Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Wed, Sep-29-04, 11:45

Plan: modified LC carb cycling
Stats: 182/148/125 Female 5"6
BF:
Progress: 60%

Great work Wanda, and hey don't worry about the weight, it's water probably from muscle tears and the fluid that surrounds the muscle to heal it.

Have a good one!

Maggie
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Wed, Sep-29-04, 12:30
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Maggie:

Something funny's happening with my cycle. I'm really crampy and by all signs I've haven't even ovulated yet. I'm guessing that's the reason for the water gain. I'd just come off a low calorie day so I was really hoping to see some downward movement. This whole process has become psychologically difficult. BTW, I'm seeing my holistic doc tomorrow to see about some thyroid tests.

I've always read about the water retention from lifting, but never found that to be true for me. Whenever I have a rest week, I always weigh myself to see if I lose water weight, but it's never happened. Strange.

Wanda
  #63   ^
Old Wed, Sep-29-04, 12:42
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:

You do know your testosterone levels are elevated near ovulation, right? I sometimes try to plan my heaviest lifts in the days right around ovulation to take advantage of this, and crank up my calories during this time as well.

Actually, there are a few other, um, activities I like to arrange for during this time...
  #64   ^
Old Wed, Sep-29-04, 17:08
"Natural Mystic"

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Built! Hi!

Wanda, Have you looked really closely at your body lately? I am not seeing changes in terms of inches either but when I look at my body I can see changes very very very subtle changes.

Also if you're recomposing muscle for fat you might not see the difference right away if you are retaining water. You are lifting more than before right so it's possible you ould be retaining?

Just some thoughts. Hang in there. If it's frustrating to weigh right now put the scale somewhere until the end of the 12 weeks.

red
  #65   ^
Old Wed, Sep-29-04, 17:32
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Sweet Red!

I don't mean to sound so negative, I'm not really. Just frustrated by my body's lack of cooperation. I KNOW I should be getting good results from my diet and exercise program b/c it's an EXCELLENT plan. I have an appointment with the doctor tomorrow so I hope I'll get some answers. I usually leave there feeling pretty positive about things (except when his tech forces me on that damn scale!).

It's not the scale that's bothering me (after all, it doesn't tell me much) as much as my clothes are still tight. I've been resisting buying a new wardrobe, but I think the time has come for me to dust the cobwebs off my wallet. I hate it, but I'm not looking very professional in the clothes I'm able to fit in.

Having done all my whining , I'm seriously amazed at all the muscle and strength I'm building. If I could melt away the fat, there's some pretty nice muscle underneath. I need to do as Lilli said and focus on strength, but some days it's hard.

I should try to take pictures this weekend. Maybe you're right and I'm not seeing the subtle changes.

Thanks Red! I'll get it together, I promise.

Wanda
  #66   ^
Old Wed, Sep-29-04, 17:33
Registered Member

Plan: hi prot/carb/cal cycling
Stats: 138.5/133.5/120 Female 64 inches
BF:20%
Progress: 27%

the other thing you might want to try at this stage is either adding 10 minutes onto each of your 2 30 min cardio sessions, or doing a separate day of 20-30 minutes. I know that you do need to keep upping the cardio every few weeks.

and as red says you may see changes in your body first without movement on the scale.
  #67   ^
Old Wed, Sep-29-04, 17:35
Registered Member

also...if you find that you are not hungry on any of the days either skip a meal or eat a little less for that meal
  #68   ^
Old Wed, Sep-29-04, 17:44
"Natural Mystic"

Quote:
the other thing you might want to try at this stage is either adding 10 minutes onto each of your 2 30 min cardio sessions, or doing a separate day of 20-30 minutes. I know that you do need to keep upping the cardio every few weeks.
Good idea, Lift. Wanda if you can fit it in without getting rundown. Maybe at least every other week add in an extra session.

Quote:
I'm seriously amazed at all the muscle and strength I'm building.
Yeah, that's what I was trying to say. Look how strong you are!

Take some new pictures (the gall of me and I have not taken mine) I''ll take (yikes!) if you'll take!

Seriously, you don't sound negative Wanda, just human. Remember my constant complaining to you in the beginning? It's not whining Wanda and if it was who cares it's your journal.

red
  #69   ^
Old Wed, Sep-29-04, 18:53
Mad Scientist

BF:

Wednesday Sept 29 - Medium Carb/Calorie Day

Meal #1 - Steel cut oats w/ cottage cheese, blueberries & stevia
Meal #2 - Summer chicken, green beans, 1 apple
Meal #3 - Cottage cheese, almond butter, stevia

Workout: Quads
ATF Squats - 10x6/80x4x4/85x4x2
One Legged Calf Raise (Leg Press) - 35x6/90x4/95x4x3/100x4x2
2 depletion circuits (30 minutes)

Meal #4 - Protein powder, soy milk, butternut squash, SF caramel syrup
Meal #5 - Cottage cheese w/ peanut butter & stevia; lettuce w/ fish oil & balsamic vinegar

Calories - 1311; Protein 120g (36%); Carbs 99g (30%); Fat 50g (34%)

I had a good workout today, maybe b/c I did circuits 2&3. I'm tryin' to told back on the ATFs, but that wreckless little voice is saying "go for it". Is there something you can use for knee stability during squats? Did I see knee wraps somewhere?

Red, I'll "take" but you have to show first. You can't be trusted! Lift and you are right. I should consider an extra session as long as it doesn't wear me down too much. <<grumble, grumble>>

Everyone have a great night!

Wanda
  #70   ^
Old Wed, Sep-29-04, 19:31
Registered Member

wanda, I got some neoprene knee wraps when I was having my probelm...they really help alot, you might want to check into them. I got the kind that velcro around your leg versus a sleeve you pull onto the knee.
  #71   ^
Old Wed, Sep-29-04, 20:50

Plan: modified LC carb cycling
Stats: 182/148/125 Female 5"6
BF:
Progress: 60%

Hi Wanda

I'm glad you're going to the doctor. Don't forget it's Free T3. Please post the results for me!

I always retain water around ovulation.

As yes built, there are other fun things you can do at this time!

Maggie
  #72   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 20:13
Mad Scientist

BF:

Thursday Sept 30 - Low Carb/Calorie Day

Cardio: Treadmill - 40 minutes (including 5 min warmup & cooldown)

Meal #1 - Cottage cheese, peanut butter & stevia
Meal #2 - Summer chicken
Meal #3 - Cottage cheese, peanut butter & stevia

Calories - 710; Protein 97g (54%); Carbs 11g (6%); Fat 31g (40%)

I'm experimenting with the low calorie day. As long as I eat lots of protein to equal my LBM and almost 0 carbs, I don't feel any post meal hunger at all, which is unusual for me. I can't believe I'm trying this, but desperate times...... Oh well, there is a science called CRON (Calorie Restriction, Optimal Nutrition) for proven anti-aging that would endorse this, given all the supplements I take. So I'm doing this so I can kill off cancer cells and live longer.

Wanda
  #73   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 20:24
"Natural Mystic"

Wanda, just curious. I am sure I have asked you this before but what supplements do you take?

Now you know I'm not gonna comment on your calories because well you remember that lil experiment? [Hey someone pm-ed me asking me about it.] Plus its cycling up and down and you're covered for the lean mass. Plus you're a scientist so it's part of the job description.

Maybe you'll feel hungry tomorrow on your HC day.

Question: Does your stomach growl sometimes or do you eat before that ever happens? Just wondering.

red
  #74   ^
Old Sat, Oct-02-04, 07:54
Mad Scientist

BF:

Friday Oct 1 - Low Carb/Calorie Day

Cardio: Treadmill - 40 minutes

Meal #2 - Chicken, almonds
Meal #3 - Warm Roasted Red Pepper salad w/ goat cheese; Tortellin w/ Mushroom Rose sauce

Calories - too many

It was supposed to be a low calorie/carb day, but I had a business meeting last night and it turned out to be at my favorite restaurant. Pasta is my downfall. At first, I just ordered the pasta, but someone had the salad and it looked so good, I had to order it too. OMG, the salad was the best I've ever had. Oh well, the break did me good and 1 cheat meal won't kill me. The cheat was well worth it b/c the food was so good. On the upside, I didn't eat the bread or have any desert so the damage was minimal. I'll make up for it with some cardio this morning.

Wanda
  #75   ^
Old Sun, Oct-03-04, 10:01
Mad Scientist

BF:

Saturday Oct 2 - High Carb/Calorie Day (adjusting to LC day to make up for yesterday)

Workout: Shoulders & Lats

Dumbbell Shoulder Press - 12x6/20x4x5/21.25x4
Neutral Grip Pulldowns - 40x6/80x4x5/82.5x4
2 circuits (30 minutes)

Meal #2 - Protein powder, soy milk, butternut squash, SF caramel syrup
Meal #3 - Cottage cheese, peanut butter & stevia
Meal #4 - Chicken salad w/ balsamic vinegar & fish oil dressing

I was going to do some cardio, but I never got the chance. I ended up on a conference call on some legal issues, then I had to finish up some office work.