Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 18:11

Plan: Protein Power/Paleo
Stats: 188.5/169.5/145 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:way/too/much!
Progress: 44%

Hey, Jen---Is P90X done w/ Tony Horton? I love him...
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 19:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 130.5/119.5/115 Female 4'10.5"
BF:32%/32%/22%
Progress: 71%

MamaSara - Yes, Tony Horton does the P90x's. I like him too, except when he says "dude" too much.

Jenny
  #93   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-04, 05:46

I did the Sculpt 3/4 this a.m. It is a really good workout---and I'm considering working up a rotation that includes more of this, with just enough FIRM to keep my fanny lifted and the boredom factor down! Cuz I don't think my body is changing much--at least, not enough to suit me. I just found my measurements and weight from pre-pregnancy (#6). I'm only about 13 lbs. lighter and several inches smaller in the hip thigh area. Baby is 2.5 yo now and I should be lower!!!! Have I mentioned how tired I am of this battle of the bulge???
  #94   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-04, 19:33

only 1 MORE TO gO!!!!!!!!!!!

MamaS - Just keep at it, being lighter and smaller is still better than being heavier and bigger, even if you aren't as small as you wish you were. For Goodness sakes woman you've had 6 kids. Good for you for being commited to your health period.

My sister was telling me yesterday (as she's installing my pull up bar into my wall) that I'm an insane person(jokingly of course).

I said, "no I'm not I talk to a lot of people that workout as much as I do." Then she went on to say that we are a very small percentage of the mass population etc. Possibly only 1%. So while I don't know the true statistics I got to thinking about it and well.... she's probably not that far off the mark. Especially us moms, because we are so dang busy with everyone else all the time.

So no matter what you weigh be happy we are in a possibe 1% of the population that has commited to exercising (and eating right for the most part :0) I wish you'd post some pics so I could let you know how great you probably look!!!

Talk to you tommorow.

Jenny
  #95   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 09:44

Jenny, if you keep nagging me, I might get some pics taken and post them. I wish I had a digital "before", so I could see the changes.

Did Sweat 3/4 today. Fun stuff. Feels great.
  #96   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 11:55

Stats: 215/214/170 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 2%

I am waiting for my slim in six to arrive, and i was just wondering---will sticking to low carb while doing the workout tapes help me lose more weight than doing their diet???
Thanks!!
Im hoping to drop about 3 sizes by the end of six weeks so i plan on doing other exercises as well!
  #97   ^
Old Thu, Jul-15-04, 17:14

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 153/145/125 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress:

Lowcarb17

I had trouble doing strict low carb with Slim in 6 and p90. I felt tired and sluggish and the workouts were hard to get through. However, when I tried their plan for a week, I was miserable with the gas and bloated feeling. They want you eat 40% carbs. What I did was raise my carb level to 20% by putting my food into Fitday, and I feel so much better. I really am not seeing the results I want with p90, so I am back to induction this week, and only working out every other day with the sculpt 3/4 and the PHH bun shaper. I'm kind of slcaking off, but next week I am going to bump my workouts back up along with the carb % and see how it goes. I'm to the point where I can't do another cardio 3/4 workout. I just hate it and after 60 days, thought I would go insane!

My 60 day photos came back today, I cannot see ANY difference between the 30 and 60. I'm contemplating another round of Si6 because that is where I saw the most results. I dunno, maybe I will just workout on my Total Gym and forget cardio, just ride my bike 5 miles instead.
  #98   ^
Old Fri, Jul-16-04, 07:31

I did Sculpt 3/4 today. I'm enjoying it more than I was, but I think that is because I have told myself that I don't have to do it for 90 days. I don't think it is such a hard workout that i'm going to change significantly in 90 days.

AAAARrrrggh ! All the Dear Children are in here driving me nuts and I can't think, so I'll be back later!
  #99   ^
Old Fri, Jul-16-04, 11:11

Oh the joy of being finished with Slim Series for now. I've done from P90x Plyometrics and Core Synergestics and Ab Ripper X the last two days. These workouts ARE SERIOUS. I mean I've never seen anything like these. But its what I've been looking for without even knowing it for years. Cause I don't like Choreography and stuff like that. This is no choreography, every move is effective and I work like I never have in a home workout before. I know I say this now but I seriously don't ever see myself getting sick of this. (But I'll most certainly keep you updated on that one )

MamaS - I'm totally thinking if P90 isn't hard enough for you you GOTTA try the "X". I'm tellin' ya they are not kiddin' around AT ALL in these. If this series didn't challenge you, well you might as well try out for the Olympics or something .

Talk to ya later
Jenny
  #100   ^
Old Fri, Jul-16-04, 16:33

Jenny, I'm so glad you're done w/ Slim and are enjoying P90X! Now we don't have to listen to you complain anymore!

I think you're right that P90 may not be challenging enough for me. I got some 15 lb. dumbbells, so I think that is helping. If I stick to 10s and 15s, it is very challenging. Not the cardio, tho. That's fairly easy--except for the power yoga part! But there is just no way I can afford P90X! Way too expensive and we just don't buy things on time anymore. I'll just have to look for it at yardsales.

I got ds to take some pics this a.m. I'll try to download them this weekend. I don't know if we got the size right---the other pics on the 'puter are too big, so i set the camera for "email". I'm afraid that might be too small. We'll see!
  #101   ^
Old Sat, Jul-17-04, 07:29

Stats: 191.2/161.4/140 Female 5' 10"
BF:no clue/28.46%/:)
Progress: 58%

Hi Jbird and Mamasara! I just started the slim series slim training circuit. I'm almost finieshed with week one. I semi-low carb as well, but exercise is my true obsession. I'm hooked what am I supposed to do? Anyways, now that you've finished Jbird, I was wondering if you would mind posting a summary of your experience. Di you lose weight, inches, or both? Do you feel like it was worth the time invested? I personally really dig the workouts, it's like having a home gym. I'm just wondering if I should add in a few nights of jogging or Tae bo as well.

Anyways, sorry for the novel I love reading both of your posts....

Emmsy
  #102   ^
Old Sat, Jul-17-04, 08:41

Emmsy - thanks for stoppin' by. My experience with Slim Series was a love hate relationship. At first I really liked it but the workouts are so similar of that series that 6 weeks of it just got boring and I REALLY missed my cardio. I stuck it out though and lost no weight but I did lose 3 inches on my waist and about 1/2 to 3/4 inch on my thighs and arms. I probably could've lost a bit more but I didn't change my eating habits at all. I just stick to low carb but without doing any cardio for that entire time I probably didn't burn enough of the calories I was eating. For some people Slim Series may be enough but for me my body is used to serious cardio atleast every other day. Regardless of all that I think I will (after I have enough time to miss it) incorporate Slim Series with all my other workouts. I just don't think I"m cut out for Rotations. I mean I can commit to it and do it but I just don't enjoy it as much as doing what I like whenever I want. And I'm SERIOusly addicted to exercise and want it to be enjoyable every day, never a chore, like it became on the SS rotation. But YMMV as always and if you like it Good for you. I actually hope you do because 6 weeks feels a lot longer when you don't.

Anyhow I'm in love with p90x right now. Have no problem getting up early to do these workouts. Plus with 12 to choose from and all of them being so different its hard to get bored. Let me tell ya Yoga is harder than I ever knew it was.

As for should you do extra cardio. I say yes if you are going to continue to eat the same as you are now with doing cardio. Because while you will sweat and all with the SS I just don't think its the same as REal cardio. But everyone is different. Maybe try it for 3 weeks see how you do on the scale and measuring tape first. Because on the beach body site they keep saying you run the risk of over training if you do extra cardio. In my opinion, expert I am not, trust and listen to your body. I myself didn't have much time to incorporate more cardio since I've got three little ones but if you do then go for it.

Jenny
  #103   ^
Old Sun, Jul-18-04, 12:39

BF:

I just did my first Slim in six workout....it was harder than i expected! Well at least all those squats will make my legs nicer....lol! (hopefully) I think i might try to do it again this evening....or would that be too much?
  #104   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-04, 04:49

Lowcarb17---did you do the second workout yesterday??? I would think that would be too much! It's great that you're motivated though! LOL!

I did FIRM UB and P90 AbRipper200 today.

I'm debating about what kind of routine to follow at the beach next week. I don't want to take a zillion weights and video! I was thinking I would just take 8 lbs. and try Iowa's Power of 10 using the usual exercises plus squats and lunges for legs. Not to mention running on the beach! What do you think, Jenny?
  #105   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-04, 09:29

BF:

I didn't end up doing the second workout...lol. My legs are still sore! I was gonna TRY and do two today, but i wont be able to do a workout this morning so it looks like i will have to do it tonight or this afternoon sometime. Have any of you seen the infomercials for slim in 6 and power 90? I wonder if it took them more than one round to achieve their results....i imagine it did...especially the slim in 6 success stories.