful memories and things will turn around. Markets will be back soon ( I PRAY) and someone with all your experience will land a good posititon.
H Spydurgurl gaining is so much easier than losing! Not at all fair but you know what to do!
Hope you all have a wonderful and stress free weekend!
  #59   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-08, 06:13

Plan: atkins
Stats: 148/139/128 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Hi everyone. Being a newbie here, I just found this thread while exploring. I am 66 but surely that number is a mistake! I've never had a huge weight problem, the highest I ever weighed was 161 and off to WW I went, and lost 32 pounds. Of course I slowly fell into old ways, and now seem to have a lifestyle of dieting. Did Atkins many years ago and decided it was time to give it another try. With the internet, there is so much info available now, and thank heavens I found this site. Google is a wonderful thing. With the recipes offered here, I am eating well and never hungry. No suffering of deprivation. Even though I only want to lose 20 pounds to get back to my skinny self, I have already lost 6 pounds in the first two weeks. Its a wonderful thing.
  #60   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-08, 16:58
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Faro I did the old Atkins and had great success,but the new version wasn't as good for me. Eventually I wandered back to the old one and stay on the induction foods and use total and not the net carb stuff. I also was thrilled to fing this forum and got off the other site..too many stressed out folks there
You won't have prolems with only 20 to go! I can't wait until I get that close too!

Hi Peg... I hope your doc reduces the BP meds and he most likely will. But don't be surprised if you are weaned off. Are you are still on them and are taking the BP while on these?
If you are, then you may be in the high range without them.
I dislke any medication but sometimes they are needed. BUt as you lose more weight, then you may get off everything.
Good luck
Closed Thread