Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Our Website > Comments Box and Technical Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 08:12

Plan: general low-carb
Stats: 194/184/145 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Posting problems continue :(

Hi Wa'il,
Couldn't even finish the thread title without a stall. Have all programs shut down but my ISP and that is not making a difference any more. On a couple of journals I got one letter typed before it stalled...this is so frustrating.

Any other ideas for me to try? I tried to find the old thread so you would know what we have already done, but search came up empty. Looking forward to some help.

Thanks,
Nance
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 10:47
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Try this, clear your browser's temp file and then reboot.

Does it still show the same problem?

Try using a different browser, like FireFox:

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

And see if the problem still happens.

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 22:47

BF:

I clear the browser files almost daily...at least weekly and since this computer is not yet 3 weeks old, I don't see that as being a problem. I \ just stalled here and \ since I cleaned those files out about 200 words ago, that doesn't seem to be the problem. I looked into M \ Mozilla and I am reluctant to install something new on here that also has some problems connected to it according to the FAQ's on their site. Any \ other suggestions besides that? By the way...every mark of '\' is a stall requiring me to use the cursor to restart my ability to type. As you can imagine, it sure takes the pleasure out of visitng this site...which has been my second home for almost a year now!

Thanks Wa'il!
Nance
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-15-04, 07:27
Forum Founder

I strongly suspect that you have several programs running in the background, and interfer with the performance of your browser. Some programs can run in the background, without showing up in the system tray.

So other than my previous suggestions, I think you need to get some technical support person to take a close look at it , as without physical access, all I can do is guess

Wa'il
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-15-04, 08:53

BF:

Wa'il is there some way, other than doing the alt/cntl/delete thing to show that? Bringing that up shows just my ISP running and the Kodak updater thing which I now close before coming to the site. (insert huge, discouraged SIGH icon here! )

Thanks for all the help...sorry to be such a bother!
Nance
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-16-04, 07:11
Forum Founder

When you do the Ctrl+Alt+Delete, there should be a tab called "Processes", where it shows all the processes that are running. Reboot your PC first, and then check what processes are running from the start.

Wa'il
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-16-04, 10:43
SeeMyself

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Lightbulb

Quote:
Some programs can run in the background, without showing up in the system tray.

Quote:
Wa'il is there some way, other than doing the alt/cntl/delete thing to show that?

I hope you don't mind me jumping in and I am not sure if this will help, but it won't hurt either...

Awhile back a program got in to my computer system and it was running about 25 programs silently in the background and it totally messed up the speed and functioning of my computer, what I did is:

Print this out ahead of time.......(you also might want to "write down" what you are "unchecking" in case you want to go back and "recheck them", this won't harm your computer.

Click: start on system tray
Click: run in popup
Type: msconfig
Click: ok
System Configuration Utility will pop up
Click: on startup
UNCLICK on everything that is marked with a "check mark" except:

.........ScanRegistry
.........SystemTray
.........HidServ
.........Keyboard Manager
.........*StateMgr

Click: apply
Click: ok
Restart computer
Screen will pop up saying "Using selective startup"
Click: Don't show me this again

What this does is close everything but what you really need to start up, and as you use programs then they will start up, but not "all at once" upon start up, which can put a drain on your system, and there is no need to have them running if your not using them.

Edit: I am assuming your using Microsoft, if your not, this won't work.

Last edited by SeeMyself : Fri, Jul-16-04 at 10:55.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-17-04, 08:50

BF:

WOW! That was eye opening! There are 44 processes running so I will just copy them here and hopefully between the two of you, you can figure out the culprit. I am running Windows, SeeMyself, so if this first step is a bust I can go back and try your idea. Thanks!

TASKMGR
aolwbspd
Shellmon
waol
hkcmd
SNDSrvc
ScsiAccess
NAVAPSVC
KodakCCS
CCPROXY
acsd
aoltray
SPOOLSV
CCEVIMGR
EXPLORER
CCSETMGR
SVCHost
SVCHost
backweb_728897
EasyShare
SVCHOST
SVCHOST (Yes, it is listed twice)
NotifyAlert
LSASS
SERVICES
WINLOGON
CSRSS
MSMSGS
SMSS
E_S412F1
support
CCAPP
mm_tray
qttask
realplay
wanmpsvc
SVHOST
tfwatrl
PCMService
DSentry
IntelMEM
System
System Idle Process

Whew! Those are all exe programs BTW. Thew only other thing I noticed was the CPU usage was bouncing from 4% to 7% if that tells you anything...means nothing to me!

The one thing that keeps cropping up in the back of my mind is that this whole problem started on the old computer too when I installed the Kodak digital camera software. I am going to do an uninstall/reinstall today and see what happens. Will try posting while it is uninstalled and see what happens.

Thanks you guys! What would an old grandma do without you young smart guys?

Nance
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-17-04, 11:19
Forum Founder

Well, it's not too many, as it's typical for Windows.

However, somehow you have managed to install a software called backweb, which runs in the background. This is, IMHO, sort of a spyware, and I'd remove it ASAP.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/rem...e=flat~start=20

Also the Kodak thing seem to be running. It might be best to only run it when you need it.

But the most important thing is to make sure you never download software from the internet, unless you are sure they are safe and from reputable sites

Wa'il
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-17-04, 11:27
Forum Founder

To remove spyware, check the tools mentioned here:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...799&postcount=4

Wa'il
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jul-17-04, 14:23

BF:

Well I completely uninstalled the Kodak program and the stalling problem is still happening. Not as bad, but still there. Wa'il, the only software I have downloaded from the internet is SpyBot and Adaware...nothing else. I run them at least twice a week, sometimes daily if I have surfed a lot and I run Norton Antivirus a minimum of once per week. I will look into the backweb possibility ,but may have my computer guru nephew do that for me.

I remain...confused!

Nance
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jul-17-04, 16:15
SeeMyself

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Hi,

If I am heading in the wrong direction here just tell me

Quote:
The only other thing I noticed was the CPU usage was bouncing from 4% to 7% if that tells you anything...means nothing to me!

Nance, when you first turn on your computer, right click on the "my computer" and go to properties and click on it, then go over to "performance" and click on it. Under System Resources mine says 96% free, what does yours say?

also, down on the bottom right of your system tray, I have my clock and my speaker icon. What icons do you have showing on the right next to your clock?

When you install programs or download programs most of the time they will "place themselves" in your startup and you'll see an icon for them on the bottom right. They suck up your resources and don't need to be running all the time, only when you need them "imho". That's why I have shut down most of them, now my computer is so much faster, and it's 4 years or more old, I am running Windows ME.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jul-17-04, 16:40
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Hi Nance, hope it's ok if I butt in too, maybe it's your Norton if you have that and the firewall running or even the Norton alone it does sometimes slow things down and I don't know for sure but it might make it stall. I don't seem to have a problem with mine, but my son is networked to my computer and he says it slows him down and causes him problems. Is AOL what you use for your internet, because I see that twice on your list and I just saw another thread where people were complaining about AOL - it came with a lot of games I have and tries to install itself and I always send it packing. Hope something fixes your problem soon.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jul-18-04, 11:15

BF:

Hi guys! The more the merrier working on this problem so I can get back to the forums and post like usual!

Here's the deal;
1.- Brand new Dell computer 3 weeks old tomorrow...running Windows XP Home
2.- Factory installed Norton AV
3.- Self installed SpyBot and Adaware
4.- Factory installed trial versions of Jasc Paint Shop Pro and Paint Shop Photo Album 4 (just in case it matters)
5.- AOL is the only ISP I can get to work out here in the country with our old telephone lines. Have no access to cable or broadband and have tried other ISP's without success...could not log on.
6.- No other software has been downloaded from the Internet
7.- I had the identical problem with the old computer
8.- I do NOT have this trouble on any of the other Bulletin Boards I vist and post on.

SeeMyself, I followed your instructions and never could find the Systems Resources deal. If someone can tell me how to find them on XP, I will try again. Sorry.

The icons in my tool tray running from RIGHT to LEFT of the clock are:
1.- Safely Remove Hardware (Safely Remove USB Mass Storage Device - Drive (F Very interesting! When I clicked on that icon to read it, I had a note come up telling me it could safely be turned off now and it is gone!
2.- Epson Stylus Photo printer
3.- AOL
4.- Musicmatch jukebox
5.- Windows Messenger-not signed in
6.- Local area connection A network cable is unplugged (??)
7.- QuickTime
8.- Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Enabled
9.- Norton Internet Security Enabled
10.- Dell Support Alerts
11.- Kodak EasyShare

Even more interesting is I have typed ALL of this and have NOT stalled once. Going to go to Purnois's journal where I ALWAYS stall and see if that Safely Remove Hardware icon changed anything.

Thanks for all the help guys. Oh, Wa'il, I went to the backweb page you gave me and that appears to be for broadband issues. I couldn't find anything there that related to my computer.

Nance :Wave:
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jul-18-04, 11:20

BF:

Typed 3 words and stalled dead.