Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Jan-17-05, 07:48

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%
Smile Blinded to the bad stuff....

Quote:
Originally posted by you: I really like the look of things (course I am blind to the bad spots
Me too. I'm thinking things are lookin' pret-ty good, and have dh take some pictures.....then I'm forced to see all the "bad spots." AND-- agreed, once this FAT pad is gone, things should look pretty good even in pictures . Have you taken any pictures of yourself recently for comparison purposes? I started taking Creatine today. It will cause some water weight gain, as it has before, but also will increase my strength and lower my bodyfat. I will take 5 grams in the morning and after weight training. I put it in my coffee this morning as it will melt in hot liquids-- it was a little bitter mixed with my Fasweet, but not too bad. It in itself has no taste, but if you don't put it in something hot (not caffeine) it is grainy and sticks inside your glass.

I'm glad your little guy gets to watch you work-out. I remember having mine at the gym with me on occasions through-out his life. Since he's been grown we even have done some work-outs together. It's a bonding experience. Not sure what I'll work today, but either back or chest.
One other thing I put in that soup was 4 ozs. of cream cheese. I just realized I left that out. I'll add it in now with an edit. Talk to you later.

Last edited by galatia : Mon, Jan-17-05 at 13:08.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-05, 03:16
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%
Default LBWO, cardio

pre-dinner cardio last night..... 30min on the exercise bike, 300cals burned

ATF squats, BW only 3x10
ss w/
individ. standing calf raises, BW only 3x10
last few reps of last set....had to work for it

Step box Press w/16.5lb (bar+5kg)DB 3x10 good remember to take it slow....watch balance
ss w/
Leg ext 4plates (40lbs) 3x10 good; last 3 reps hard

Alternating standing leg curls, 2plates, 3x10 hold and squeeze at the top. good. very good.
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-05, 07:42

BF:

Hi there. Thanks for the nice words on my work-out set-up. It is really all I need for now, and a very pleasent place to work out. I have a nice stereo system too, so the music surrounds me as I work-out.
Quote:

Sometimes I have those weak days, too, and have found it's usually because I didn't eat ANY carbs prior to working out. I always try to have a little something.
I am sure that's my problem. I can tell such a difference when I have carbs before working out, I will make certain I have some today. Yesterday I had a spoonful of peanut butter before working out, but those 2 carbs just weren't enough. On the one hand I want to burn this fat off, on the other, I don't want a wimpy work-out. My back is a little sore this morning, so I'm hoping it wasn't a complete waste of time. You'll be really glad you took pictures. It makes you feel really good to see all that hard work has paid off so well.
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-05, 02:37
muscle bound

Default Cardio

pre-dinner cardio yesterday..........30min, 302cals, level 2. At around 25min mark, I am wanting to be done! Blah, but it's good for me, I know.

No weights today...should be cardio tonight. Might do the ab portion of Buns of Steel video.......need to kick ab work up a notch.
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Jan-20-05, 05:06
muscle bound

Default UBWO, cardio

Once again squeezed in 30min on the bike, 300cal (slackin!), level 3. Also, before the bike, did the ab portion of Buns, and it was hard doing it, felt the burn and all, and today they didn't feel sore until I started the ab portion(see below). Owwww! Next time I'll do the abs in my Firm video..those usually cripple me as well.

Today is UB......

BB flat bench 33lbs(7kg+bar) 3x10 good..bump next time
alt w/assorted ab crunches 3x20 pain,

DB incl flye 7.5kg (bar+2-2.5kg;16.5 lbs) 3x10 really hard
ss w/DB incl press 16.5lbs 1x10 hard, 1x10=[1x5, rest a few sec.;1x3, rest; 1x2.], 1x3, immed. grabbed 8lbs, worked to failure (13)
The big question....will I be able to carry the baby tomorrow?

side lats 8lb 3x10
ss w/seated row, 6plates (60lbs) 3x10 good, bump next time

arnies 10lbs 3x10 good
ss w/upright rows 10lbs 3x10

tri kb's 10lb 3x10
ss w/side curls 10lbs 3x10 good, last few reps of each hard

Last edited by dane : Thu, Jan-20-05 at 06:37.
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Jan-20-05, 07:30

BF:
Smile protein and squats....

Good morning . First off let me say....you were sure right about my protein being too low. I don't know what I was thinking....but I was reading up on it and apparently I should be getting in the 200 gram area-- wowza, I thought I was suppose to be getting 73 grams a day. I will have to cut back on the fat in order to get the protein in and not have 3,000 calories. I hope today is very enlightening in figuring this out. Right now I'm trying to get down my first 4 cups of water. Anyway, I have my morning cut out for me just trying to figure this out . About your squats. Have you tried the bar? Since you've lifted before, and you've been doing bodyweight for a while now, you might could do the bar easy enough. You might only get 5-6 reps. I think you should be able to squat 20 lbs. now. I'd advise the broom for a person just starting out-- but you aren't new to this. You've got balance and movement down pat. And your legs should certainly be strong enough to squat 20 lbs. But if you think you are not ready for that, then go with some lighter dumbbells. The broom is really nothing more than getting use to the movement with something on your back, and you're way past that. IMO. I look forward to seeing what you end up doing-- just understand your strengths and limitations, but don't cheat yourself, or hurt yourself.
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Jan-21-05, 05:09
muscle bound

Default Lbwo

No cardio yesterday, although I spent an hour and a half at the grocery store.....FitDay says that's worth 250cals, so

Got a pretty good soreness in my chest and rear delts today! Can still carry the , though!

Galatia,I posted this in your journal:
Quote:
Thanks for your advice re:squats. While not new to lifting, I am new to the BB. In the past, I had quite good results with machines and DB's, step, bike, and running. Light DB squats and lunges. I had just started playing around with BB just before I got pregnant, and now that I think of it, I did go from BW to BB, and it was fine. <sigh> Guess I just want you to tell me it's ok to be lazy

I'll keep it here as a reminder.

ATF squats, BB bar only (8kg, 17.6lbs)(no ss today....full 60sec rest between)
3x10, wow what a difference. having to really work by the 2nd set..tomorrow will be interesting, re soreness,

individ. standing calf raises, holding an 8lbDB on non-working side, 3x10
good

Step box Press w/16.5lb (bar+5kg)DB 3x10 good
ss w/
Leg ext 4plates (40lbs) 3x10 good

Alternating standing leg curls, 2plates, 3x10 bump next time
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Jan-21-05, 07:26

BF:
Smile it's about squats and weight loss

Hi glad to see you did the squats with the barbell, you'll be adding weight to that in no time. I know it's very hard when you have to start your squats with a "clean and press", and then the dismount once you're tired from the set--that's got to be hard. I know there are several people here on the forum who have to do that-- and I'm very impressed!
Quote:
I got The Look.
Ohhh.....I know what that is . But maybe once he sees how dedicated you are, he'll think it's not such a bad plan . As you say, you can a get a really good work-out without one, but it sure makes it nice to have one. I feel really good about my new plans for losing the weight, and will probably be able to stick with it, until the dreaded monthly hormone nightmare comes around again. But I am planning to lose 5 pounds a month, I hope I can do it. Talk to you later.
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Jan-24-05, 04:56
muscle bound

Oh, I've been lazy this weekend. Not entirelya slug, but definitely slug-like,
Let's see.......Friday got my normal LBWO , and was feeling some soreness the next day along my inner and outer thighs....adding weight to my squats was a good thing! (repeat several times, ) Then Fri pm, did 30min on the stationary bike, 300cals, level 2, did a few mins at level 3 near the end. Shold try bumping to level 3 tonight.

Sat., did a dinky 20 minute walk with the baby, then got disgusted with the mud and came home.....cleaned some. We'll call this a Rest Day,

Sun., went for a walk with the family, no dogs.......walked to the old part of the village, and came home along a wagon path through the middle of fields...a new route, and a mighty pleasant one. Need to remember it for jogging on down the line. Time 1 hour 20 minutes, carrying the baby in the front pack. man, was my back glad to lose that weight! Dh cracked the joke....it's better than Atkins....lose 15lbs in 15 seconds, haha.

Today, UBWO, and cardio later. Gto some more 1kg plates last shopping, so might do some bumpin'.

BB flat bench 35.2lbs(8kg+bar) 3x10 good but hard
alt w/assorted ab crunches 3x20

DB incl flye 7.5kg (bar+2-2.5kg;16.5 lbs) 3x10 really hard
ss w/DB incl press 16.5lbs 2x10 hard (just barely on last few reps), 1x10=[1x4, rest a few sec.;1x4, rest; 1x5],man I could drop to 2kg per side, but I'm stubborn.

side lats 10lb 3x10 last set hard
ss w/seated row, 7plates (70lbs) 3x10 last set hard, and really felt it in upper back. rear delts are burning right now.

arnies 10lbs 3x10 good, hard
ss w/upright rows 10lbs 3x10 good, hard

tri kb's 10lb 3x10
ss w/side curls 10lbs 3x10 both good

I'm watching myself in the mirror as I work..........I can see the separation beginning in my pecs; I can see the indentation along the outside of the biceps during curls; during seated rows I can see the definition of my quads, especially along the outside of my knee....very motivating.
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Jan-24-05, 11:36

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 165/152/150 Female 67 inches
BF:

Hi Dane. We met in the breastfeeding section. Good to see that you are into the weights. We mamas need big muscles . I know what you mean about how cool it is to see your muscles working when you see them in the mirror. I love that my arms and shoulders look muscular when I do pulldowns. The only time I could see my leg muscles working was during deadlifting, but I wear sweats now (otherwise I bruise my shins something terrible). Now if only I could shed some of this disgusting body fat so that they would actually be visible at other times of the day too . Keep of the hard work!

Jen
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Jan-24-05, 17:21

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by Dane: I always check em now!

So do you do your hyperextensions off your bench?
Yes, I will also make sure the pins are tightened down before squating from now on. Happily my legs are sore . I have a hyperextension apparatus-- love that thing. My hamstrings get fried on it. Especially yesterday, after squats-- ouch.

Quote:
I can see the separation
That is the most motivational thing is seeing the muscle definition and growth. Love it!
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-05, 04:50
muscle bound

Default LBWO, cardio

Morning Ladies!

Hey Jen, you should start a journal or sumthin' so I can reply to you..........I don't mind replying here, just not sure you'll see it......... but about the deadlifts..... I had to temporarily stop doing them, cuz my belly was getting in the way. Maybe I should recheck my form against the exrx site..... I miss my SLDL's.

I have noticed a benefit already since I started doing squats...... most times I bathe the baby in the big tub with my other DS, which means I squat at the side of the tub, lean over holding the baby. They both love it...I used to get sore then numb, Now I can go alot longer!

Last night did my usual exercise bike, 30min, 300 cals, level2. I REALLY wanted to stop, especially by minute 25, but I made myself finish cuz I didn't want to have to come here and post 25, and be held accountable,

Lots of achiness (sp?) throughout my shoulders today........ I really worked the heck out of them yesterday! This is good!

Today, LBWO:
ATF squats, BB bar only (8kg, 17.6lbs)(no ss today....full 60sec rest between)
3x10 good, didn't struggle until last few reps of last set

individ. standing calf raises, holding an 8lbDB on non-working side, 3x10
good,last few reps of last 2 sets hard

Step box Press w/16.5lb (bar+5kg)DB 3x10 good
ss w/
Leg ext 4plates (40lbs) 3x10 good, last few reps hard

Alternating standing leg curls, 3plates, 1x10, too heavy to maintain form, drop to 2. (stupid machine 10lb increments only ) 20x2x10. Really strong isometric contractions at top to compensate.

Good workout. Starting to not hate squats as much......great feeling of power down the spine during the upward thrust. Can't wait until fat is GONE and I can have some SPACE between my upper thighs!! I HATE this rubbing together!!!!!
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Jan-26-05, 04:48
muscle bound

Default cardio

pm cardio on the bike last night........ level2, 31min, 300cals.

Today is cardio only. Will do the bike tonight, and hopefully go for a walk to the park and play in the snow!
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Jan-26-05, 19:00

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by Lisa: Hey, are you changing your workout? I noticed Monday's was more than your usual one bodypart. Just curious.
Well, on a whim I decided to do 1 upper body, 1 lower body, 1 just cardio, and then 2 body parts 3 days, which would equal doing all body parts twice-- I don't like it, so I won't be doing it next week. Anyway, that's what that was all about.
Hope you had a great time out playing in the snow.
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-05, 07:23
muscle bound

Default UBWO, cardio

Pre-dinner cardio last night......exercise bike, 30min, 311 cal. Really good session.....I was past 10 minute mark before I realized it...didn't get the usual urge to quit, haha. By 30min I was feeling just fine, but had to feed the family, so stopped at 30.

UB today.....
BB flat bench 35.2lbs(8kg+bar) 3x10 good
alt w/assorted ab crunches 3x20

DB incl flye 7.5kg (bar+2-2.5kg;16.5 lbs) 1x10, drop to bar+4kg(14.3lbs), did 2x10
ss w/DB incl press 16.5lbs 1x10 hard, drop to bar+4, 2x10, last few reps hard
feeling weak today....just couldn't fight through these at higher weight.

side lats 10lb 3x10 good
ss w/seated row, 7plates (70lbs) 3x10 hard

arnies 10lbs 3x10 good
ss w/upright rows 10lbs 3x10 good

tri kb's 10lb 3x10
ss w/side curls 10lbs 3x10 both good

Man, I was SO not in the mood to exercise this afternoon! I think I must run out of steam, or something, by now. 'Course, I didn't eat lunch yet....... maybe that's why? Whatever, I'm glad I made myself do it, and I'm even more glad I'm DONE.