Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Would Low Carb work for Anyone?
Everyone should eat this way. 76 31.93%
People with insulin problems should, but that's most. 40 16.81%
Some people need a higher carb level than low carb. 104 43.70%
Grains and sugar are just fine, it's quantity. 18 7.56%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

#76   ^
Old Mon, Feb-21-05, 15:33

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
I did Atkins. It replaces carbs with proteins as your main nutrient source, right?

Not quite. At Atkins induction levels, between 60 and 70% of your calories should be coming from fat, roughly 25-30% from protein and the remaining from carbs. As you move through the different phases, the percentage of calories from protein stays roughly the same while the percentage of calories from carbs goes up and the percentage of calories from fats goes down.
Atkins, at least in the early phases, is a high fat program, not a high protein one.
There is also no law that says that you can't make adjustments to the plan. The Schwarzbein Principle would likely allow you the foods that you feel you need to be digestively comfortable. You can read more about this plan here: http://www.lowcarb.ca/atkins-diet-a...-principle.html
Life without Bread might also be a plan to consider as T-Bone Mitch suggested. You can read more about that plan here: http://www.lowcarb.ca/atkins-diet-a...hout-bread.html

Last edited by Lisa N : Mon, Feb-21-05 at 16:14.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Mon, Feb-21-05, 17:08
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
Not quite. At Atkins induction levels, between 60 and 70% of your calories should be coming from fat, roughly 25-30% from protein and the remaining from carbs. As you move through the different phases, the percentage of calories from protein stays roughly the same while the percentage of calories from carbs goes up and the percentage of calories from fats goes down.
Atkins, at least in the early phases, is a high fat program, not a high protein one.
There is also no law that says that you can't make adjustments to the plan. The Schwarzbein Principle would likely allow you the foods that you feel you need to be digestively comfortable. You can read more about this plan here: http://www.lowcarb.ca/atkins-diet-a...-principle.html
Life without Bread might also be a plan to consider as T-Bone Mitch suggested. You can read more about that plan here: http://www.lowcarb.ca/atkins-diet-a...hout-bread.html
The point is, I could never GET through induction phase of Atkins, so the other phases are irrelevant to me personally because I was so constipated I could not move on to OWL and maintenance. And I tried everything but surgery to get my bowels to move and they just wouldn't. I think low carb advocates should face the fact that it just does not work for EVERYONE. As far as the "Life Without Bread" plan, why oh why would I have ever gotten the notion that it bans bread? Hmmm do you think the title might have something to do with it? I am not getting another BOOK! I have tried to lose weight on low carb for the last year and a half and I am tired of struggling trying to lose weight with low carb plans. I am going to eat normally and just eliminate junk food and limit my calories to less than 2000 / day and continue to exercise as much as possible. It's OK though. I am not condeming low carbing, so no one has to feel obligated to defend it in replies to me. If it works for you---GREAT! I am happy for you. However, it did NOT work for me. And now I bid low carbing and this fine board adieu.
  #78   ^
Old Thu, Feb-24-05, 16:06

Plan: low carb
Stats: -/-/- Male 5'10
BF:
Progress:

Life Without Bread is a title; it does NOT require that one give up grain altogether. In fact, the author's low-carb plan is actually 72 grams of STARCHY carbs per day, meaning that one can enjoy some bread, oatmeal, beer, or whatever. And he does NOT support induction levels of carbs, preferring that people stick in the roughly 70-80 range, as its proven practical and safe over the long term.

Also, as others have said, low-carb is not high protein, at least to Lutz and others. The higher fat, modest protein aids digestion, and the bowel. But one does have to read the book to learn more...
  #79   ^
Old Wed, Mar-02-05, 18:53

Plan: gluten free lc
Stats: 200/130/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 175%

I read a book with questionaires that help the reader see which diet they should go on. The author said about 15% of the population does better with a high carb diet. (I imagine They are the ones who look healthy on a vegetarian diet). If anyone is interested, I could research and find the title to that book. I first had a high score in a very low carb, short term diet, and later in a diet that can be followed for life, which is more moderate. Sounds a lot like ATkins and all the other formal Low carb programs, doesn't it? Anyway, nowadays, I don't feel as well on an extremely low carb diet. --Gail
  #80   ^
Old Mon, Mar-21-05, 06:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/184/150 Male 5.8
BF:?/18%/6%
Progress: 69%

I just think different people obviously have different ways of metabolizing different things. Me? I'm just naturally a carnivor.
  #81   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-05, 14:50

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/175/158 Female 5'10"
BF:I am 5'10" tall
Progress: 57%
Smile

I feel alot of people who could have the chance to lose weight on low carb........just never give it the "time of day".
We all have a fear of change. Some of us have the courage to try something and stick with it at least once. I feel most often people are misinformed on the subject of a low carb lifestyle.

I had a friend tell me I am going to die of a heart attack from eating too many meats and eggs and cheese.
  #82   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-05, 15:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/178/150 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

I didn't vote, because the choice I would make wasn't there. I don't think anyone really knows the answer to the question. Probably most people could survive a low carb diet, and most people would probably be healthier. But genetic differences could indeed mean that some people would not do well on such a diet.
  #83   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-05, 15:11

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/210/160 Male 5' 7"
BF:31%/31%/24%
Progress: 0%
Default That book on diet determination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailew
I read a book with questionaires that help the reader see which diet they should go on. The author said about 15% of the population does better with a high carb diet.

You may be thinking of one of two books:
  • The Metabolic Typing Diet, by Wolcott
  • The Nutrition Solution: A Guide to Your Metabolic Type, by Kristal and Haig
One of these should be the first book anyone thinking about changing his/her eating habits should consult. The Metabolic Typing Diet has a better self-assessment questionnaire, and The Nutrition Solution is more readable.