Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#31   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 08:51

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

This is a nice lttle community. I didn't do good yesterday. My best friend Jennifer came over and she always brings goodies. She bought 2 bags of pepperidge farm cookies. I only ate 2 cookies but the carbs add up. I had peanut butter on lc toast for breakfast. I had to help feed cheerleaders at camp yesterday so I nibbled on some nachos. PLUS DH brought home fried chicken from the supermarket and that was dinner. I am going Curves soon. Maybe I should walk.

Speaking of food from our heritage. I was happy to see that collards, turnips,kale etc were very high on the Atkins list. My family has never eaten so many greens in their lives. DH is white and has neve had a stitch of greens until now. He always buys them in the store now.He cooks 'em too, not the way I like 'em, but he cooks 'em. I like chittlins on ocaision too but I know that I will ave to go to the soul food diner for that. My family enjoys my soy flour low carb fried chicken ( my own creation ). They even request it sometimes.

Kish, When do you plan on getting your dress? You shouldn't wait too much longer to order it.You are making me nervous.
Remember...you can always have it altered when it comes in.

Red1cutie, I see your posts often. You are doing great! I am jealous. I seemed to have stalled big time but I am enjoying my life adjustment. I do believe that I will make my weightloss goal. I won't be weighing myself for a while since it is TOM for me. My weight goes up 2 days before TOM starts. I can tell when my aunt is coming for a visit just by weighing myself.

Diabetes runs in my family. Hypoglycemia is a sign of things to come. I say that because my mom has diabetes and I am sure that she had the same signs that I had and she ignored them. I will be honest with you. I think she enjoys being dabetic because she loves her doctor. Her doctor's visits are her outings...her time for socializing. I told her that she could probably reduce her insulin injections if she became a low carber. She said "but I only take a little bit!" Ooooh the thought of not having to take any insulin, what was I thinking?

Well, gotta go to Curves. I'll be back.

Black57
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 13:36

Plan: my own
Stats: 170/170/130 Female 5 feet, 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi everyone, I am shawla african american married to a cacausion male and have a biracial 6 month old. I am 20 years old and a stay at home mom, so i used to sit on my butt all day. LOL I have been dieting and exercising for almost 2 weeks now. I'm not really on a certain type of diet but just watching what i eat and exercising. Can't wait to meet everyone of you great ladies!!
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 14:23

Plan: LC / breastfeeding
Stats: 230/194.5/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:30%
Progress: 44%

Wow look at the memebers here alrwady. I know if we all come here for support, and talk about our eating issues we will all loose and get to our desired goals, everything is made easier with support.
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 15:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/220/130 Female 5'6"
BF:
Default Hey All

I am feelin' the luv!

It's nice to meet everyone. I enjoyed reading your stories and I can definitely can relate! I am Panamanian/Irish/African American. On the Panamanian side I grew up eating lentil soup, rice and peas, fried plantains, green banannas...ummm. The down-home side of me knows fried chicken, potato salad (dayum do I miss my Mom's potato salad!!!), cornbread, candied yams.....

OK I'll stop here before folks get mad ~ me. But Coolwater - you did not have to go there with the Hardo bread!!! *Sigh* That brought back alot of memories (my best friend is Jamaican) - not to mention Beef Patties & Coco Bread...

Well, for my part I'm not doing that bad. This go round on the LC wagon I am working out in addition to this WOE and I must say it has been a great benefit. (Check out my gym log) Ladies, I highly reccomend trying to get active if you are not already. I know Soonslim is working out. Who else is? What are you doing? I know someone mentioned they were doing Curves (I'm sorry I forgot who that was. There are so many of us joining this thread )

I walk every morning - one foot in front of the other. I've even managed to snag a few friends on occasion to keep me company. I also go to the gym and weight train. Since I refuse to be a scaleaholic as I do this new WOL, I measure my success in inches not pounds. I just did my measurements today and 1 month later I am down 7" total. Very encouraging!!!

Holly I will check out the recipies - thanks.

Kish - stick with us and we'll help get you through those upcoming weekends leading up to November!!!

Redcutie - WOW!! You are an inspiration. Thanks for joining us. I look forward to picking your brain about how you achieved success.

#35   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 16:12

I work out DH just got me a personal trainer, and I walk 4 miles a day. It does help, last time around I went to curves, I think curves is great however it is resistence training, but you cna never increase the resistence, and its pretty low since they want everyone to be able to do it,. so after about 6 months you will plateu, just beware and have some other plan in place.
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 16:31

BF:
Default Good advice

I checked out Curves for a hot minute, but never got around to joining. I teach at a university so I use the gym - it's free, and there is nothing like seeing a bunch if young 20 somethings working out to motivate a sista. One of my students is my trainer (ex-football) so it all works out I guess. I'll let y'all know 2 months from now when I'm REALLY doing this with consistency.
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 16:51

Plan: considering SPP
Stats: 145//130 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 36%

I'd like to chip in and encourage all you lovely ladies who currently are not on a weight/ resistance program to start. The benefits of weight training are incredible with respect to overall health as well as changing your body. Don't worry about 'bulking up' that's highly unlikely for women who don't produce enough testosterone to 'bulk up'.

I lift weights 4-5 days a week. I try to get in cardio at least three days per week. I do the occasional walk, but I enjoy the gym...not just for the eye candy

If possible, try to use resistance that you can increase. Our bodies do adapt, so we need to keep challenging them.

OK, I'm off the soapbox. But seriously, we need to get moving, whether you or you , physical activity is really important.
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 17:05

I couldnt agree more Nadz, before I had this trainer I couldnt bare the thought of going to the gym all the peopl loking at me the women in makeup and jewlery the men staring, its all too much for me. BUt a trainer in my house is perfect for me, great workout things I can continue to do on my own and the comfort of my home, I also love to walk. Its great.

Where in SC are you, my husband is from SC, Orangeburg SC
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 17:39

Plan: My Own Thang....
Stats: 190/190/160 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Default hello ladies...

well i, like nasira, workout at my school's gym and i also do salsa tapes. believe me..that is a workout!!! i be sweatin like a mug!!!!! oh my gosh!! obviously its doin somethin b/c my stomach has less rolls and my gap NONSTRECH size 16 jeans fit me!! before i couldnt get them over my hips!!! trust..exercise goes well with this woe. i am officially 198 today. on my way to 190 praise GOD. for all who's exercising keep goin. u'll see it soon enough. stay positive ladies.
jodi
ps im not jamaican but i louve me some beef patti and coco bread
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 18:01

BF:

Go Soonslim! It's your Birthday! 12 lbs down - that's what's up! Yez those salsa tapes do the trick. I do the Crunch Cardio Salsa series. It's lots of fun and makes me sweat like crazy. When I want a different challenge I throw on one of my Bellydance tapes. Slowly, my 2 rolls are merging into 1. LOL

Well keep it up!

Ladies, where ya at?
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 18:04

Oh you guys have to try Zumba is a mix of salsa and latin dance, I havent been able to find a tape yet, but I took a few classes in Miami and I love love love it, its so great ( and you learn a few dance steps) its gets your energy up and you have fun so it seems like it gets over too fast, now how many people say thier exercise class was too fast! Usually with step or something else I say its too long.....
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 20:51

Plan: the one that works for me
Stats: 220/214/180 Female tall
BF:
Progress: 15%

HARDO BREAD!! heehee okay I won't mention it! Nadz! My best friend from JA has the same nickname...

On the workout tip, I'm doing the home vcr workout with The Method Pilates all in one workout that uses a variety of aerobic, light weights, pilates, dance... And I use The Method Target Specifics, also Pilates based with light weights. They make me feel very 'centered' and strong. I vary it with bike riding and long walks so my body doesn't get used to the routine. I save the gym for fall and winter, otherwise I get real tired of it. Oh and I dance like nobody's business!

Soonslim, I see we have the same goal weight. I'm having a hard time moving the scale, so I'm not paying attention to it or else I'll go mad. I do notice my jeans feeling less snug, so I'll go by that. I have a tall solid frame, and I feel some pretty big muscles under my fat layer(s) so I gotta accept the fact that I'll always be a 'big girl', and that's okay, as long as I'm toned. Besides, alot of men like 'thick' women

Question...anyone here avoid watching BET music videos? Or if you find youself watching one, you start to feel more critical of your body? I used to, but I've gotten better, especially now that I'm doing something about it. Just gotta accept I may never look like a video 'lady' haha
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 21:48

Plan: My Own Thang....
Stats: 190/190/160 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Default ok

i just wrote this long a#~ post and the net went down. to sum up nasira those belly dances do be mergin my rolls..ok?
holly those are the exact tapes im talkin about! there called "Zumba". the instructors name is Beto. its a mixture of salsa, meringue, carribbean dancing, and belly dancing. total full body work out with results. see i live in miami where a lot of that goes on. great buy. let me know if u want to order.
cool water yes we do have basically same stats. girl im just tired of carrying around this weight. video girls are cool but im not them i dont wanna be skinny. my body is different and unique to theirs.i wanna be healthy and thick. about 140-150. every xmas my family meets in the beautiful islands of the bahamas for family get togethers. tired of being the fat one and not wantin to go anywhere b/c of the way i look. like u said toned is good. anyway gots to get my studyin in. holla ladies
jodi
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 22:23
Gold Member

Plan: Atkins -Maintenance
Stats: 250/132/150 Female 5'6
BF:y, are you hungry?
Progress: 118%

Hello everyone I was surfing the forum and I thought I would pop in to say hello. I'm 32 years old and a transplant from California. I've been low carbing since June 6th 2003. I love this WOL.

Gabrielle
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Jul-15-04, 06:11

Hi Gabrielle, COngrats on your loss so far.

Soonslim, I only took the class 4 times while in miami, so yes please let me know where I can order them!
Closed Thread