Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-20-04, 12:09

Plan: Mod Carbs.1200-1600 cals
Stats: 148/185/120 Female 5"2 or 159cm
BF:
Progress: -132%
Wink ...:: Priscillas GymLog ::...

Ok, today was my first day at the gym and I think I did pretty well!

This is what I did: Legs

*Hip Adductors: Lever Seated Hip Adduction 7x20
*Quads: Lever Leg Extension 3x20sets
*Hamstring: Seated Leg Curl 5x20sets
*Bycycle: 20minutes level6-8

Strech

Last edited by Da Rosa : Mon, Sep-20-04 at 13:50.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-20-04, 14:06

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%
Smile

Hi Priscilla!! You will get some wonderful advice here, there are several very helpful lifters. Be sure to ask questions if you have any.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-20-04, 14:11
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hey there darosa -

This is great!

Could you tell us what your goals are? There are some knowledgeable folks here who might be able to steer you toward some really great exercises, and away from things you might not want. For example, my legs are naturally wide, so I avoid adductor/abductor work because these exercises build width in the leg. But I do a lot of heavy quad and hamstring and glute work because these make my legs deeper and narrower, so my silhouette looks more proportioned.

Glad you're posting. Drop into my journal or gym log anytime you like.

#4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-20-04, 14:49

BF:

Oh, aight Built!

Goals

Things- A better silhouette. Bétter definition betwen hamstring and glute (I have ZERO!). I dont know about the quad, my mom used to me a heaby exersices when she was yung and she said she would get HUGE quad muscles. Then there is the outer things.. I think this is the worst after the leg/but definition.
What do I do about the innerthighs though? I want them gone!

Stomac- the midabbs have to get smaller.. I seriusly look preagnant! I have never had this problem before (?!).. I used to be the lower abbs, now its the mid/upper. That cant be good! This will not be to hard I think... the shoulders and waiste is the first thing I will get smaller on.
Then there is the lifelong problem of mine.. the obliques! I justdont know what to do for that. I have never gotten the side situpps or crunches right.., I cant feel anything happening when Im doing them. Plus, consider my temporary weak back please. Hm.. how bout that. What can I do for my back?

Arms- Triceps, they used to be really bad and aproportional... they are "eehm.. ok" right now but if I can get them like this now I know I can get them much better at the gym. According to MyBodyComp (?) my lower arm muscles are to small/weak compared to the rest of me.

Shoulders/Deltoid (Lateral)/side delts- I want my bony shoulders baack! I think this will be a piece of cake! *yuum..lol!*

But, Glute, Ass, poto, rumpa, arsle- REDUCE! DE-fine! I think there is stuff I shouldavoid to do here b/c ... well, my ass is (how do I say this nicely) gettoliciuse, wide and comparing to my upper bodu it doesnt fit. I have zero breast and my upperbody is very small when Im skinny. (I remember back in the days)

Gastrocnemius, calfes- I already have pretty big muscles there (from general walking) and I know I can get them even bigger and more defined. I dont think I want them bigger but defenition without flexing would be greate.

Chest/Breast- Hmm. build! Definitly build! And definition. Am I dreaming? I want some boobs! LOL.

No ya knoow! Thank you soo much!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-20-04, 15:28
Registered Member

BF:

I'll try to get back to this later today. Drop me a line in my journal if I forget, okay? Maybe you'll get lucky and liftnlady will pipe in here...she knows a TON about exercise.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-20-04, 15:50
Registered Member

Plan: hi prot/carb/cal cycling
Stats: 138.5/133.5/120 Female 64 inches
BF:20%
Progress: 27%

hey Da Rosa....nice to see you are getting into lifing. Here is a link to Built's jounal with a beginner weight program that is a very good program for a beginner. Like she says, stay away from the adductor and abductor machines as they will only make you wider...stick with things like squats (will help that inner thigh area) and stiff leg deadlift (will help with the glute hammy tie in). Look over this program and see if this is something you think you could do and if your gym has allthe equipment, we can tweak what you do not htink works for you or what you might not be able to do with alternate exercises.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...90&postcount=82
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-20-04, 15:58

BF:

Thank you so much! I was afraid you would recomend the Squats, I did them a while ago with drumbells and my knes hurt really bad for several days! I did it pretty intensly as it was written in the program I was following. I think Ill go lighter and work myself up this time. I really need to work on my weak knes and back to be able to do this. I acctually thik Ill be doing it tomorrow.. I cant wait!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-20-04, 16:12
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Liftnlady - and darosa, if you do your squats with a wide stance, it'll hit the inner thigh really well.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-20-04, 16:12
Registered Member

Plan: hi prot/carb/cal cycling
Stats: 138.5/133.5/120 Female 64 inches
BF:20%
Progress: 27%

you may just want to try bodyweight squats, or use one of those big exercise balls behind your back and do wall squats until you get the form down...that way you can strengthen your legs and not hurt your knees. make sure when you squat you are not letting your knees go over your toes.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-20-04, 16:18

BF:

Quote:
make sure when you squat you are not letting your knees go over your toes.

Ahh... Ill fall on my ass! I swear!

Quote:
you may just want to try bodyweight squats

Ill try this though! I know I can do this thaanks!

Quote:
if you do your squats with a wide stance, it'll hit the inner thigh really well.

ANd when Im strong enough (soon please!) I will do that!

Good advice giirls! Gracias!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-04, 00:38
Registered Member

BF:

okay, well, when you do your squats, remember to stick your ass out and your chest out, and look forward. This way, you won't fall over.

I looked at your fitday - your calories are all over the place, but they often seem a bit high for weight loss. Calories aren't everything, but they ARE part of it, for some people at least.

If you're trying to weigh 120 lbs, I'd think you'd want about 100-120g protein a day, roughly, and at least another 100-120g fat. If you take in 120g each of protein and fat, and 25g carb, this puts you at 1660 cals a day - an amount that should be very reasonable to follow in a ketosis diet at 65% cals from fat. If you can get in 6 meals a day with 15-20g each of protein and fat, you should start losing again and you shouldn't feel hungry.

Start measuring your food for a bit - about a half a cup (250 ml)of any protein rich food is about 20g of protein. Add in your fats and your low carb veggies, and this should help you manage your day. Stay away from fake food, other than artificial sweeteners. IE avoid the low carb bars, wraps, breads...

Try to spread the meals out so they're all about the same size and they all have about the same breakdown.

If you're gaining weight, you're eating more food than you're expending.

That's the first thing.

And thank you for the lovely compliments!

Are you taking any supplements?

Some I recommend:
Glutamine 15g a day in three doses (am empty, after workout or midday, bedtime)
Fish oil: 6g a day
Vitamin C: gram a day
calcium
vitamin E - 400 IU a day (helps the fish oil)

Have a look at this and see what you think.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-04, 02:22

BF:

Thaanks alot!

About my diet. I know I have been messing to much with it and that the calories are to hight. Its mostly because I had given upp on the diet and b/c I get really restelss and stressfull just thinking about school and the diet when Im home... wich i always am. I have nowhere to go, so I litteraly just sitt here all day long doing absolutely nothing. That just depresses and stresses me out so I just end upp snacking and eating. I binged bigtime on the nutts again last night.. I added it as breakfast, so I only had an egg this morning. Bit Ill eat good before my workout. The reason for why I had decreased the protein so much is because I thought that because I hadent been using it just might have made me gain... so decreased it for the days I wasnt active. Ill be good to eat a little for food.

Supplements. Yepp I take them all. Fish oil 3xday, calcium w. magnesium 3xday, a multivitamin/mineral and a alldaylasting strong vitamin C. So, am I good? I think I got the E in the multi but I dont know about the glutamin. What does that do?

How about the hours I eat. BFL recomends not eating 2h before workout and 1 hour after.. so how do I get the even hours? Thoughts?

Im going to the gym today too.. Ill be working on knees, back and a little abbs.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-04, 08:50

BF:
Talking Good day!

Today it was acctually fun and I got a good workout.

I did ARMS, SHEST, SHOULDERS, LEGS and ABBS:

*Sled Lying Leg Press- 5x12 pretty heavy
*Lever Leg Extension- 5x20
*Lever Seated Crunch- 5x20
*Lever Chest Press- - 5x20, 3x20
*Lever Rear Delt Row- 5x15
*Streched- 5minutes
*Stairmaster- level5, fatburner, 10 minutes. Wow, I boke out a real sweat
*Streched/Power Yoga- 20minutes

Last edited by Da Rosa : Tue, Sep-21-04 at 08:55.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-04, 11:14
Registered Member

BF:

Hey -

That looked better!

Now, what arm work did you do?
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-04, 13:59

BF:

Thanks! Hmm I thought the chestpress and the row would do for the arms. I tried doing the row with my hands diferently (opposite to horisontal?) and I could feel it in the arm, but I couldnt do that... my biceps are so weak. I think they are kinda like virgins. I never consentraded on them only on the triceps and shoulders, I dont really know how to do an effective bicep workout. Help?

Last edited by Da Rosa : Tue, Sep-21-04 at 14:53.