Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Do you subtract the fibre on a daily basis?
Yes all the time and it works for me 60 72.29%
No I just count all of the carbs as my total 11 13.25%
Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't 12 14.46%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jan-26-05, 11:19
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

I subtract fiber and sugar alcohols to get my net carbs. Works for me. Your mileage may vary.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jan-26-05, 11:52

Plan: My Own, Reading Labels!
Stats: 322/259/223 Male 5' 10"
BF:???????
Progress: 64%
Thumbs up Fiber for me!

I do subtract Fiber. It allows for alot of vegatables and the low carb tortilla shells. Those shells keep us on the diet when ever we are craving Pizza which is one of our big downfalls. Also, I love mexican food, chorizo, etc, etc... The shells are a weekly part of our diet. Brocolli and Cauliflower is eaten at least 3 or 4 times per week.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-05, 11:16

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00
BF:yep
Progress: 58%

I subtract fiber but not sugar alcohols. Try not to eat too many SA's anyway tho, cause they do nasty things to my stomach
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-05, 11:18
Blood,Sweat and Pain

Plan: My Own Home Grown
Stats: 231/153/160 Male 172cm
BF:
Progress: 110%

I don't subtract the sugar alcohols, I'm diabetic and they do make a markable effect on my blood sugar.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Mar-20-05, 11:56

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Hi jadefox26,

There are problems with fitday and British foods. In our system of labelling fibre is already subtracted. So something labelled 6g carbs, 2g fibre has just that and you can't subtract the fibre again. The same product in the USA would be labelled 8g carbs, 2g fibre and sure you can subtract the fibre,

If you put British foods into fitday as custom foods you have to add the fibre and the carbs together for the carsb column or you will get a false reading. I.e. if it says 3g carbs 3g fibre then you have to enter it as a custom food as 6g carbs 3g fibre.

If you enter something like 2g carbs 3g fibre it comes up with an error notice telling you that fibre cannot be more than carbs.

So, in short all these Americans and Canadians can subtract the fibre but you and I can't!
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Mar-21-05, 15:16
Staying Put

Plan: Atkins/CarbCycling
Stats: 299/252/180 Female 69"
BF:
Progress: 39%

I didn't realise this thread was still going! thanks to all who responded!!
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-05, 12:01
Registered Member

Plan: A mix of this and that...
Stats: 160/160/130 Female 5'5.5"
BF:T/&/A
Progress: 0%

I deduct the fiber. I get to eat more veggies that way. If you deduct the fiber just so you can eat questionable things, then the whole point of LCing is lost.

I was deducting the SA's.... but in the "Atkins ice cream is evil" thread, tagcaver had this to say:

Quote:
Here's the scoop (pun intended) on sugar-alcohol containing ice cream: Sugar alcohols are hygroscopic -- water is attracted to them much like table salt left out on a humid day. In the intestines, if not digested*, they will attract lots of water molecules, making your stool very loose and watery and, um, well, explosive.

* Some people digest sugar alcohols, and the body treats them just like other carbohydrates. They have the enzyme to do this, and the molecule is changed, thus destroying its hygroscopic effect, and the, um, aftereffects. These people should count all the carbs listed for sugar alcohols.

Other people lack this enzyme (genetics, just like some people can curl their tongue and others can't, or why some people have blue eyes and others brown eyes). The people who lack the enzyme send the sugar alcohol molecules through their body unchanged and rather rapidly, also. These people can probably ignore all sugar alcohol carbs, but should not go out in public after consuming these molecules.

A sugar alcohol, by the way, is a regular sugar molecule that has been reduced by hydrogen atoms and an enzyme, and the terminal carbonyl group has been changed to a hydroxyl (alcohol) group, so there's only one hydrogen atom different between the two. Otherwise they're very similar.

So now I'm not counting them - I'm endeavouring to keep them out of my body period. Ick!
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-05, 12:26

Plan: Atkins~Modified
Stats: 173/173/145 Female 5' 6" and growing!
BF:26.6%/
Progress: 0%

I subtract the fiber. But, I think I am going to quit doing so. Someone here posted that they did at first, and stalled. I am stalled, so I am going to stop subtracting the fiber to see if it works in stopping the stall! So, I can not answer the poll. There is no option for this one!
I don't eat anything with sugar acohols so I don't know what they would do. I will venture that one, one of these days.
Brenda