Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Would I Make A Free Call for Future Access to Liquid Splenda?
Yes, Right Away! 413 79.27%
As Soon As I Can... 67 12.86%
Maybe Next Week... 27 5.18%
Absolutely Not! 14 2.69%
Voters: 521. You may not vote on this poll

#61   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-02, 13:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Low Glycemic
Stats: 203/199/125
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default Hello!

Hello Kathy and Wate!

Welcome!!!!

Agave nectar/syrup:
(From the label)
"25% sweeter than sugar so you can use less and save on calories. Glycemic index very low.
1 serving Blue Agave Nectar = A free food (less than 20 calories or 5gr Carb)"
Distributed by the Original Beverage Corp., Malibu, California (310)838-9431

DiabetiSweet:
Serving Size: 1 tsp.
Calories: 8.9
Total Fat: 0g
Sodium: 0mg
Total Carbohydrate: 4.4 g
Alcohol Sugar: 4.4 g
Protein: 0g

Ingredients: Isomalt, Acesulfame-K
(From the Sugar and Sweeteners Report, both low glycemic.)

This stuff looks like sugar and tastes like sugar! Haven't read the report on Ace-K yet, let you guys know what I find out.

Misuzu
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-02, 21:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/180/140
BF:
Progress: 11%

I will call first thing Monday Morning. I did e-mail Splenda last week and got a wishy-washy reply about liquid Splenda. I did not know they had brown sugar Splenda but I am interested in that too.
I go to Montral a lot and will check their shelves.....
I love the regular Splenda and everyone in my family uses it.
Together we can move moutains... or to paraphrase... Splenda Co. and the US laws....
  #63   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 10:50
Registered Member

Stats: 238/190/155 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 58%
Question S&H and Border Fees

Hi Island Girl,
Thanks for all your calculations. I contacted Splenda as well. We have to think like a marketing manager and show that there is demand and help them to have the resources to pitch the new product at meetings. Remember that there is competition inside the company as well as out. Each product manager is competing with another for company resources. Don't assume there is not interest, just lack of ammo. Who knows who or what you/we are up against.

My question is on the bulk Splenda you had a link for. I am unfamiliar with ordering across the border. Are there a lot of hidden costs?

Thanks, Colin
  #64   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 11:11

Plan: Sugar Busters
Stats: 120/115/105
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default chnklberri

chnklberri-- Thanks for the welcome. I'm mostly lurking so far but am learning a lot from the wisdom of the people here. I don't have a lot of weight to lose, but with a history of diabetes in my family, low carbing seems to be a good route to staying out of trouble on that front as well as a sensible way to lose weight.

I have been trying to find agave. I read some where (maybe the sugar busters forum) that it is getting extremely hard to find becuase the growers can get better prices selling it to the tequila makers. It is not being sold in any of my local health food stores. I'm going to call the supplier you listed. Thanks!

On the other hand I got pure powdered sucralose--no added ingredients--from Best Body Products. One teaspoon of it is equivalent to about 3 cups of sugar, so to make measuring easier, I mixed a teaspoonful with a cup and a half of water to use to sweeten my coffee and tea. I haven't tryed it in any recipes yet because I only got it yesterday.
  #65   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 14:12
Registered Member

BF:
Thumbs up Great Idea!

Hi Wate!

I got my 100% sucralose in the mail the other day... What a great idea.... I haven't done anything with it either. I will mix my own liquid Splenda. Thanks for the tip!

I purchased 3 great books using Splenda as an ingredient. They are:

Slendid Low Carbing
Splendid Desserts
More Splendid Desserts

I haven't tried any recipes but they look easy to prepare and DELICIOUS!!!! All 3 books are paperback and have excellent color pictures. I purchased them from www.sweety.com The authors name is Jennifer Eloff.

Take care and happy low carbing!

Misuzu
  #66   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 16:54

Plan: somersizing
Stats: 150/145/120
BF:
Progress: 17%
Question 100% sucralose

Could anyone tell me where you ordered this from, I would be so grateful, I cannot have maltodextrin so this would be a blessing!

thank you, Liz
  #67   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 17:20
Registered Member

BF:
Default address

Hi Liz!

I purchased mine from Best Body Products. The telephone number is 858-751-2460. The email address is bestbody~myrealbox.com

They have a website as well. I don't have it handy at the moment. I'm sure if you email them they can give you the web address as well.

Misuzu
  #68   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 09:53

Plan: Sugar Busters
Stats: 120/115/105
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Best Body web address

The web address for Best Body Products is http://home.nethere.net/smilodon/bbs/sucralose.htm

I ordered from them and found them to be helpful and the delivery was fairly quick.
  #69   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-02, 10:30

Stats: 240/205/145 Female 5' 9-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 37%
Well, I called McNeill, the makers of Splenda, to ask about liquid Splenda. The person I talked to said that it is only available to consumers in Australia or New Zealand. They do sell a highly concentrated liquid to large food processors here, but it is 600 times sweeter than sugar and she said it just wouldn't work in small recipes. They even encourage small bakeries and small food processors to use the granular version for that reason.

I did stress that, there would probably be a good market for the less concentrated liquid here, but who knows when or if they'll make it.

In the meanwhile I am going to try the liquid sucralose from Best Body Supplements. Anything I can do to reduce the carbs in desserts and sweet recipes is a good thing.

Karla
  #70   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-02, 11:02
Registered Member

Stats: 238/190/155 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 58%
Lightbulb reply from McNeil

Here is the reply I got From McNeil.

SPLENDA* in liquid form is not currently available in any country as the cost is prohibitive to most consumers. As you may know, sucralose is 600 times sweeter than sugar. SPLENDA* Granular is diluted with maltodextrin so that it is more convenient to use in a home kitchen environment. Although SPLENDA* Granular is not carbohydrate-free, it contains only 0.494 g per tsp. Should you require more information on acceptable dietary levels of carbohydrates, please consult your dietician or nutritionist. Please be assured that your comments have been transmitted to the appropriate personnel in our Marketing Department for review.
  #71   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-02, 23:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Colin, to answer your question (better late than never) , if you opt for Ground Shipping, e.g., UPS, you will run into surprising brokerage/border fees from the courier company. They often forget to mention this, and the vending company doesn't often realize it (though they should). Always ask for Postal (reasonable) or Air shipping, and you MAY get a Customs person working in the Post Office (normal) randomly pulling your package, eyeing it, deciding it gets a GST bill and a $5 Customs "service" charge and sending it on to you. That's not TOO bad.

Everybody else talking about the pure sucralose from Best Body supplements in San Diego, it's NOT liquid, it's the pure powder, without any carriers (water OR maltodextrin) whatever. It's VERY concentrated. Making a liquid out of it is a good way to be able to handle it. I do that with white stevia extract as well (before you ask, 1 teaspoon white stevia extract to 3 tablespoons of filtered water, and then I put it in a dropper bottle). I recommend, especially for you newbies here, that you read this whole conversational thread because every question you've asked here in the last couple of days has already been answered!
  #72   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 14:27
Registered Member

Stats: 245.0/211.5/130.0
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default HELP!!!! Link to Best Body Products gone

I got all excited about ordering conc. high intensity sucralose, but when I clicked on the hypertext for the Best Body Products company I get a "the page is missing or does not exist" HELP!

Thanks, fleadogs
  #73   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 13:32

Stats: 240/205/145 Female 5' 9-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 37%
I received my pure sucralose from Best Body Supplements yesterday, and today I made an Almond Flour Poundcake from the lowcarbluxury site.

First I put the sucralose in a glass jar, but some stuck to the sides of the plastic bag in which it was packed. So I poured water in the bag, then poured that into another small jar and kept adding water until it tasted like something I might put in my coffee.

For the cake I creamed the butter, added the eggs and the flavorings, then mixed the baking powder and the sucralose with the almond flour before mixing that with the butter and eggs.

After reading here that 1 tsp of sucralose is equal to 3 cups of sugar, I replaced the cup of Splenda called for in the recipe with 3/8 tsp. of the sucralose.

Well, of course I couldn't even wait for the cake to cool before I tried it, so I can report that it is delicious! It's sweet enough but not too sweet. And by my calculations, if you cut the cake into 12 pieces (it's baked in a 9-inch cake pan) it has about 3 grams of carbs each, since the entire cake has 35 grams.

That's low enough to slap on a few sliced strawberries and some whipped cream and call it strawberry shortcake!

Since I don't know how far and ounce of sucralose will go, I am keeping a log of how much I use; when it's gone I can do a cost comparison with Splenda. Comparing the cost to that of sugar would be too stressful; this WOL is healthy, but not necessarily cheap!

Karla
  #74   ^
Old Fri, Mar-29-02, 05:53
Pending Member

Stats: 215/145/120
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Cake sounds wonderful

Hi Karla, your cake sounds wonderful and the carb count WOW!! I love this way of life.
Donna
  #75   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 19:16

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 170/158/145
BF:
Progress: 48%
Talking Liquid Splenda ... Look Out, Erythritol is on the Way!

I, too, have called Splenda and gotten both mixed information and total avoidance to direct questions. I have also e-mailed twice full letters requesting explanation, and received precious little in return. So, what to do? LET SPLENDA KNOW that we all nokw erythritol is coming out soon, is already available to large commercial producers, and is better than, and in combination with, makes Splenda BETTER than it is without erythritol. It is absolutely amazing! It is the most-like-sugar product I've ever sampled, and truly has no after taste. Experimenting with 4 willing volunteers on my day job, not one of them could determine that it was an AS.
So, take heart and be patient, but in the meantime, LET'S LET SPLENDA KNOW WE WILL DROP THEM THE MOMENT ANOTHER ALTERNATIVE IS AVAILABLE IF THEY DON'T START TREATING US BETTER!
Anyway, that's my feeling on the subject.

Splenda dejected and rejected in DC,
j