Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-01, 12:40

Plan: sommersize
Stats: 180/179/140
BF:
Progress: 3%
Default hypothyroid

i am new to this form, i have been lc for over 2 months and have lost 5 lbs. husband lost 30!! so i know we are doing something right, i am hoping my snails pace is due to hypothyroid and premarin. sticking with it! 167-162-anywhere near the 140's
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-01, 15:39
Registered Member

Plan: Protein power/Atkins
Stats: 165/165/120
BF:
Progress: 0%

I am hypo too, and I have been doing this for 3 weeks - now on my 4th week. I lost 8 lbs so far...but I have felt every one of them. Unfortunately, those of us with thyroid problems do have a hard time losing. Have you had your TSH checked lately? Maybe your meds need upped? Keep the faith...some loss is better than none, and much better than the typical hypo gain!

Giggles
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-01, 04:09

BF:
Default tsh

i was checked a few months ago, i take 1.0 synthyroid , i think it is the premarin ( atkins book suggests this could be the problem) thanks for the input. iam sticking with it. 167-162- anywhere but here!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-01, 13:32
Registered Member

BF:

I have been on Synthroid for many years now. My dose is ALWAYS changing. My TSH never seems to stay in one place. It has sure been a roller coaster ride, with emotions, weight and sleep problems. I just keep on pluggin away and trying everything I can to control my situation. I hope that the Atkins program will allow me more control of my weight, but it has been a pretty doggone slow process. I just keep trying and keep my chin up. Best of luck to ya.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-01, 16:48

BF:
Default synthroid

i never had the roller coaster tsh, i too have been on syn. for many years, even had an operation 3 years ago for a folliculer tumor on the thyroid, it made me wacky.. my slow loss is due to premarin, (hysterectomy) i am weaning myself off it to see what happends with the weight, and i don't CHEAT. my husband lost 32 lbs. . It's tough being a women, isn't it? btw i am south of pittsburgh , what area are you from?
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-01, 16:52
Registered Member

BF:

Central PA near Penn State.

My thyroid stuff has been nothing but trouble! I have taken every dose that Synthroid makes! Argh!

My mother was hyper and had Graves Disease. They "killed" her thyroid and now she takes Synthroid too. Her dose is also ever changing.

I have had very much trouble sleeping since Synthroid. Only a couple of hours most nights, and I wake up the whole time. Ick! I am tired from this, but can get no relief.

Giggles
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-01, 17:03

BF:
Default problems

i know what you are going through! i only had problems when my thy. was fast. sleeping 3 hrs. a night, and driving everyone crazy. i really don't know what is better skinny and crazy or SLOW and FAT!!! i would be happy to get to 155 lbs. considering i used to be 130-135 about 8 years ago. my friend tried armour and prefers it to syn. just thought i would mention it
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-01, 17:10
Registered Member

BF:

Never heard of Amour? I will look into it.

Yeah, I am not overactive and I still can't sleep.

But my TSH used ot be 15, so anything lower than that and I can't sleep right?!?! Weird, huh?
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-01, 17:21

BF:
Default weird

when it comes to thy. i would believe anything. go to thyroid.about.com. it is a web site by mary shoman VERY INFORMATIVE...
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-11-01, 11:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default Tricky

Hi.

It is not the easiest thing to manage a thyroid condition – over or under-active. I was overactive, eating like a pig, slim as a rake, had an operation 20 years ago and as a result ended up being underactive – they did not remove all of my thyroid gland but removed more than necessary. Gained 3 stone in less than 3 months. Have been taking syn. Thyroxine ever since and weight is a constant battle. I think I preferred being over to this. When I had the operation I didn’t realise that a lot of them go the other way.

I was fortunate that I did lose a good amount during Induction but then it got quite difficult. I found exercise helps a lot. I get very cold and exercise certainly helps with that. Yes sleep is a bit of a problem especially if u r doing a 9-5 job. I sleep for 3 hours very soundly. Trying to force sleep is just a pointless exercise. It is good to have a lifestyle where you can rest for an hour or two during the day as well – employers would probably not like it one bit but it does make all the difference to quality of life.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-11-01, 12:20
Registered Member

BF:

I think the weight and emotional aspects are hard, but I must say the sleeping part of it all is the worst for me. I used to sleep for 10-12 hours at a time if allowed, without ever waking. Sleep has always been one of my favorite tings, even as a child. (They had to take me out of morning kindergarden because I wouldn't get up that early!). Now all of a sudden, I have this sleep problem. Never more than 2 hours at a time without waking. Many days 3-4 hours total. I have been tired for years now - the sleep pattern has been at least 2 years. They prescribed me Ambien, a sleeping pill, in the strongest strength, and it had little effect on me. Frustrating, but I do think I am getting better at dealing with it. It used to make me really moody, but I am way past that now!

giggles
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-01, 08:30

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

I am hypothyroid also and a very slow loser. I take both Synthroid and Cytomel, my lab values are in the right range, and I still have the hardest time losing any weight.
It is so frustrating at times to know I haven't cheated and know that most people have lost more in a week than I have in a month.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-01, 13:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Smile Comitment and Persistence

Hi Atriana

My empathy. Do NOT give up. Remember perseverance and commitment to your goal will get you there ... perhaps not as soon as you would like.

I found exercise really helped to speed up my metabolism. And I feel much better when I exercise daily.

Take care.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-01, 13:01

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Thanks Fiona,
Actually, I do exercise just about every day. Today I rode my bike 15.5 miles, yesterday 9.2 miles. I still don't have the endurance I had before I started low carbing, but it is getting better. But, looking at the bright side, at least I didn't gain weight in the last 4 weeks!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-01, 13:39

BF:
Default weight

hi atriana, i know how you feel, my husband lost 35lbs. i lost 8-10 lbs. (depends on when i weigh morning or nignt). it is very frustrating to do everything right and still no results, i even went off zoloft and in the process of going off premarin, i am on the treadmill every day so i don't gain. don't you hate hypothyroidism? but i am sticking with this wol because i do feel better.