Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Feb-17-05, 05:23

Plan: dr. phil
Stats: 180/140/125 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

thanks. I only drink 2 litres a day...when do find time for 4?!! awesome.
again, thanks for the advice.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Fri, Feb-18-05, 04:52
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 195/158/145 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I think if you make a point of drinking more water, you'll notice the difference.
I have a big glass of water when I get up (before breakfast) and then I sip all day to lunch, which keeps my hunger under control. I drink about a litre every time I exercise and then I just keep it on hand for the rest of the day. I really love coffee but I try to limit myself to one with the mentality that water will do so much more for me and the caffeine isn't really worth it in comparison.

Good luck!
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-05, 18:52

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 440.0/421.0/200.0 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 8%

I have a few Pilates DVDs and am wondering if it's going to really help me shed some pounds - or if I should mix the Pilates with some other type of workout? Advice anyone?
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-05, 21:19

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 200/199/130 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF: A lot!
Progress: 1%

I interchange it with my glider. I FEEL more results that way. Wheni 1st started working out and could not take the endurance of the glider i would just do pilates to get the energy and stability i needed to get on the glider. I also have a problem with my hip so that is why i had to take it easy when I started working out again.
Cocoa--hope this was helpful
  #50   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-05, 19:23

BF:
Progress:

Yes, you definately need to mix in cardio with your pilates or you won't get the best results. I read that doing pilates 3x/week, cardio5x/week, and strenth training 2x/week is ideal. cardio should be 30-60 minutes each time. or even just the cardio then pilates every day is great too.
Good Luck!
  #51   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-05, 15:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 219/205.4/125 Female 63
BF:38/36/22
Progress: 14%

I have to get back into my Pilates. I haven't been doing them because I've been focusing A LOT on cardio and strength training. I just developed my own program for myself, gleaned from the best strength training moves & optimal amounts of cardio. I aim for 5 days a week of cardio, with alternating days of weights & floor exercises. I think on the other 2 days that I'm resting I'm going to do Pilates. I really want to get back into my Pilates, but being that my workouts are already an hour long between cardio & weight lifting, adding another 20 or 40 minutes isn't going to be beneficial OR doable for me.
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Mar-10-05, 21:14

Plan: low fat/low cal
Stats: 135/134/115 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by toni marie
I have a few Pilates DVDs and am wondering if it's going to really help me shed some pounds - or if I should mix the Pilates with some other type of workout? Advice anyone?

hey) here is some advice that i had recieved because i wanted to shed some lbs too doing pilates. Pilates is a strenthening and toning routine. if you really want to shed lbs.. do some kind of cardio workout as well. I do 30 minute arobic high impact routine before i do my 30 minute pilates routine. it is nice because after you are done sweating from the cardio, you get to relax with the pilates. Since i added cardio in before my pilates workout i have seen a decrease of my love handles!!!!!! the hardest things to lose! so go ro it! its sooo worth it!
  #53   ^
Old Fri, Mar-18-05, 22:26

BF:

Can I get some suggestions on the cardio workouts? I don't go to a gym because I have no time... so some workouts at home will have to do. Thanks!!!
  #54   ^
Old Sun, Mar-20-05, 11:02

Plan: low fat/low cal
Stats: 135/134/115 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by toni marie
Can I get some suggestions on the cardio workouts? I don't go to a gym because I have no time... so some workouts at home will have to do. Thanks!!!

Do you have digital cable with On Demand? if you do, you can go into a fitness menu and they have videos. otherwise, if you go to circut city or best buy or even Walmart, they have great workout videos. get the ones that say fat burning on them. k? talk to you soon! bye
  #55   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-05, 16:46

BF:
Progress:
Default at home workouts-cardio

I do Kathy Smith timesaver cardio workout video. it is in 2 20 minute segments and it is awesome. It worked for me. she has a few cardio videos but this one is the best especially if you are tight for time.
hope this is useful.
  #56   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-05, 18:01

BF:

I just joined a gym - so I'm getting plenty of workout there. We'll see.
  #57   ^
Old Sat, Mar-26-05, 07:52

Stats: 235/195/135 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 40%

Hi girls!

I just got the winsor pilates videos. I was so excited I think I overextended myself. I am very glad this thread is here. I have been VERY sedentary for many years and this is my first effort to really exorcise. I felt very awkward doing pilates because I have a lot of fat in the way nd I am so out of shape I don't stretch uch at all. I did mostly the version for people who can't do the regular. There is a LOT I an't do, but I did my best and I feel it. I really hope this helps me. I also have a Gazelle that has been collecting dust but I also used that for about 5 minutes today. I know that isn't much, but I get so out of breath. So If I continue doing these things, how long do you think it will take for me to see improvements? My wolf mate also has weights around here somewhere. I have no idea where to even tart doing that! When I was a teenager, I used to go with my father to the gym and lift weights ad ue the machines. But that was so long ago..

Ayway, I hope you are all still hanginf out here. I am on my knees begging for support. I really need to do this for my health. But I have the lazy gene and it is hard to keep anything physicle up. But I really am ging to try! I really feel my fat getting in the way though...

Freya
  #58   ^
Old Sat, Mar-26-05, 11:54

Stats: 219/205.4/125 Female 63
BF:38/36/22
Progress: 14%

Hi Freya. I have never worked out in my life, in fact I've always been anti-exercise! I hated it all my life, in fact! When I finally decided to start working out for my health, I started with the Winsor Pilates. Don't get discouraged that you can't do the moves with the regular people on the DVD yet, you will get there! It just takes time! And trust me, if you keep it up with that series, you WILL see results! When I first started working out, I did the Winsor series and after 3 weeks I started noticing results! (Doing it 3 times per week.) It really WORKS!
Also, you only did 5 minutes on your Gazelle. So what?!?! At least you got on it and did some! That's the way you start! You don't want to start out too intense anyway, because that can be very discouraging for a new exerciser! Start out with whatever you can do and work your way up! If you do the Gazelle for 5 minutes a day, 5 days a week, the next week, add a few minutes more onto your time. Eventually the weeks will be flying by and you'll be doing 20, even 30 minutes with no problem! I could barely do 20 minutes when I first started on the Gazelle and now I can do 35 minutes with no problem! I've gone from doing Pilates 3 days a week to 5 days of the Gazelle at 35 minutes a pop and 2 to 3 days of weight training. It takes time but you WILL get there!
Start slow and work your way up. And think of it this way: If you weren't doing that 5 minutes on your Gazelle, what WOULD you have been doing? Sitting on the couch? Think about that! Good luck, and we're here for you whenever you need us!
  #59   ^
Old Sat, Mar-26-05, 12:49

Plan: My own lactovegetarian
Stats: 130/110/112 Female 63 inches
BF:24.5%
Progress: 111%

I was so glad to see this thread. I am subscribed to the Pilates Challenge thread and didn't know this one existed. I use the Winsor Pilates tapes the 20 min and the accelerated workout (about 53 min of actual exercise) In addition I have a gazelle and use that 30-40 min at a time. I will not lie and say I exercise every day. I'm lazy and neglect it sometimes. Before I know it a week has gone by! Today I bought a Leslie Sansone Video "Walk Away the Pounds - walk and kick". It was pretty good, about a 30 min workout - all in an upright position. Best of luck to all of you and I will be dropping in.
  #60   ^
Old Sat, Mar-26-05, 20:08

Stats: 235/195/135 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 40%

oh WOW!
This is so great! 2 of you also use the gazelle! Knowing there are others trying out the same things as me, makes me feel more motivated

I bought the Gazelle a few years ago, and only used it 5 times before the lazy gene kicked in again. But I really need to get my body moving now. I also am getting my hands on Carmen Electra's Aerobic Striptease tomorrow. It sounds kind of fun!

I really felt the pilates and will continue to use it even if it takes awhile to get better at it. Trying to stretch this way shows how much I need it. Thank you guys for the support. You are wonderful!