Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Tue, Nov-09-04, 12:18
Thank You Dr. Atkins

Plan: Atkinsmyway/Carb Cycling
Stats: 185/135/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 100%

Ohhhh, that makes sense Apk.

Yeah, one of the nice things about this program is that you can adjust it to your schedule. I always try to plan carb up for social occasions. It makes it much nicer.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Tue, Nov-09-04, 12:30

Plan: low- to medium-carb
Stats: 114/105/105 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:

potomacnan, hi! And congratulations on working so hard for results--they're really worth it when they come at last~

About the ketostix, the ones I have start out with a light pink tip, before I do anything to them--if I'm in any kind of ketosis at all, they'll turn from that pink to a mauve color (showing very slight ketotis) and from there deepen across a variety of shades. As I posted, I've never seen a change, ever.
  #63   ^
Old Tue, Nov-09-04, 12:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/175/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the menus and the tips! Tell me, did any of you feel just plain GUILTY to be eating more carbs? Also, I noticed a lot of folks were feeling very FULL when doing carb up. Should I still try to force the food down if I'm truly not hungry?
  #64   ^
Old Tue, Nov-09-04, 13:14

Stats: 190/175/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:
Default Menu

Since I don't have a clue how to work Fitday, I thought I might post my menus, and get some feedback from you guys?

Carb Down:
B: hard boiled egg and two mozzarella cheese sticks (I am REALLY not a breakfast person).
S: One ounce almonds

L: Two cups mixed salad greens with red pepper and cucmber, plus one 3 oz can of tuna with 3T full fat ranch dressing (I tried less, but just couldn't eat it).

D: 4 OZ meat-chicken, pork chop, steak, roast, whatever. 1 cup of vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, green beans), with a bit of soy sauce and Smart Balance spread.

Sometimes I'll have a glass of dry red wine as well
Sugar free Jello.

Carb Up:
The same, plus 1 cup 1% cottage cheese, 1/2 cup strawberries, 1/2 cup long grain brown rice, a bit of carrot in my salad (1/4 cup). Dinner gets 2 extra ounces of meat, and an extra cup of veges.
Wine may be included here, too.
SF Jello is a staple-always.

Any feedback? Suggestions? I have literally not counted a single calorie since I started Atkins, so this is all new to me. Carb Down begins tomorrow. I hope I'm not starving!
  #65   ^
Old Tue, Nov-09-04, 13:38
wrkn off da baby fat

Stats: 242.5/242.5/160 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default How much protein is needed per day

I remember folx asking how much protein is needed daily. Here's the link to figure out your daily requirement.
How much protein do I need?
  #66   ^
Old Tue, Nov-09-04, 13:47
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicemae
L: Two cups mixed salad greens with red pepper and cucmber, plus one 3 oz can of tuna with 3T full fat ranch dressing (I tried less, but just couldn't eat it).

It seems so spartan! Of course, I'm not exactly a poster child for weight loss so don't listen to me.

I think 2 cups of salad greens is what I end up picking out of my teeth after I've eaten one of my salads. I usually have... hmm... 4 or more cups. I think the carbs and calories are pretty much nil in salad greens.
  #67   ^
Old Tue, Nov-09-04, 17:32

Plan: low carb
Stats: 200/000/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks for all the good advice everyone. My carb up day was VERY UP fitday says 2380 cals/63 net carbs/59% fat and 4300 mg sodium -- oops. But still I had a significant calorie deficit yesterday as it was a good exercise day with several sessions. I don't have a clue if that is a lot of sodium but I was chowing on salty foods. I have not been able to do my normal water consumption today since I was out all day so I don't expect to see the scale drop tomorrow. I like your theory Sona and will bravely continue on. Only about 1000 cals and 20 carbs so far today so dinner can be creative. Thanks for the pep talk all.
  #68   ^
Old Tue, Nov-09-04, 17:55

Plan: Carb-cycling
Stats: 175/165/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:BMI = 31%
Progress: 18%

Hi Ladies!

Today is day 2 of carb-down "Banta" style, and I am down 1.5 pounds!! Still not virgin territory, but I was skeptical the higher fat would get me to lose. Now I can't wait to see what happens tomorrow!

Anita (oh, wise one!)- how's the new-found fame? WTG on the loss! Thank you for starting this thread. (Like you haven't heard that one before!)

APK - Cheer! Cheer! to you too. A loss is always welcome.

Sona - I agree with you. 113.5 is SO not 114.5. Besides, I always consider .5 to be water retention!

I don't think I will get my fats up to Banta levels today, although I will try. When you eat this much fat, you are just not hungry. Consequently, my protein ratio has gone down as well.

Energy Mood weight loss no cravings

What more can I say?
  #69   ^
Old Tue, Nov-09-04, 18:27

Plan: My Own
Stats: 191/166/155 Female 5'4"
BF:32%/25%/25%
Progress: 69%

I have been carb up/calorie up since Hurricane Frances in September. I actually worked hard at eating more and exercising more to get my metabolism really revved up. I really think it was very low as I hadn't been exercising for some time (health issues).

I weighted 162.4 at the beginning of October (bought a new scale which weights me 1.5# higher than the doctor's scale at my fitness center). Yesterday morning I was 160.0.

Yesterday I went calories down. I have been eating carbs but no sugar or refined gains. I want to continue with them. So I am eating less, cutting down on treats, and focusing on fruits and vegetables. Yesterday went well and it is now 7:30pm and today has gone well. I am considering a cup of decaf--black with liquid splenda and divinci syrup.

Today was super busy and tomorrow isn't going to be a lot better. I get tired and then I want to eat. However I am finding that the urge to eat only lasts about 5 minutes and then I move past it. I am actually going to try this for 14 days. I will let you know how it progresses.

Good luck to all. I haven't been able to keep up with the posts but will get back to read them when I can.
  #70   ^
Old Tue, Nov-09-04, 19:06

Plan: low- to medium-carb
Stats: 114/105/105 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:

Dana-- great post. Great that you're so happy (and unhungry )--I hope tomorrow is every bit as mind-bogglingly great as today!

Alsavato, good luck! Great that you weren't hungry on this day--I hope all carb down days are easy for you. When are you planning to weigh in? And what's your calculated cal/carb ratio on carb down? Congratulations also on a loss over a period of virtually continual carb up!

Nighty-night, all!
  #71   ^
Old Tue, Nov-09-04, 19:56
Registered Member

Plan: carb cycling
Stats: 22/12/8 Female 67 inches
BF:

Ran across a magazine with an article on carb cycling..... Lindora or Lean for Life.... Anyone hear of it?
Seems lower in fat. Compared to the Banta style plan ya'll are talking about that is higher fat. Has grain and a lot of fruit.
Just curious. Currently on day 3 carb down.
Would like input as to what is more effective.
  #72   ^
Old Tue, Nov-09-04, 22:07

Stats: 158/146.4/138 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Hello everyone, esp newcommers! We like all the perspectives we can get!

Well, I'm in the groove of doing long steady Down; very LC, moderate cals (20-25carbs/~1500cals) and after 10 days I'm down a total of 2.8 lbs! Nice 'n steady. I weigh every five days and my last two weigh ins I've lost exaclty the same amt: 1.4 lbs. This seems like a good sign to me saying that my metabolism is consistent and not slowing down. I think I'll keep going on Down 'till I lose less than 1lb in five days, that will show I'm due for a refeed. At that point I'll slowly increase my calories over a few days up to my official daily expenditure level (~2200) and hold there a couple days and then back to down. I'll be keeping my carbs low, just cal up. They may go up by about 5 carbs 'cause it would be hard to get balanced meals otherwise.

But anyway, for now I remain on Down.
  #73   ^
Old Wed, Nov-10-04, 06:48
Registered Member

Plan: carb cycling
Stats: 22/12/8 Female 67 inches
BF:

Good morning! Down a virgin pound this morning to 202. (carb up day 4) Did increase the fat yesterday. Keeping fingers crossed for tommorrow. Really would like to hit 199 before carbing up, but will take what I get.
  #74   ^
Old Wed, Nov-10-04, 06:54
Thank You Dr. Atkins

Default Carb Down Day 3

Good Morning Cyclers!

Pattilacy: Yep, Lean for Life was one of the programs I looked at when putting this together. As you say, it's much lower fat, and also VERY structured, very specific things to eat. I read the program over and decided that it was not for me, it would be just too hard to apply to real life. However, I did read with interest the metabolic adjustment phase which is built into the program. What we're doing here also is based somewhat on the Curves diet program, which also has a metabolic adjustment phase built in. I like the look of the Curves program and think it might be an excellent choice for some people. But I stall out/slow down much too easily and need to go lower on both cals and carbs to lose weight. Hence, this program.

Well - an excellent weigh in for me today, 144.2!!! That's just .4 above my lowest. I'm hoping to hit virgin territory tomorrow.

I'm not quite ready to give a final opinion on the "Banta" style carb down I'm trying. I haven't even gotten to 80% fat yet, BUT I have lost 2.5 pounds in the last two days, which is at a much faster clip than my last carb down. So far I'm very pleased. I will be continuing Banta type carb down today, and probably at least again tomorrow. If things continue to go well, I will probably extent this carb down for several days. We'll see...

How is everyone else this morning?
  #75   ^
Old Wed, Nov-10-04, 07:06
Thank You Dr. Atkins

Thumbs up

Pattylacy: You were posting while I was. You're doing great. You're almost to onederland!!!

Jamian: Sounds like you're really working this program to suit your life, and having great results. WTG!

Sona: Anxiously awaiting your report this moring!

asalvato: It's harder to do this with a very busy life. I admire your dedication. Please stop by and report whenever you can! Sounds like you are doing great!

amethyst1: What an uplifting post! Thanks. Sounds like you are really enjoying this. Yep, I couldn't get my fat up to Banta like levels either, but I'm still very pleased with my results. You are down 1.5!! WTG!!

alicemae: Again, welcome. Your menu looks good to me. You might want to try eating more often. Same amount of food, but spread out over 5-6 meals. It's suppose to help keep insulin levels stable. Fitday isn't hard to figure out, just go play for awhile. If I can do it, just about anybody can. I have wine on carb up, but try to stay away from it on carb down because it messes up the percentages. But, YMMV! No, I wouldn't force food if you're truly not hungry. But, usually I am hungrier on carb up than carb down. And, Yes, when I started this I did feel a little guilty on carb up. But, it's fun, and it works!