Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Thu, Nov-18-04, 05:02

Plan: maintenance
Stats: 145/125/125 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Thank you! Thank you! Whoever first suggested this book. I would have never picked it up otherwise.

They never mentioned noctural animals but there probably is an explaination for that. I loved the sense of humor in the book but I bet this is one that is never on a bestseller list. It's just too controversial. I loved the bit about how EVERYTHING is part of the whole. And that we're just a part of the bigger picture so we'd better play along or pay the price.

I thought that fruit sugar was digested very differently than starchy carbs so when they were all lumped together that didn't make sense to me...
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sat, Nov-20-04, 23:01

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 322/240/140 Female 5'6''
BF:I have no idea
Progress: 45%

After I ordered it from half.com I did just find it in a bookstore. I was shocked to find it as I had tried and tried and not had any luck. Marty
  #63   ^
Old Tue, Nov-30-04, 09:31

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Finally found this book yesterday at the University bookstore and am already on page 130, even though I made it a point to be in bed with the "lights out" by 8:00 p.m. What a fascinating read so far. Thanks to everyone who brought our attention to this book. Should be compulsory reading for everyone on this planet.
  #64   ^
Old Tue, Nov-30-04, 13:18

I am interested in hearing your thoughts on the book, Hellistile. I am glad that you found it. I had given up ever just finding it on the shelf until I saw it the other day. Now I can tell people it's at the bookstore---2 hours away. Marty
  #65   ^
Old Tue, Nov-30-04, 14:44

BF:

I have just re-read this entire thread. My feelings about the book (I've just finished reading it) are:

1. It confirms my take on eating the paleo way, whole, unprocessed foods but with the addition of dairy. I don't like her reference to tofu though.
2. I loved the comment on fat. If you can't step on it without leaving a greasy mark, it's not suitable for consumption as a healthy fat.
3. I agree with the author about sleep because it makes sense.
4. I love her references to all the low carb ways of eating.

I am going to re-read the book again because I still need to absorb and better understand a few things. I have implemented the going to bed early plan and have added a black plastic shower curtain over my curtain in my bedroom. Luckily (or unluckily), we cannot open our windows in the winter due to the cold and an open window would mean hot water pipes bursting and flooding the apartments. Getting to bed early 7 months of the year will require some sacrifice in that the only life we will have in the evening is shopping for food on the way home from work, preparing supper, doing the dishes and literally falling into bed for the night. So much for hobbies, entertainment, social life. Since I get up at 5:30 a.m. I have to be in bed by at least 8 p.m. So do I opt for a longer life without a life for 7 months of the year, or do I get less sleep, resulting in a shorter life but one that is fuller? That's one decision I need to make.
  #66   ^
Old Tue, Nov-30-04, 22:04

I agree with your 4 points.

I eat mostly neanderthin now with the addition of dairy. I feel even better than I did on just neanderthin.

I also liked the comment on fat.

I think the sleep thing makes sense, but haven't been able to carry through with it. My sleep cycle just doesn't seem to run that way.

I ignored the tofu part.
Marty
  #67   ^
Old Wed, Dec-01-04, 09:37

BF:

Yesterday, I taped aluminum foil over my bedroom window and not a shred of light comes through. It's like a cave in my bedroom, completely dark. Can't even see my hand in front of my face even at 1 inch away. Even after 2 nights at 9.5 plus hours of sleep, I have lost my craving for carbs which I have been struggling with since February. I'm really excited about it and plan to continue doing this for at least 2 months as an experiment.
  #68   ^
Old Fri, Dec-03-04, 18:26
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

I try to get to bed by 9:30. I don't often make it until 10. I use a black sheet at my window held with towel grippers glued to the wall around the windows. It works really well. I am very light sensitive when I sleep at night and am up with the first ray of light the next morning.

Vitamin D therapy has been working great for me but my requirements are now at their highest, probably for the rest of the winter. After being without cravings for carbs for so long, they subtly sideswiped me. Now I'm trying to find how much I need and how to take it without forgetting a dose. That extra dose is making and is going to make the difference in my mood and carb cravings. I know it.

Vitamin D taken less than 4 hours before bed prevents sleep. You aren't wired. You aren't restless. You're just too alert to sleep deep. You can rest and even doze but you sleep very lightly. That's been my experience and the general experience of others that I know that are taking the D.
  #69   ^
Old Fri, Dec-03-04, 22:26

Plan: South Beach-esque
Stats: 194/159/140 Female 5'3"
BF:34% / 28% / 20%
Progress: 65%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
I try to get to bed by 9:30. I don't often make it until 10. I use a black sheet at my window held with towel grippers glued to the wall around the windows. It works really well. I am very light sensitive when I sleep at night and am up with the first ray of light the next morning.

If you've ever slept at a Hilton hotel (or a few of the other chains), they know how to help you hibernate. I haven't gone to the expense of doing it with my room (except to make sure the windows are shaded), but things that help:

- keeping it warm in winter and cool in summer
- thick carpet wall to wall
- HEAVY drapes (or, not so heavy drapes with a second heavy blackout liner in back) or two sets of drapes... I think this insulates the room temp and also dampens sound a great degree
- featherbeds are good, or as much fluff as you can stand
- big fluffy pillows (unless you need another kind)
- flannel sheets are great in winter
- soft blankets, copious amounts
- not a lot of electronics and wireless gizmos blinking and humming... if you have them at least keep them at the other end of the room on the other side of a big piece of furniture
- down comforters are good
- not a lot of scratchy or fake fabrics and fills (in my opinion anyway)
- for mattresses, while it's hard to find a good futon mattress, a great high end futon mattress is where I think I got my best night of sleep ever.. it kind of molds to you rather than being a bouncy regular mattress.
- a humidifier or vaporizer at night does wonders - absolute wonders - for dry, irritated skin and sinuses.
  #70   ^
Old Sat, Dec-04-04, 11:14

Plan: meat and meat by-products
Stats: 270/191/150 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcb
If you've ever slept at a Hilton hotel (or a few of the other chains), they know how to help you hibernate.

I agree--I have always slept marvelously well in hotel and motel rooms.
  #71   ^
Old Wed, Dec-08-04, 12:43

BF:

I hate to change the subject back to the original topic, but I am jumping for joy since reading this book and implementing the advice in it. I am back on track, I have lost all cravings for carbs and have lost 9 pounds since Nov 29-04. Today as I was walking to work from the bus-stop, such a wonderful, overwhelming feeling of joy to be alive swept over me that I am still flabbergasted. I thank whoever started this thread from the bottom of my heart.
  #72   ^
Old Wed, Dec-08-04, 12:57
Lobstergal

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZ
I agree--I have always slept marvelously well in hotel and motel rooms.

I have too.
  #73   ^
Old Fri, Dec-10-04, 09:23

BF:

Found this on:

Health Sciences Institute e-Alert newsletter

December 09, 2004

Dear Reader,

Trying to lose weight? According to a new study, there's a simple way to improve your chances that your diet will be successful. You don't have to purchase anything, and you don't have to take any prescriptions or exotic supplements. And add this to the bargain: you might also reduce your risk of a disability later in life.

Sound too good to be true? Well it is. Because in order to get this weight-loss benefit you'll be required to do something far more difficult than shell out a few dollars: You'll have to discipline yourself to get more sleep.

Sweet dreams

Except for my nephew who is four years old, I don't believe I know anyone who's getting enough sleep. I don't. My husband doesn't. My friends, family, colleagues ~ none of them seem to get enough sleep on a regular basis. Most of us
are too rushed and too busy (especially at this time of year) to make sure we get seven to eight hours per night, which is considered ideal for most people.

By some estimates, Americans average about six hours per night. That may be enough for some. But if you want to help make your diet work, you'll probably need more than that, according to a study from Columbia University, presented at
the annual scientific meeting of the North American Association for the Study of Obesity (NAASO).

Researchers used almost 10 years of data collected on nearly 18,000 subjects who took part in the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES); a study that
gathered information on general dietary and health habits. After accounting for other factors that contribute to obesity, the Columbia team reported these estimates:

* Less than four hours of sleep per night increases obesity risk by 73 percent, compared to subjects who slept seven to nine hours each night
* An average of five hours of sleep per night increases obesity risk by 50 percent
* An average of six hours of sleep per night increases obesity risk by 23 percent

The researchers believe that body chemistry might explain the link between sleep deprivation and obesity. A lack of sleep increases grehlin, a hormone that sends a hunger signal to the brain. At the same time, the level of a protein called
leptin drops. Leptin helps suppress appetite, so when the level is low, appetite increases. Combine too much grehlin and too little leptin, and you've set the stage for an intake of too many calories.
  #74   ^
Old Fri, Dec-10-04, 09:49

Plan: mindful eating
Stats: 184.5/178.5/140 Female 66
BF:41/40/25
Progress: 13%

i havent read the book but i have a question. is it possible that some people need more hours a day of sleep than others. i sleep on average 8-9.5 hrs a night and i still feel really tired . i have always been a sleeper and when i was a baby there was never a problem with me not wanting to go to bed or take a nap. even in highschool whwn my friends were out i would be asleep by 8:30 and never really want to stay up. I fall asleep during movies constantly. Is it possible that i am just a person who requires more sleep. when i have days of from work and sleep whenever i feel like it i dont have any problems with energy so i really think it is sleep deprivation and not a disease or something. i know articles say 8 hours is ideal but i know that doesnt even come close to being enough. Am i just lazy or what?
  #75   ^
Old Fri, Dec-10-04, 13:57

Plan: meat and meat by-products
Stats: 270/191/150 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimeeJoi
i havent read the book but i have a question. is it possible that some people need more hours a day of sleep than others. i sleep on average 8-9.5 hrs a night and i still feel really tired . i have always been a sleeper and when i was a baby there was never a problem with me not wanting to go to bed or take a nap. even in highschool whwn my friends were out i would be asleep by 8:30 and never really want to stay up. I fall asleep during movies constantly. Is it possible that i am just a person who requires more sleep. when i have days of from work and sleep whenever i feel like it i dont have any problems with energy so i really think it is sleep deprivation and not a disease or something. i know articles say 8 hours is ideal but i know that doesnt even come close to being enough. Am i just lazy or what?

Articles may say 8 hours, but this book recommends 9.5 hours, and it's my suspicion that some people from northern areas may need more, especially during winter months. I know I need 9 to 10 hours. But also you should try to do as much of your sleeping as you can when it's dark outside and keep your room as dark as possible. I suggest you read the book--it's inexpensive and a great read. There's lots of information, not only on sleep, but exercise and other aspects of lifestyle that will really open your eyes (except if you're sleepy, that is )