Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sat, Jul-31-04, 14:24
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

I used to squat with my heels elevated, and achieved some respectable poundages that way--but since I switched to flat-footed, I feel a lot stronger through the whole lift. I'm not yet back to what I used to lift with heel plates, but I am damned close and expect to blast through my old personal best in a few weeks.

But yes, I had to go to a wider stance--not as wide as most powerlifting-style squats, but definitely headed that direction.

One interesting thing; my nagging post-squat knee soreness was not nearly as severe with the wider, flat-footed version.

Emily
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sat, Jul-31-04, 14:31

Plan: NK-LCHF
Stats: 158.2/155.2/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Might I suggest the initial squat be done with Dumbells watching proper form in a mirror, ie straight stance/look with the evil eye on the knee not to go over the feet. I feel that that is a more controlled centered move to build balance compared to the barbell. Followed by a DB squats on a box which gives the extra follow thru at the bottom..then to one legged squats with dumbells on to barbells....Just a suggestion as it worked for me.
  #48   ^
Old Sun, Aug-01-04, 07:24

Plan: Curves eating plan
Stats: 186/152/140 Female 5'8'
BF:
Progress: 74%

Hmm... Interesting thoughts on the heel plates. It sounds like everyone has different results and I should really pay attention to my knees. I dont have the greatest knees in the first place. I really liked how much lower I could go with raised heels and my form seemed better. When I was flat footed, I had a hard time even getting to parrallel, never mind past it. Maybe it's a strength issue?

I find the raised heels to be a very natural position since when I normally squat down to pick something up, or clean something off the floor in a squatted position, my heels are raised off the floor. I find that when they're flat it's more unnatural. Then again, when I squat in a household-situation, my knees move past my toes which they dont when I'm squatting at the gym.

Are my knees somethign that I ought to just pay attention to since everyone seems different in this regard?

BTW, I have wide hips and long legs and I do find that I need a wide stance when I'm flat footed. It almost seems that the most comfortable stance is too wide.
  #49   ^
Old Sun, Aug-01-04, 10:47
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I really think the "raised heel" think comes down to personal geometry. I like it better and find it less strain on my knees. Others find it harder on their knees. Ultimately, you'll just have to carefully experiment with it to see which way works for you, and it sounds like you might be one of those who finds their balance improves a bit with elevated heels.

Proper lifting shoes actually have a somewhat elevated heel, so I don't think the practice is all that unnatural, but it IS really individual.
  #50   ^
Old Sun, Aug-01-04, 11:54
"Natural Mystic"

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

I tried the heel plates thing yesterday. It felt comforatble but I have no problem squatting low without the plates but then I don't squat that much. I did look up this time though. Thanks for the advice everyone.

red
  #51   ^
Old Mon, Aug-02-04, 16:11

Stats: 440/280/180 Female 5 Feet 7 Inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by liftnlady
you can always check out Built's log, page 1 too see her transformation...or strip naked and run down the street....one of those should motivate you.

LMAO! There's no way im gonna run down the street naked..now i would run down the street following a sexy naked man hehe.

Neme
  #52   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 14:12

BF:

Yesterday I did the first set of squats using plates as heel lifts, then the second and third sets with no plates and flat heels. I couldn't go down as far with flat heels, but I felt more stable. I think this had more to do with me not being used to squats yet, then due to the heel lifts. My quads feel like they could lift more weight than just the bar, but I think the rest of my muscles need to catch up!
I'll be interested to hear anyone else's thoughts on the heel lifts and I'll experiment with it again once I have my squatting form down pat.
  #53   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 14:39
Ex-Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amzippity
My quads feel like they could lift more weight than just the bar, but I think the rest of my muscles need to catch up!

That's possible. The lower back is sometimes behind in strength, especially if you've been using machines up to this point, and even if you've been doing a lower back machine. It's more a matter of your nervous system getting used to the squat, believe it or not. Barbell squatting is a whole body lift and that's very different than a machine-based lift. It takes about four workouts to get used to it. Once that's done you can start putting the weights up and you might be surprised how much you can lift.
  #54   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 22:45

Plan: Low Carb Style
Stats: 155/130/122 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 76%

You might want to try using an exercise ball as well. Place it in the small of your back and up against a wall. Shoulders back, feet shoulder width apart, make sure your knees dont go over the toes etc.... This will help develop the full squat much better! Trust me, also..... incorpoate weights later on....You can still get maximum benefits from just using your body weight! Hope this helps.
  #55   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 13:16

BF:

Tholian - what do you mean by the nervous system getting used to the squat? Would there be anything that I would feel that would let me know if this is the case? I'm just curious.
I think my butt needs to catch up, too! After the squats and lunges on Tuesday, my glutes still are sore! (I think that's more from lunges than squats, though!)
  #56   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-04, 15:22
Ex-Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amzippity
Tholian - what do you mean by the nervous system getting used to the squat?

A significant percentage of strength increase, especially for women, is what's called "neural adaptation." What this means is simply that your nervous system learns to be more efficient as it directs your body through the lift. Your lifting mechanics get better. And even a tiny improvement in neuro-muscular coordination can produce an impressive jump in strength without actually adding muscle.

Quote:
Would there be anything that I would feel that would let me know if this is the case? I'm just curious.

Nope, it goes on behind the scenes. You'll feel the lifts get easier, is all.

E.
  #57   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-04, 19:38
"Natural Mystic"

I know how you feel. I know my legs can squat more. The problem is I don't have the strength to lift the bar to my shoulders so I'm stuck at 40lb squats.

red
  #58   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-04, 19:42
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

!GRRRRRR!!!!!! Hey I am in the same situation I'm at 40 lb squats because I feel comfortable hefting that weight around in my living room. (I do overhead squats) I tried over 50 and felt unsafe bringing the bar up and down. Maybe my whole body just has to be stronger.

On a positive note for the squatters who want more weight... can you do pistols? They're a challenge even if you can squat heavy!! I'm a long way off.
  #59   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-04, 23:07
Registered Member

Plan: hi prot/carb/cal cycling
Stats: 138.5/133.5/120 Female 64 inches
BF:20%
Progress: 27%

one thing you can do if you are limited by weight...is to do them super slow, use a 6 count to go down 1 count pause at the bottom and a 6 count to go up, this will increase the time under tension on your muscles.
  #60   ^
Old Sat, Aug-07-04, 16:27
"Natural Mystic"

I almost gave myself a concussion with the 40lb barbell. I banged my forehead with it in May/June. So I'm extra careful now.

Meg, what are pistols? How do you do the overhead squats. Is the bar straight above your head?

Quote:
one thing you can do if you are limited by weight...is to do them super slow, use a 6 count to go down 1 count pause at the bottom and a 6 count to go up, this will increase the time under tension on your muscles.
Good idea Lift!

red