Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-02-04, 20:29
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default A great LC sweet treat so good, so satisfying, and so obvious...

It's kind of obvious, but YOGURT is seriously underestimated in it's yumminess potential. Best of all, unlike the majority of LC treats it's actually very good for you. Most people get yogurt and just eat it plain. No no no this is all wrong . You need to make a mock sunday of it. Here's how I do it:

1) Take a LC yogurt of any flavor. Currently I am partial to Hood's vanilla flavor as it reminds me of cake batter.

2) Add in yummy extras which complement your chosen flavor. I find that ground up roasted almonds, a little bit of almond crunch Atkins cereal, and chopped up frozen strawberries works really well with vanilla.
Mix your fruit nuts & cereal together so it's like a chunky "ice cream" now. Freezing it for awhile increases the ice cream consistency of it.

3) Top your yogurt with whipped cream (I use the low calorie pressurized container light stuff, but it's a little higher carb) and a little bit of the ground nuts and SF chocolate.

Just thought I would share the yumminess potential yogurt has with you fine people . Calories and carbs for the whole thing (yogurt, cereal, nuts, whipped cream, berries) is like 8 and the calories not much over 150... but you can really control how many carbs you spend by taking out extras (less berries especially), and calories by taking less nuts/cream. This is by far my favorite sweet treat, I like it more than the candies.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-02-04, 20:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 191.5/160/135 Female 5'3
BF:39.8%/?/27%
Progress: 56%

I just wish I could find some yogurt that isn't nonfat (higher than necessary carbs)! I'm thinking of making some homemade yogurt with heavy cream, so I could get it rich and thick, like they have it in the Mediterranean-- no need to add anything extra to that!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-02-04, 20:56

Stats: 273.5/236.0/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 33%

I couldn't agree more about the french vanilla hood carbcountdown yogurt! We mix it with fresh berries and LC granola or nuts - we also sometimes add lemon extract to the yogurt which is also good!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-02-04, 20:57
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrie
I just wish I could find some yogurt that isn't nonfat (higher than necessary carbs)! I'm thinking of making some homemade yogurt with heavy cream, so I could get it rich and thick, like they have it in the Mediterranean-- no need to add anything extra to that!

Hood's LC yogurt is only 3 carbs and 80 calories for 6 oz. I don't mind that it's low fat... I can put more nuts in this way .
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-02-04, 20:59
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:

Use sour cream instead of yogurt if you can't find higher-fat yogurt.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-02-04, 21:17

Stats: 175/138/135 Female 5'7"
BF:I did it!
Progress: 93%

I picked up a yogurt maker at a garage sale for $1 and made my own using Hood low carb milk. The Hood milk only has 3 carbs per CUP as compared with the "low carb" yogurt which has 3 carbs per about 1/3 cup. It was so easy to make and tastes great! A lot cheaper too. I flavored some of it with some lemon-lime Davinci syrup, and made one batch using root beer extract and splenda. Great tasting stuff!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-02-04, 21:38
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I discovered the goodness of Greek Yogurt. I guess its regular yogurt with the whey drained off. It's sensuously smooth. You can buy it in high fat or low fat. It's about 6 carbs per cup for the 0% fat variety and 8 per cup for the high fat. Anyway, I put Torani sugar free syrups on top. Coffee and Caramel flavors are my favorites, but any of them taste super!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-02-04, 23:21

Stats: 280/188/150 Female 66"
BF:Day37=2"loss belly
Progress: 71%

If you freeze yogurt, won't you kill the beneficial living organisms?
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 08:50

Stats: 191.5/160/135 Female 5'3
BF:39.8%/?/27%
Progress: 56%

Right-- one reason I don't freeze yogurt, and I choose yogurt over sour cream, is for the beneficial organisms.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 09:23

Stats: 210/204/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

How come I can't find Greek yogurt??? Is it called something other than yogurt?
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 09:37
Beach Bum

Plan: da Beach looking for Sun
Stats: 250/229.5/163 Female 5ft 5in
BF:not/ahot/clue
Progress: 24%

I've never seen Greek yogurt either what am I looking for?
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 09:54
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 315/274/175 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

trader joes has it. its called TOTAL but i think there is another brand too. it tastes really different and imo, better than regular yogurt.

i used to eat this every single day in greece but with honey. woo, its funny that you make it into a "sunday" b/c, over there in greece, people eat it as a dessert with honey and walnuts on top. sort of like a sunday.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 09:59
Experimenter

BF:

The one I get at Trader Joe's is called Fage. There's a 0% fat and a full fat variety. Trader Joe's also has their own brand too.

I'm just curious, is Greek yogurt the same as regular yogurt but the whey has been allowed to drain off, like yogurt cheese? If so, it seems like it would be easy to buy regular yogurt and low-carbarize it by suspending it in cheese cloth or something.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 10:04
Experimenter

BF:

Oh look, found something about Total/Fage and a way to approximate greek yogurt:

Quote:
IN SEARCH OF GREEK YOGURT
Full-Fat Paradise
by Emily Hall

I lived for a time in an apartment in Florence, Italy, where I was not allowed to use the stove. This is a long story that doesn't bear retelling here, but for those few months I ate a lot of salad and tabbouleh, bread and Nutella, and soup made on the sly. My roommate and I, suffering from protein deficiency, bought a box (yes, a box) of Italian yogurt that had the consistency of water. We poured it down the drain; later, we discovered Greek yogurt.

Greek yogurt is full-fat and incredibly thick, and is creamy like double cream from England. It's one of the reasons that the tzatziki you get in Greek restaurants has body and texture and deep flavor (other reasons may include a whole lot of olive oil and, in some cases, ground walnuts). You can make a decent approximation of it by draining whole-fat yogurt for a few hours or overnight (line a colander with cheesecloth and set it over a bowl in the refrigerator); this is the unfortunately named "laban," which sounds to me both obscene and New Agey, but tastes pretty good.

I went on a search for real Greek yogurt in Seattle, and while I was at it, tried to investigate the little-known Pita Conspiracy, which is the unanswered question of why supermarket pita is dry and cardboardlike and pita in Greek and Middle Eastern restaurants is pillowy, chewy, and delicious. Unfortunately, this question is still unanswered, but I did find excellent restaurant-quality pita in the frozen-food section of Big John's PFI (formerly Pacific Food Importers, 1001 Sixth Avenue South, 682-2022). When defrosted and fried up in my old, well-seasoned cast-iron pan, it puffed up nicely, the pita of my dreams. Unfortunately, there was no grilled lamb lying around, but I made the best of it with some onion dip.

My search for Greek yogurt ended unsuccessfully, but not altogether unhappily. I tried Mediterranean specialty stores, health-food co-ops, and ritzy supermarkets such as Larry's and Whole Foods. Finally, at my all-time favorite Greek restaurant, the Continental Restaurant and Pastry Shop (4549 University Way N.E., 632-4700), the owner confided that he uses yogurt drained with cheesecloth in the manner described above, and recommended, "You add some honey, you add some nuts, and-- paradise." I went home and did exactly that. It was paradise, but it wasn't the same.

The next day I e-mailed a Greek import company called Fage (www.fage.gr), and asked where in or around Seattle I could find their products (Total brand Greek yogurt, a cult favorite in Manhattan gourmet markets). I received a prompt reply from a Mr. Antonios Maridakis, who told me Fage's products would be here inside of a month, and please to check back.

Bless you, Mr. Maridakis.

"You add some honey, you add some nuts, and--paradise."
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 10:09
Experimenter

BF:

Forgot to mention, last night I stirred a tsp of peanut butter into my Greek Yogurt along with a healthy serving of Torani SF caramel syrup and topped it with chopped pecans.

It was heaven!

Since the full fat yogurt is highly caloric, almost 300 calories per cup, I just use a little Ramekin to make my yogurt sunday. I think I'm getting about half a cup in that.