Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-11-04, 20:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/155/140 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress:
Smile Pecan Tassies (mini pecan pies)

I was in the middle of baking for my children who are having a bake sale, and decided to adapt this recipe because it is one of my favorites. I hope all of you pecan lovers enjoy it as well. This bakes in a mini muffin pan for bite size treats.

Pie shells
1/2 cup butter (softened)
3 oz cream cheese (softened)
1 cup pecan flour (process pecans til extremely fine)

cream butter and cream cheese together, add pecan flour to make a soft dough and refrigerate for one hour.

Filling
2 T melted butter
3/4 cup splenda
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans

blend all together to make filling.
Preheat oven to 350^ shape dough in 1 inch balls and press in mini muffin tin. Fill shells with pecan filling. Bake 20-25 minutes until golden brown.

These were delicious, and perfect in a bite size proportion. Not sure of the exact carb count. If someone would like to do the math for me that would be great. It makes 24 pieces.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-17-04, 12:42

Plan: atkins
Stats: 265/208.5/165 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 56%

I love anything with pecan's so I will be trying these for sure. Thank you so much for the recipe.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-18-04, 16:10

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 283/179/150 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 78%

these sound so super yummy, esp. being a pecan pie fan!

I don't have any mini muffin pans though. Do you think making larger ones would work out okay too???

Thanks!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-04, 21:26

BF:
Progress:
Default I am sure it would be great!

I would imagine any size would do, the mini muffin pan just gives that nice bite size version as an after dinner treat, without to much thought in the carb count area. LOL, but seeing as I am from Texas I am always for the bigger the better!

Let me know how it turns out!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-24-04, 18:14
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

wow, that does sound good and I am not even a big pecan pie fan. This is a must try once I get some more pecans.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-27-04, 16:48

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 194/185/130 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default You must have been reading my mind!

Well, I will definitely be trying this recipe. I have been dreaming about pecan pie lately--my favorite dessert since childhood. I will be spending some bake time in the kitchen this weekend. I'm sure my husband will be pleased.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-04, 18:28

Plan: My Own
Stats: ---/---/--- Female ---
BF:
Progress: 25%

has anyone had success with this recipie? i tried it but it didn't turn out right...like a sweet omlette with pecans in it. the crust was yummy, though. what am i doing wrong? thanks in advance,
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-04, 20:54

Plan: 1
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 111
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Would love to try too!

Could it be the way you put the egg in? I know if an egg is mixed with something hot then it will turn to scrambled eggs. Does anyone know how this should be mixed? I saw something about this on the Food Network, but just don't remember!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-04, 02:33
Registered Member

Plan: My own and Lindora
Stats: 302/295/130 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 4%

I hope I figured it right, but I got approx. 1 1/2 carbs each.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-04, 07:07

BF:
Progress:
Default Continued success with this recipe

I am the original poster to this recipe and have made it again to make sure I got the same results. I definitely did, not sure why the other members didn't turn out. I am going to rethink the wording to see if there is anything else to fix on this recipe.

Thanx for figuring out the carb count for me!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-04, 14:47
"Hopeless Romantic"

Plan: 000000000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00000
BF:
Progress: 26%

Hi there..

I just made these and they didnt turn out all that well..the crust seemed to melt away..I think maybe I didnt have enough pecan flour???? or too much butter..OR could it be that I used brown sugar twin instead of the splenda in the filling?? I thought it wuold give it a much more authentic pecan pie flavour..and it did but the crust disintegrated..I only used 1/4 cup brown sugar twin cause I dont like things too sweet..

Anyway, I stirred the vanilla in first to cool down the melted butter and then added the egg..worked great..

Once I work out the kinks..I think this will be a great recipe..thanks for posting it..
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-04, 19:09

BF:
Default I made them today!

I made the Pecan Tussies today and they are wonderful! I was worried about the crust because of the posts here, but hey, it was worth trying! I made my pecan flour in the food processor and followed the directions for mixing and it was really thin! So, I threw another half cup of pecan flour in and put a cover on the glass bowl and placed in frig. After an hour it was still really thin and I couldn't imagine it ever being a crust so I decided to leave it in the frig until the next day and honestly thought it wouldn't be useable. So, this afternoon I pulled the crust dough from the frig and it was ready! I was happy! I placed a tablespoon into each of the mini-muffin slots and it was just enough for 36. I placed the mini-muffin tin back in the frig for about thirty minutes. I then mixed the filling and set it aside. I placed plastic wrap across the muffin tin then took a measuring spoon, tablespoon was perfect, and used it to press the dough in and it created the perfect curve for the filling! I then put the filling in and baked for 20 minutes! After they cooled I placed then on the rack for a little while because I wasn't sure how hot they would be. I tried one and it is wonderful! Not as sweet as pecan pie, but wonderful! The crust is somewhat fragile but if you eat it with your fingers it holds up great! Try cutting it with a fork and it crumbles apart! I put them in a container in the frig. When I had a few later I put a dab of butter on the top and microwaved them for 25 seconds! All I can say is WOW! My husband, who isn't low carbing said he is converted and that if I can come up with more stuff like that then count him in! The batch makes 36 mini-muffin size treats! I also took the info from the ingredients and figured out as close as I could for each of these yummy treats so here it is for those who want it!

Total carbs=15.5 grams
Total protein=31 grams
Total fat=332 grams
Total calories=3,213.5 (The amount of calories just blew my mind!)

If you make 36 then this is the breakdown!
Total carbs each= 0.43 grams
Total protein each= 0.86 grams
Total fat each= 9.2 grams
Total calories each= 89.263

*If I got any of these numbers wrong then please feel free to point it out!

Last edited by MissScruff : Thu, Sep-16-04 at 19:15. Reason: Don't have a clue how to spell :D
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-04, 20:13

BF:
Default Walnuts

What do you all think about using walnuts instead of pecans???????
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-04, 22:01

Plan: THM
Stats: 182/154/130 Female 5'3"
BF:00/00/00
Progress: 54%

OMG! I am SOOO going to make these this weekend! I usually make the "regular" little pecan tarts every Xmas....and was really starting to miss not being able to have them!

Thanks SOOO much for posting this recipe!
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Sep-19-04, 22:20

BF:
Default Walnuts

I had to post this! I have been carbing up the last 4 days and decided to make a batch of the Pecan Tussies, but used walnuts instead! To be honest, I loved the walnuts more than the pecans and they are cheaper! My guys absolutely love the things! I didn't leave the crust in the frig over night like I did with the first batch and regret that because the volume of the crust was afftected as well as being messy to deal with! So, next time I make them I will definitely leave the crust mixture in the frig overnight! Just wanted to share that!