Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 08:52

Plan: Atkins-like
Stats: 215/170/170 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 100%

I think you'll be fine as far as the contamination thing. Especially if your yeast is good and takes off within 6-8 hours of pitching. The bubbler is known as an air lock, and the rubber thing is a grommet. For future reference.

And the deal with the Beano, is that it is an enzyme that breaks down dextrins into single sugars that can be fermented. Normally, amylases only break the straight chains of starches down, when they get to a branch point they leave it as a three-sugar molecule called a dextrin. Normally you want this, as it gives the beer some body. But it is also carbs, so the Beano breaks these down and the yeast can then ferment the sugar on to alcohol, leaving less carbs. Beano does the same thing with beans, which have dextrins in them and these dextrins are what the methanogenic bacteria in your large intestine "eat", producing gas that exits as flatulence.

Isn't the science of brewing wonderful? But its more of an art, and a good buzz as a reward.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 11:11
Grrrrrrowwwwwwwl

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 163/145.2/135 Female 64 inches
BF:34/29/20
Progress: 64%

Thanks Tom.

It's good times! And, yes, the buzz is a GREAT reward!
  #48   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 18:55
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:

Hrmph. You guys are a bad influence. I was going to take this weekend to de-clutter my 'junk' room, but I think brewing would be more fun.

Jamesblond, good luck... you probably didn't contaminate the beer. Generally, if you keep everything sanitized and your hands clean, you can afford to make a mistake or three. Think of it this way - they brewed beer successfully long before the invention of soap or sanitizers, so...

Cheers!
  #49   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 11:02
Grrrrrrowwwwwwwl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Hrmph. You guys are a bad influence. I was going to take this weekend to de-clutter my 'junk' room, but I think brewing would be more fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine

Jamesblond, good luck... you probably didn't contaminate the beer. Generally, if you keep everything sanitized and your hands clean, you can afford to make a mistake or three. Think of it this way - they brewed beer successfully long before the invention of soap or sanitizers, so...

Cheers!
That's pretty much what Drummerboy had to say..."for crying out loud, they used to make beer in caves"

We'll see. I can't wait!!
  #50   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-05, 08:18

BF:

They also died very young.

I'm such a pessimist.
  #51   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-05, 11:28
Grrrrrrowwwwwwwl

Question

Edit to my post after speaking w/DB..it was BARNS they made the beer in, not caves Which is good right? 'Cause they lived longer?

DB took a SG reading this morning and it appears we're ready to bottle

Any advice from the Veterans on the bottling process???
Blond
  #52   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-05, 17:18
Forum Moderator

BF:

Grab a pillow to sit on. I hate bottling; it hurts my butt.

Be sure it's definitely done fermenting, so you don't end up with bottle bombs.

Remember to leave them at room temperature for 5-7 days.

Can't wait to hear about your finished product.
  #53   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-05, 08:41

BF:

I generally let it sit for closer to two weeks before bottling. Just to let it settle out better. The more trub you have in your bottles, the more off flavors you can develop. But on a first batch, you might want to go ahead. I remember well, the impatience I had about my first batch.

Tips on bottling? Have everything sanitized and ready. Fill your bottles and place the caps on them, then seal when you have it all bottled.

Also, make darned sure you are adding the right amount of bottling sugar. Malt extract is better, but I usually just use corn sugar. I'm generous with it, because I don't like a flat beer. But don't get happy with it or you'll have explosions on your hands. You can open one bottle after a week or so, it shold be developing some carbonation by then. I've had very few batches that failed to carbonate properly.

Once I added twice the correct amount of sugar to a nice batch of stout, rather than throw it out I pasteurized it. Came out very nice, but I always winced when I popped a top. And if you opened it without chilling, it would gush.
  #54   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-05, 10:11
Forum Moderator

BF:

Oh... and carbonation is where plastic bottles come in handy. I like to have at least a few in plastic so I can give it the 'squeeze' test after a few days.

Of course, the taste test works just as well.
  #55   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-05, 16:09
Registered Member

Stats: 260/214.6/199 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 74%
Thumbs up Bottled the First Brew...

JB and I bottled our first brew last night (Amber Ale) and wouldn't you know there was half a bottle left over at the end of the process...

D~MN!!!!! It is one tasty brew... (even warm and flat...)

The process was very smooth and went well with JB filling and me on the capper...

Our precious beverages are now aging (and carbonating) in the basement...

We plan on cooking up some cider this weekend so that it can age to perfection for JB's birthday...

Stay Tuned...
DB
  #56   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-05, 09:14
Grrrrrrowwwwwwwl

Yep, yep. The beer is in bottles and carbonating away

Kristine- Good idea on the plastic bottles. We may have to try that next time..

Tom- As for the sugar, we created this first 'rookie' batch from a recipe that was purchased at the home brew store. The sugar was included and pre-measured

I was thinking as we added the malt to the water that it would be a HUGE, sticky mess should any bottles burst... Here's to hoping that never happens to ANY of us!
Blond
  #57   ^
Old Mon, Jan-17-05, 12:02

Stats: 295/189/185 Male 70"
BF:
Progress: 96%

JB and Drummerboy,
Hope your beer turns out to be a good one. I remember my first one was just OK. I got my homebrew kit for Christmas in '92, I think. I hope you keep your interest in brewing. I've found it to be good therapy.

You might ask at your brew shop if there is a brew club in your area. I've had alot of fun over the years with my "brew buddies". My DW and I are hosting our club's Christmas party this Saturday. Two of the guys built this huge barbeque. I'm sure we'll put it to good use Saturday.

Any way, good luck with your brewing!

Bruce (Brews)
  #58   ^
Old Mon, Jan-17-05, 16:12
Grrrrrrowwwwwwwl

Bruce = Brews LMAO! Reminds me of Finding Nemo; one of the sharks is Bruce...NM, but it's funny to me

Our first batch turned out really well. Beyond my expectations even. We had the first glass last night. It was TAS-TY.

As for the interest in brewing, I think we're addicted! We only bottled our first batch last week and already we have a batch of cider in the primary and a second batch of beer on the back burner <so to speak >.

Making beer is good times!!

Cheers!
  #59   ^
Old Mon, Jan-17-05, 18:17
Forum Moderator

BF:

Yay, I'm happy it turned out well for you!!

I, sadly, have been neglecting my home brewery. That nonsense has to stop! I'm fortunate enough to have a utility room with no heating, so it's a lovely 60 degrees in there this time of year. Perfect for baby beer.
  #60   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-05, 09:53
Grrrrrrowwwwwwwl

Shame on you Kristine!

Brew baby brew!