Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 11:24

Plan: Currently on PSMF cycle
Stats: 198/157/150 Female 5'9"
BF:? No thank U !!
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mle_ii
Usually on a hard leg day I find rolling or falling down the stairs to be the easiest way to get down... ;-)

Heck, maby we should invest in one of those hydrolic seats to be installed for use on leg day!! One can dream....
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 11:28
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

You could try doing them twice a week if you like - but make sure you give them a few days in between to recover.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 11:36

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%

LOL
Now I know why they invented escalators!

Jag
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 11:41

Plan: syndromeX
Stats: 231/220/150 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 14%

I have a question.....I have knee problems - nothing serious but was in an accident years ago and have some knee pain. I've found that if I use an exercise ball to help with the squats they don't hurt as they do without. I still feel it in my quads though so I figure this is okay.

My question is about lunges - If i do them using the stairs, will they work the same muscles as doing regular lunges? And are there any exercises that use the same muscles but not so hard on the knees?

Thanks for any help!
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 11:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built
You could try doing them twice a week if you like - but make sure you give them a few days in between to recover.

Don't think I have much choice but to let 'em rest at the moment!! I guess at this point I will work them as often as they let me and still be able to walk!! Kudos for squats, I'm a believer!!
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 11:48
Registered Member

BF:

I do my lunges as stationary lunges, aka split squats. Plant your feet in the lunge position, do your set, then switch legs.

Make sure your front knee is bent 90 degrees, and no more. Knee over toes. If the angle is tighter than a right angle, you need to put your back leg farther back.

You could also try rear lunges:
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Oct-01-04, 17:02
Registered Member

Plan: South Bech Diet
Stats: 187/171.6/132 Female 161cm
BF:
Progress: 28%
Default Thanks for all your input

Thanks, I'll be doing my squats and lunges confidently now! It's day 6 for me and I'm loving it! My carb cravings have gone! Cheers to all.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Oct-02-04, 11:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/187/154 Male 5 feet, 4 inches
BF:33%/30%

I think that squats are great, these multi-joint movements really do make an impact on your entire physique, not just quads, hams and glutes...squats can help put lean mass on all over your body and...they boost your growth hormone levels!

so the answer is yes, squats can bulk you up, but that doesnt have to be the case...just use low to very low weights or even squat with a broom handle!

Kieran
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Oct-02-04, 14:18
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxRep
I think that squats are great, these multi-joint movements really do make an impact on your entire physique, not just quads, hams and glutes...squats can help put lean mass on all over your body and...they boost your growth hormone levels!

so the answer is yes, squats can bulk you up, but that doesnt have to be the case...just use low to very low weights or even squat with a broom handle!

Kieran

While I agree with the points you brought up regarding growth hormone and the impact on your entire physique, and I always recommend STARTING with low or no weight for this exercise (and gradually building it up to squatting your own weight, very very slowly), I have to disagree with using "very low" weights in general.

I think this is where the fundamental differences between males and females comes in. Heavy compound movements like squats, deadlifts and bench press not only stimulate growth hormone, but in males, they also stimulate testosterone, which is GREAT for adding mass IF YOU'RE EATING ENOUGH (!)

Males generally have between 20-40x as much testosterone as women. Most of the muscle growth a male experiences comes from test. For women, most of the muscle growth we experience comes from the less-anabolic growth hormone.

That's why men get larger muscles than women do. When men train heavy and eat a lot, they gain mass. When women train heavy and eat carefully, we get lean.

Heavy compound movements like deep heavy squats burn off a LOT of energy and destroy a LOT of muscle in an intense way. This stimulates the GH response, which stimulates the body to try to repair the damage. The more damage to repair, the more work the body has to do to repair the damage. So the metabolism stays high, sometimes for DAYS following this kind of training. This burns calories, and since it's such a large muscle group that's involved, the legs are the major fat-burning engines of the body, espeically for women.

I am bottom-heavy. Always have been. Even so, nothing has done more for helping to lean out my body as deep, heavy squats.

I sometimes go a little lighter, but it's still heavy, given the reps.

For example, I'll do three sets of 6-8 squats with 135 lbs, but last week I did three sets of 24 squats with 95 pounds - lightER than my short sets, but still fairly heavy.

My legs are now SMALLER than they were when I wasn't "bulking them up" with squats. And you really DO have to go heavy if you want to change the shape.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Oct-02-04, 15:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/187/154 Male 5 feet, 4 inches
BF:33%/30%

oh yes, sure, no doubt about it.

You have to go heavy to get big results, but if your new to squatting you must get your form spot on and gain enough confidence before going heavy...

I learned to squat with just the bar or at home with a broom handle.

in conclusion, i think you must tax yours muscles to get results, if it gets to easy then add more resistance.
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Oct-02-04, 16:04

Plan: atkins/Thurmond
Stats: 208/151.6/128 Female 5' 3"
BF:??/32.6%/25%
Progress: 71%

That-s news to me- I have been doing The Firm which includes tons of lunges, squats, and leg presses(climbing a 14" box) and have lost tons of inches. I have gone from a size 20-22 to a 16- almost 14. It will increase your muscle mass but not the size of your legs and buns- the secret is measure- you will see a loss as you tone and define your butt and legs.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Oct-03-04, 20:41
Registered Member

Plan: Food
Stats: /128/ Female 5'4"
BF:

Squats and lunges will get you a nice booty and some nice legs. Not squatting when you're healthy and able to do so is a mistake, especially when trying to lean out. It's one of the most metabolically demanding exercises you can do.
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Oct-03-04, 23:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Wynne
Squats and lunges will get you a nice booty and some nice legs. Not squatting when you're healthy and able to do so is a mistake, especially when trying to lean out. It's one of the most metabolically demanding exercises you can do.

I believe it!! The outside of my a** cheeks have never been as engaged as the free standing squats demand compared to any machine I've used.

I checked out your gallery...holy crap!!! You are workin' it baby!! Are you natural?? Please don't take this question as any offence but, my god, you are pretty damn muscular and I am totally amazed at your physique!! If that is natural you are one of the lucky ones that have won the "genetic lottery!!". Please share your story!!
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Oct-03-04, 23:39
Registered Member

BF:

I believe Leah is natural. And yes, she's amazing. And I WANT her legs...<drools>

#30   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-04, 04:29
fierce!

Plan: TGDW
Stats: -/-/- Female 64
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
Originally Posted by antojak
I've heard Michael Thurman say that people with big hips and butt shouldn't do squats or lunges as this will only bulk up the muscle under the fat.

He also says that women should never do full lateral raises or they'll get a big neck. Bull! And the only chest exercise he promotes for women is flys. BS!