Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-17-04, 13:23

Plan: Somersize
Stats: 291.5/259/135 Female 66 inches
BF:off the scale
Progress: 21%
Default Excercise Buddy!!!

Hi,

I am probably looking for a miracle. But, I am wondering if anyone would be interested in pairing up with me to encourage each other and hold each other accountable to excercise daily, even if it's just a few yards further than our normal routine.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 20:27

Plan: Drs Bernskins
Stats: 260/232.4/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:lots
Progress: 28%

hey Michelle,
Replied in your journal but pick me!!!
Hugs,
Nancy
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 07:58

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 168/163/128 Female 5'1.5''
BF:44%/44%/22-28%
Progress: 13%

Hi, were you looking out for only one buddy or is there room for one more?

I do a lot better exercise wise when I have a buddy. If I don’t, I always use the excuse that I am too tired to exercise…I guess you heard that one before…

I usually do some Pilates and I recently bought a belly dancing videotape. Anything that will make me move without making me worst!

I whish a nice day to the both of you!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 09:55

Nancy and CalicoCat, I think we can ALL do this together. We should try to keep this thread the meeting place to tally our progress.

CalicoCat, you said
Quote:
Anything that will make me move without making me worst!
Are you ill? Moondanzr (Nancy) and I both have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia for a very long time now. Excercise is a mountain of a strain for us. Is your circumstance similar? Not being nosey, it will help though in us support you in the right way.

OK girls, here goes it.

Today it is the perfect day to walk!!! A little chilly but clothes will fix that. LOL!!!

Will walk by 2:00PM PROMISE! Only 1 mile though! Also, today I promise to fix my toning cord video by retaping it into 2 different sessions which is more my level at this point!

So, welcome and lets get these hardbodies out of thier hideaways and into the light!!!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 12:41

Hi Jimsbride,

Yes, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia last month. I am sure that I have been suffering of it for at least 16 years but my doctor only had her light bulb moment about it recently! I am so glad that all those tests always coming negatives are over with! I am glad that when people asks me why I don’t feel well or why I can’t do this or that, I can answer something instead of “nobody knows”. I know there is no cure for it, but now, I can do the best with what I have. I have been told that I am one of the lucky ones: I can sleep! I do feel very lucky about it, I know how bad I get when I don’t have enough sleep.

Working out is now a priority in my life, and I must admit that it is making me feel better. Not at first, I fell worst for about a week when I changed from summer exercises to winter exercises but these days, I am feeling better, as long as I keep stress at bay.

Workout is done for today, I did 22 minutes of Pilates.

Is it sunny in Southern Pennsylvania today? It has been so grey all week long around here! What am I complaining about, autumn is my favourite season!

What about you Nancy, are you exercising today?

P.S. Please pardon the many mistakes I will make writing in English. It is not my first language. Feel free to correct me anytime.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 13:07

Default I Did It!!!

CalicoCat,

Wow! All three of us with FMS. Well, the knowlege base here should be very good and extremely informative. I am sorry to hear that you went through 16 years of negs. I only went through about 1. That was in the year 2000. But, to be real, I sometimes still doubt it. I have other symptoms that are so whacky and not found in a FMS book.

Yes, in S. Pennsylvania it is beautiful today. And guess what? I went for my first walk in months!!! YEAH!!! I could not do a mile though because my upper leg muscles felt like they was tearing. So, I stopped. I probably got in a little over 1/2 of a mile. That is good news for me.

Trying to suck down as much water as I can today. I need to flush out all of the sugar I absorbed in the 2 day binge. Man, I NEVER want to do that again. Tomorrow I am going to check for Ketosis.

I am glad you now at least know what is wrong. What is pilates? If you ever find a good site of do's and don'ts for FMS, please let me know. I want to start looking into more info. With winter coming, the pain goes up for me. Stress is an instant trigger for my whole system to go out of whack! Pain and fatique that is.

Well, that's enough! Glad you did your excercise. Now nancy has to check in.

I thought maybe a good idea would be for every morning we get on and post our plans of excercise for the day. (For me it will help to set a time limit as well, like by a certain time) (I procrastinate!). And then as the day goes, we check in to be accountable to each other on whether we did it or not. What do you think?
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-28-04, 08:18

bumping this up
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-28-04, 08:27

Good morning Jimsbride and Nancy!

My plan for today is the 20 minutes of Pilates and the neck stretching. I didn’t stretch yesterday and I don’t want to forget about it today too.

It is a beautiful sunny day here. I wish the lump under my feet was not hurting, I would go outside and have a nice walk. I don’t know…maybe I will… The lump doesn’t hurt when I walk on it with my walking shoes but the last time I walk on it when it was hurting, the next day, it was really bad. I just don’t know what to do about it. I will have to tell the doctor about it, have a zillion tests done, what a hassle!

Jimsbride, you did well walking ½ mile yesterday!
I am sure that you know there is no point in going for a mile on the first day and then being too sick to go out of the bed the next day. I hope you are feeling well today.

What are Pilates? Exercises! I think they are called Pilates from the name of the man who developed the method. It is very popular these day and if you google it on the net, you will have plenty of sites to visit. To me, it looks like some kind of active yoga.

I started it a couple of years ago because both my knees and both my elbows were in too much pain for me to walk or swim. I really wanted to do some kind of workout so I bought several tapes of Pilates and on each ones, learned a couple of moves that I could do in my conditions. The result gave me a 20 minutes routine working mainly my abs but also some arms and legs muscles. It was a lifesaver for me!

I will be back later (or tomorrow morning) to tell you about how my day went.

Have a nice day and exercise moderately!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-28-04, 12:23

Pilates are done for today.

What about you, Jimsbride and Nancy? Please don't leave me here alone!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-28-04, 16:33

CalicoCat,

I am proud of you. Sorry for not posting my plans this morning. I do want to do that faithfully. So glad to see that you did!

You really have me interested in pilates. I am going to research that. Everyone is telling me to do yoga. Maybe pilates is what I need if it is close. Do you know of any sites with it?

What is the lump on your foot? My goodness, that sounds terribly painful and annoying!!!

So proud of you for 2 days of excercising! You are way ahead of me, I am sure you have been at it longer than 2 days.

As for me, I walked again today. 2 days in a row! And I went a little over a mile today. YEAH!!!!

Later in the day after being very busy on my feet, my muscle in upper left leg felt tore again. This is not a common symptom, but pain levels have been pretty high for quite a few days now. All over body that is. Not sure why. Might be between weather and stress. Oh well!!! It could be worse!!

We are doing good. Hope to see you tomorrow!!!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Oct-29-04, 07:50

Talking Here I am

Hi jim'sbride and calicocat

So excited to have exercise bud's and especially those who know what it is like for folks that have FMS!

My exercise regime consists of a few pilates type exercises for all of my bod except my arms, for my arms I am currently using light weights and working at present on my triceps and biceps. My "cardio" consists of using a pedometer and slowly building up steps. My goal is 10,000 but not even half way there yet. Also am a 4 + year student of Svaroopa yoga. My amount of exercise depends on the day and level of pain but I do the best I can. Baby steps!

Calicocat! I would love to do belly dancing!!! None offered around here that I can find...do you work out to a video that shows you the moves or are you in a class? I think belly dancing would be great and fun cardio!

Anyway, I will post and catch you ladies up on my last few days of exercise.

10/22/04 4 pilate abd exercise, 3 tricep exercises 1 set of 8 reps each with a 1 lb weight, 2 bicep exercise 1 set of 8 reps each.
Steps=3,336=1.263 mi.=195.1 cal

10/23/04 10 pilate exercises for lower bod
steps=3,697=1.4 mi=211.6 cal

10/24/04 90 min yoga class
steps=4,291=1.625 mi=245.6 cal

10/25/04 upper body lifting. Did 3 sets of decreasing reps each..12..10..8
with 3 lb, 2lb and 1 lb weight respectively
steps=5,333=2.020 mi=305.2 cal

10/27/04 steps=2,982=1.29 mi=170.6 cal

10/28/04 steps=3,002=1.137 mi=171.8 cal did abd pilate exercise (increased reps from 8 to 12)

10/29/04 Todays goal is to walk 3,600 steps or more...in the past few days I have exceeded my goal or not reached it
Also would like to do upper body exercise...depends on pain level which was high this AM. If not able to do the lifting will do a home yoga practice.
Hope you ladies have a great day!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Oct-29-04, 08:42

Default Day 4 Round 2

Hello Nancy and CalicoCat,

Day three here and it is raining! Yikes!!! So, I am going to have to do something different.

I will do 1/2 of cord toning video. Don't know how long it will take, this will be first time for doing only 1/2. Can't promise a time when they will be done by cause dh is here and I have to do them privately. LOL

But that is my goal for today!

Glad you are in Nancy!!!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Oct-29-04, 14:06

Hello Jimsbride and Nancy!

My Pilates are done for today.

Nancy, I bought a belly dancing videotape at my local Blockbuster. I was getting bored with Pilates everyday! I only tried it twice; about 12 minutes each time to make sure I would not over do it. Then the thing under my feet flared up and I can’t dance anymore. But I miss it, it was fun!

Jimsbride,

Quote:
What is the lump on your foot?

I have no idea. I saw a couple of doctors about it two years ago. They all have a different theory about it! Eventually, it stopped hurting so I just lived with it. Now that it is hurting again, I will have to go through some tests…I guess… That is, if my doctor stop cancelling my appointments but that is another story!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Oct-29-04, 17:34

Hi ladies,
I did my arm lifting exercises...not finished yet with my step counting as wait until bed to tally the steps...I am greedy...I want every step I take! But I am happy to announce that I have exceeded my goal of 3,600..will report the amount tomorrow!
Hugs to both of you,
Nancy
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Oct-29-04, 19:58

Default Bad Bad Day!!!

I am bad today. Sorry girls!

Extremely sick. Please see my journal for details. I can't type anymore tonight.

Tomorrow will be better, I am sure of it!!

Lots of hugs,
Jimsbride