Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Fri, Feb-16-07, 13:15

Plan: 30 or less daily
Stats: 232.2/214.4/169 Female 68
BF:[url=http://www.Ti
Progress: 28%

Question on this recipe. Can I use the flax seed I have on hand to make it? I read somewhere to grind it but I want to double check before wasting all these ingredients.

Thanks,

Cissie
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Fri, Feb-16-07, 13:23

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

You always have to grind it. That is what turns it into a flour like substance.
  #78   ^
Old Fri, Feb-16-07, 13:27

Okay I'll try it then. What I have never called to be ground for the other recipes I have made so I wasn't sure if it's the same thing or not.

Thanks
  #79   ^
Old Fri, Feb-16-07, 14:26

Below is the recipe from the beginning of this thread... My question (before trying to make it), how on earth could you get 8 slices out of it? Also, how could this equal out to the cal. and carbs. listed??

Anyone who has made this please help me out! lol What I have is flaxseed meal and I am going to put it into my magic bullet to make it into flour hopefully.

Sorry for asking so many questions but lately I've made some recipes that turned out so nasty that I totally wasted the ingredients which as we all know are pretty expensive!

Cissie

I make a microwaved bread from flax

1 ounce of melted butter
2 medium eggs
4 tablespoons of flax
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder.

Mix together and put in the microwave and nuke for 3 minutes.

I havent tried the bake mixes so dont know how like real bread they are but I find this makes a fairly closetextured bread that tastes to me like wholemeal bread.

On another board a member suggested you could add parmesan and some herbs to make a savoury loaf but I havent tried it yet.

Totally induction legal for Atkins

About 570 cals for the whole recipe - I get 8 slices out of it
Other info - whole recipe has
Total fat 48 gms
Carbs 18gms (including 15 gms fibre) - so only 3 net carbs
Protein 20 gms
  #80   ^
Old Fri, Feb-16-07, 15:08

BF:

She measured the flax seeds as 4 TBS and she put them into a coffee grinder, when done it give about 1/2cup plus 2 TBS of ground flax powder.
Personally I just fill my coffee grinder until it covers the blades and it gives me the approximate amount.

It depends on the size of your container. I make mine in a 4 cup measuring plastic mug, and it poof over the top.
  #81   ^
Old Fri, Feb-16-07, 17:46

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

My slices are fairly small, but quite filling! Usually half the recipe is enough to satisfy me with spread with butter and loads of meat inside the sandwiches.

As to the calories/carbs it will depend on the particular ingredients you are using, so use fitday.com or similar to find what your counts will be. Yours might work out more or less - you need to check to be certain.

I use medium eggs, which are 66 cals each, the butter I use has 200 calories per ounce and the flax has about 200 calories for a 1/4 cup of seeds.

Hope this helps.
  #82   ^
Old Fri, Feb-16-07, 17:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by penelope
Personally I just fill my coffee grinder until it covers the blades and it gives me the approximate amount.
We must have the same size grinder as that is exactly how high my 4 flat tablespoons are before I grind them!!
  #83   ^
Old Wed, Feb-21-07, 12:15

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Well I made this today with some eggs and bacon and it did hit the spot. I ate the whole thing however because I need the fiber. A lot of calories though 1/4 cup of the meal ground is 3 net carbs and 120 calories so the whole loaf was around 400 calories...

I tried it again today and I added some brown sugar substitute and salt and it really came out fabulously. I get 4 good sized slices out of this. I am using the containers that you receive with the lunch meats it makes it more like a loaf and I slice it length wise. My question is how do I keep it from getting hard until I use it again? THANKS SO VERY MUCH FOR THIS RECIPE, THIS WILL DEFINITELY HELP ME TO STAY ON PLAN BECAUSE I CAN HAVE A SANDWICH!!!

Last edited by skeeweeaka : Thu, Feb-22-07 at 08:29.
  #84   ^
Old Thu, Feb-22-07, 12:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 184/140/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Elizellen: I just made the Flax Bread recipe. I let it cool and I'm eating it with a little cinnamon on it as I write. Yummy!! Thank you so much. I love things that taste healthy.
  #85   ^
Old Fri, Feb-23-07, 15:36
Registered Member

Stats: 260/229/162 Female 178 cm (5' 9 1/2")
BF:
Progress: 32%

I made the recipe the other day and LOVED it. I am allergic to yeast and can't ever eat the low carb breads from the store. In fact I guess I haven't eaten bread in about 6 months....so it was an extremely enjoyable sandwich!

I used golden flaxseed meal, 2 large eggs, and I doubled the baking powder and turned my loaf into about 4 regular size slices.

Stacey
  #86   ^
Old Fri, Feb-23-07, 18:57

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
My question is how do I keep it from getting hard until I use it again?

I sliced my teensy little loaf, ate a couple, put the leftover slices in a zipper bag, tossed it in the freezer.

Took two slices out the next day and toasted them - delightful!

I used a mini-loaf pan for mine, and it was still only about an inch high. I'm wondering if we could get a slightly larger loaf by whipping the egg whites stiff, mixing the yolks and flax together, then folding them into the beaten egg whites before nuking?
  #87   ^
Old Fri, Feb-23-07, 23:38

BF:

Why all the trouble, it is only one bun for one sandwich
  #88   ^
Old Sat, Feb-24-07, 03:07

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by penelope
Why all the trouble, it is only one bun for one sandwich
For those of us on Atkins induction it is 'legal' so allows us to eat bread without diverging from the rules of our way of eating!
I notice you are on a low carb plan that probably allows one of the commercially available lowcarb breads made from nut flour or soya flour so you do not have to avoid them like we do on induction.

As to to 'all the trouble' - it takes me less than a minute to mix the ingredients and another few minutes to microwave it, so is a quick and easy recipe for me!
  #89   ^
Old Sat, Feb-24-07, 03:10

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
I used a mini-loaf pan for mine, and it was still only about an inch high. I'm wondering if we could get a slightly larger loaf by whipping the egg whites stiff, mixing the yolks and flax together, then folding them into the beaten egg whites before nuking?
what a good idea!! Do let us know how it turns out if you try this adaptation.
  #90   ^
Old Sat, Feb-24-07, 10:54

Stats: 184/140/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Just wanted everyone to know that I am addicted to this flax bread recipe. I made a loaf everyday and cut it in four slices. I make it in a large mug and it comes out round. I eat two slices toasted with cream cheese, cinnamon & splenda. Yummy!
So did I get the carb count right? 3 for the whole loaf?