Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 08:35

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

My son and I are following the hunter-gatherer diet and although he eats way more carbs (good carbs) than I do he is losing weight faster than I am. Age, sex and medical condition plays a role in weight loss, but the important thing is to eat healthy regardless. I am so glad my son is eating this way even though he doesn't have to because in the long run his health will definitely benefit.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 09:30
Registered Member

Plan: Angry Paleo
Stats: 375/205/180 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellistile
My son and I are following the hunter-gatherer diet and although he eats way more carbs (good carbs) than I do he is losing weight faster than I am. Age, sex and medical condition plays a role in weight loss, but the important thing is to eat healthy regardless. I am so glad my son is eating this way even though he doesn't have to because in the long run his health will definitely benefit.

And the kids haven't had the decades it takes for a good, solid case of insulin resistance to set in.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 14:47
Registered Member

Plan: Willet/Balanced
Stats: 174/151/150 Male 5'10"
BF:24%/18%/10%
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamarian
I've seen tons of new sites by professional trainers coming up all of the internet, and preaching the "truth" and promoting their methods as the best thing, or the only way, to lose weight.

But the fact is, if you are a professional trainer, body builder, marathon runner, or into any sort of full time sport, it doesn't matter what diet you follow, you will still lose weight. You can eat nothing but cup cakes, and still lose weight, if you exercise full time, regardless of your diet.

So the issue remains, which diet is healthy, and works without spending your life exercising..... Don't get me wrong, exercise is healthy, but many of us don't have the time, or interest, to to live like professional athletes.

Actually, Tamarian, John Stone is a full time network administrator who's been working out for just the past year and a half. He follows a fairly intense regimen (cardio 7x a week and weights 3x, for about 30 mins per session) but he's hardly a professional athlete. Nor does he appear to be selling anything.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 14:53
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by westerner
Actually, Tamarian, John Stone is a full time network administrator who's been working out for just the past year and a half. He follows a fairly intense regimen (cardio 7x a week and weights 3x, for about 30 mins per session) but he's hardly a professional athlete. Nor does he appear to be selling anything.

Training intense cardio 7 times a week by itself would fit the schedule of an athlete, let alone the extra weight lifting.

So you essentially proved my point. Entensive exercise lifestyle will help you lose weight, regardless of what you eat.

Wa'il
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 15:02
Registered Member

Quote:
Training intense cardio 7 times a week by itself would fit the schedule of an athlete, let alone the extra weight lifting.

So you essentially proved my point. Entensive exercise lifestyle will help you lose weight, regardless of what you eat.

An athlete, perhaps, depending upon your definition. Not a professional athlete, by a long shot, as you implied earlier. So have you retracted your original point, which I understood was to dismiss John Stone because he was a "professional bodybuilder" who "trained full time"?
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 15:10
Forum Founder

Quote:
An athlete, perhaps, depending upon your definition. Not a professional athlete, by a long shot, as you implied earlier. So have you retracted your original point, which I understood was to dismiss John Stone because you implied he was a "professional bodybuilder" who "trained full time"?

A professional athlete, is not like a professional in general. We work 9 hours a day, but a boxer cannot box 9 hours a day to be a professional boxer. They have physical limits...

In any case, my point is that gruiling, intense exercise will cause weight loss, no mater what diet you follow.

I don't dismiss any athlete's program. If it works for them, that's great.

I dismiss the notion that the diet of an athlete is the right diet for the rest of us, who don't follow the same intense routines they follow.

They can eat cup cakes all day, and still lose weight. An average person cannot expect the same results, unless they match their exercise intensity.

That does not prove the merit of their diet. It's proves the merit of their exercise.

Wa'il
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 15:24
Registered Member

Quote:
A professional athlete, is not like a professional in general. We work 9 hours a day, but a boxer cannot box 9 hours a day to be a professional boxer. They have physical limits...

In any case, my point is that gruiling, intense exercise will cause weight loss, no mater what diet you follow.

I don't dismiss any athlete's program. If it works for them, that's great.

I dismiss the notion that the diet of an athlete is the right diet for the rest of us, who don't follow the same intense routines they follow.

They can eat cup cakes all day, and still lose weight. An average person cannot expect the same results, unless they match their exercise intensity.

That does not prove the merit of their diet. It's proves the merit of their exercise.

Your original dismissal was too harsh. It's easier, I suppose, to state that a person's diet isn't applicable to the general population if he's a professional athlete. But this guy's just a casual athlete, who hasn't been at it for all that long. Professional athletes, by definition, earn a living from their athleticism, and they generally work out a lot more than 1/2 an hour a day. 1/2 an hour a day is not really out of reach of the general population, is it?

As to your other point - I agree that exercise is an important component of weight loss, as is diet. I reject your argument that training just 1/2 an hour a day gives you license to eat cupcakes all day. John Stone's results don't just show the merit of his exercise - they show the merit of his overall approach. How applicable that is to you is something each person can decide for themselves.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 15:31
Forum Founder

Quote:
Your original dismissal was too harsh. It's easier, I suppose, to state that a person's diet isn't applicable to the general population if he's a professional athlete. But this guy's just a casual athlete, who hasn't been at it for all that long.

You obviously have not read my post carefully, as I have not dismissed it harshly at all, I didn't even mention him. Just the phenomenon that is spreading all over the net.

In any case, the site's name is john stone's fitness, and the routine described is very intense. If you can't see that, then I can't help you.

I would love to be able to workout intensly more than once a day, but my schedule does not allow that. For those who have the time and inclination, I wish them good luck. But they can't presume it's their eating habits that caused such weight loss, it's the exercise. Pure and simple.

Wa'il
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 15:40
Registered Member

Quote:
You obviously have not read my post carefully, as I have not dismissed it harshly at all, I didn't even mention him. Just the phenomenon that is spreading all over the net.

Well this thread is titled advantages of LC over john stone, and the replies had been addressing john stone's diet in particular. So if we assume you were speaking in general, your original post is rather off topic.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 15:44
Forum Founder

Quote:
Well this thread is titled advantages of LC over john stone, and the replies had been addressing john stone's diet in particular. So if we assume you were speaking in general, your original post is rather off topic.

The title implies a comparison between two different diets. By close examination, it is a comparison between an intense exercise program, vs. a low-carb diet.

If you don't get the point that intense exercise has a distinct, seperate effect, unrelated to food intake, then you have not even inderstood the topic, let alone what is off-topic.

Wa'il
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 15:45
Registered Member

Quote:
I would love to be able to workout intensly more than once a day, but my schedule does not allow that. For those who have the time and inclination, I wish them good luck. But they can't presume it's their eating habits that caused such weight loss, it's the exercise. Pure and simple.

Nobody suggested that John Stone's eating habits were solely responsible for his weight loss. But I'm pretty sure that his diet had something to do with it, too.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 15:53
Registered Member

Quote:
If you don't get the point that intense exercise has a distinct, seperate effect, unrelated to food intake, then you have not even inderstood the topic, let alone what is off-topic.

Most posters in this thread, myself included, understood the topic to be about diet. You're the only one who brought up the intense exercise bit. Maybe the fact that English isn't your first language causes you to interpret things differently.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 16:03
Forum Founder

Quote:
Most posters in this thread, myself included, understood the topic to be about diet. You're the only one who brought up the intense exercise bit. Maybe the fact that English isn't your first language causes you to interpret things differently.

I personally respect your opinion if you think exercise has nothing to do with it, or that it's just a minor factor, but trust me, language has nothing to do with it. Most posters here can grasp that point, IMHO.

Wa'il
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 17:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 191.5/160/135 Female 5'3
BF:39.8%/?/27%
Progress: 56%

I think tamarian made an excellent point, not harsh at all!

If we're talking about any weight loss system, it's important to know both the diet and exercise regimen to get a full understanding of it.

Daily cardio is way more than I do, so I sure can't expect to get the same results as someone who does that!
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 19:27
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrie
If we're talking about any weight loss system, it's important to know both the diet and exercise regimen to get a full understanding of it.

Daily cardio is way more than I do, so I sure can't expect to get the same results as someone who does that!

That is a fair statement.