Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-06, 16:08

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 205/140/130 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 87%

I have seen a drop in my milk supply. Have you noticed that? I am only pumping about 4 oz and he eats 5-6 oz of pumped milk out of a bottle at each feeding during the day when I am at work. I was able to pump about 8 oz befor I started losing weight.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-06, 17:02

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 222/199/120 Female 62.5
BF:?/30/20
Progress: 23%

I'm nursing my question is how do you cut the cravings. I'm so hungry all the time I could eat the whole fridge in a day. I had the same problem with my last baby and nothing worked and I ended up gaining 20lbs! Then I got pregnant with this one and I dont' want to gain another 20 lbs!
  #63   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-06, 17:04

Keep drinking lots of water, I think that is the best thing to encourage milk supply. You may need to add more in with loosing weight.
  #64   ^
Old Sun, Jan-08-06, 20:07
Registered Member

Plan: personal low carb
Stats: 224/186/150 Female 65 inches
BF:28%/28%/23%
Progress: 51%

Gaining 20 pounds while pregnant really isn't a problem. Breastfeeding and exercising and eating well will help take it right off. I'm 9 weeks postpartum right now and 4lbs above my prepregnancy weight--and I gained more than 30lbs this last time.

Eat when you're hungry, but make the best choices you can. Salads get tiring after a while, but lettuce and spinach and that sort of thing are both low-carb and bulky. I've found, and YMMV of course, that eating very flavorful things means I reach satiety sooner. Might help you. And, of course, protein is the most filling nutrient, and fiber's filling as well, so try to make sure all your snacks have both protein & fiber. And make it a point to learn your body's hunger/full signals now, when you don't have to worry so much about weight, and you'll have a leg up when it comes time to lose the pregnancy weight.
  #65   ^
Old Tue, Jan-10-06, 13:11

i tried all of that with my last pregnancy no go. I gain the weight after my babies not during the pregnancy. So that is the problem I face. so my weight gain is with nursing. I dont' think I made that very clear.
The problem is I very rarely feel full. I"m trying to drink lots of water, bu that is about it.
I'm 11 weeks postpartum, and I have gained about 10lbs.
YUCK
Tanya
  #66   ^
Old Tue, Jan-10-06, 13:34

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 205/140/130 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Default tigersue

That sounds like me too. I am almost 11 weeks postpartum and it seems like I am gaining while nursing also. Are you LCing? Everyone keeps telling me that right now, nursing is more important, but I feel so disgusted with myself because of the extra weight.
  #67   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-06, 06:24
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Tanya, I was the exact same way......gained some weight with my first pregnancy, but I really got big the year after, during nursing. With kid #1 I got to my highest weight of 220. This time around, my original focus was just not to gain......and losing would be nice. While my weight loss has been slow, at least it's been loss and not gain.

Watching the carbs, and exercise (including weight training) is what made the difference for me, because I definitely had a hard time keeping calories reasonable.
  #68   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-06, 06:28
muscle bound

Quote:
Breastfeeding and exercising and eating well will help take it right off.
I wish! I think this is one of those myths out there......I suspect some women either are more sensitive to the effects of prolactin, or produce more of it for a longer time, or something! This time around I bought into that myth, and got really upset for awhile there that I was doing everything "right" and the weight still wasn't melting off. I realize now, through sharing experiences with others online, that it's not just me. <sigh>

And yet, I'm trying to conceive right now. I'm a glutton for punishment, eh?
  #69   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-06, 10:53

Plan: Stillman & Atkins
Stats: 211/173/145 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 58%

Its such a battle for all of us to lose weight. Even though I've lost quite a bit, its been hell shedding it... Good luck to everyone.
  #70   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-06, 17:05

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 198/136/127 Female 174cm
BF:42%/19%/10%

I just wanted to say to u all, good luck with your weight loss journey. Keep at it, it will happen I am still bf my 8 month old son. Started LC when he was 3 months old. I must be lucky as it hasnt affected my supply and my weight loss has been good too. I dont get time to do much exercise though, this is an area i am trying to fix, but I find it so hard with a 3yr old, 2 yr old and 8 month old at home.
  #71   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-06, 02:02
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

Hey! Just checking in. I have to admit I certainly have not lost weight since the initial first few weeks whoosh of water etc. buuuuuut I still don't know if it's my fault or hormone's fault, I think it's mine. My baby eats a LOT and I'm producing a lot of milk...but I am so so hungry, all the time. No matter how much I eat I am never satiated and despite the best of intentions I tend to graze all day long in between eating very large portions for meals. The last 3 days Björn (he sleeps with me) has been letting me have a (comparatively) reasonable amount of sleep and I think that will be a big help in regulating my eating. I have a history of tiredness (among other things) as a trigger for overeating and bingeing. Am feeling awesome this morning...hoping this sleep thing is a trend! The 3 hour a night thing was getting old.
Does anyone who bfeeds eat peanut butter? I've ben avoiding it but don't want to.
  #72   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-06, 02:08
muscle bound

Meg, I eat PB, and am still nursing. However, I make my own, and I don't eat alot of it on a regular basis.....but only because I could take it or leave it. Now as far as the kids go, I don't let them eat peanuts until age 3, as per the "potential allergy" guidelines.
  #73   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-06, 14:03

Plan: Atkins-SCD
Stats: 125/99.5/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 170%

Hi Lisa (dane)!

I'm also a breastfeeding lowcarber Mom. I live near Washington D.C. but I'm from a city near Budapest!!!! I married an American... :-) I have a 2-year-old girl and a 6-month old girl.
Just wanted to say hi, I'm gonna try to follow this thread a little bit.... will be back soon!

Edina
  #74   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-06, 15:01

Plan: Atkins-SCD
Stats: 125/99.5/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 170%

Ok, here's my experience.
After having my first baby, I lost all the pregnancy weight in 6 months. I was down to 107. I'm only 5'2'' though. I was eating normal, had my occasional desserts, so I don't know why I lost it all so quickly without diet and exercise (except for walks). During my secong pregnancy I gained about 25 pounds and I thought I will lose it in no time again. Boy I was wrong. Every pregnany and child is different. I was gaining more on top of that during my first few weeks. Of course the doughnut binges didn't help either... Anyway. I started the LC diet about 3 weeks ago. Not because I wanted to lsoe weight but because I just wanted to be healthy. I've done a lot of research and I am now convinced that LC is the way. I'm also hoping to get rid of my eczema which I think is food intolerance-related. Anyway. the forst week I did it all wrong. I lost way too much weight and was starving the whole time and my milk supply diminished. My poor baby was so frustrated for not getting enough milk. I cut out all sugar and most carbs. i thought some cereals were Ok and some milk or nut milks. Wrong. I ate too many vegetables and not much meat and not enough fat. I felt horrible, headaches, leg pains and fatigue. I learned that I need fat! I started using coconut oil, a lot of butter and lard and fat meat. I cut out all grains. Too much protein is not good either, so eating only chicken breast is not a good choice. I take fish oil supplements on top of the prenatal vitamins. I feel so much better, I'm not hungry all the time. I haven't gained any weight back. I don't have time to exercise... I just take the kids for a walk when it's nice outside.
My milk supply is back to normal. I was also concerned about the toxins going into the milk... I'm still not sure about this issue but as someone previously mentioned, if I eat the right stuff and the right kind of fat (butter, animal fats, coconut oil avocados), the baby should be healthy as an ox.
Somebody made a reference to Eskimos. Yepp, it seems like fatty meat is a good choice....I'm sure underneath those heavy fur buntings they had slim bodies. Maybe.
So how is everybody doing?
  #75   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-06, 05:51
muscle bound

Hi Edina!

Good post. I married a Hungarian, lol. LC'ing is pretty easy here.....fatty meat and lard, etc. are easy to come by,