Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Fri, Jul-29-05, 07:18

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 286/207/115 Female 5' 0"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevbme
Everyone is going on vacation from PA and I'm thinking of going
TO PA for vacation. I'm looking at B&B websites... anyone have good suggestions?

Hi Bevbme,

What part of PA are you planning to visit?

Phyllis
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Fri, Jul-29-05, 07:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/131/135 Female 63 inches
BF:Too/Much/Fluff!
Progress: 107%

Yes, Bevbme, let us know what part of the state you are going to. In the meantime, you might want to check out these links:

http://www.bbonline.com/pa/

http://www.bedandbreakfast.com/pennsylvania.html

http://pavisnet.com/bnb/

http://www.lanierbb.com/Pennsylvania/

Hope this helps!

We're back from our vacation in Quebec. Amazingly, it was as hot for them up there as it was for everyone down here! I recommend everyone take a trip to Quebec City if they get the chance. The old part of the city is built within these fortress walls and has tons of little shops, restaurants, boutique hotels and other cool things. It looks very european with cobblestone winding streets and architecture dating back to the 1600's. It's right on the St. Lawrence river, so there are beautiful views and cruise opportunities. You can take a day trip to go whale watching by driving 3 hours nirth of the city.
  #93   ^
Old Fri, Jul-29-05, 07:37

Plan: Modified
Stats: 276/197/155 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 65%

i grew up mostly in PA....... i have been living in Cali for a year now.. i cant wait to get out. The map route ios palnned for the uhaul, the arrangements are made with mom (she is in PA) everyojne is so excited. AND I have three other families trying to get it arranged to move to PA with me LOL everyone wants out of cali! Low income rent prices start at $700 a month, -thats the low end! try doing $970!!!!!!!!!! ok ok i cant wait to pay a normal amout!
we are all moving to Wilkes-Barre in Luzurne county. I should hav enever left. My daughter was born there
i am so excited to go back, but i need to save about $10K just so it is an easy and safe move with no comlications. That puts me about Sept 2006
but you can bet your life i can think of nothing else (well ok.. losing gads of weight!~but the two arent related!)

OK OK OK

yay!!!!!!!!!!!!
bREN
  #94   ^
Old Fri, Jul-29-05, 07:58

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

But I don't know -thats the point.
For vacation I want to visit Gettysburg and I've looked at B&B in Lancaster county.
I won't go anywhere near Philadelphia(sorry) and while Pittsburg ok no need to see it again. Mountains & water -puttering around kind of time. Would go do a volkswalk if the weather is not a killer.

Thinking of PA as a retirement state-want to spend some time around there.
  #95   ^
Old Fri, Jul-29-05, 08:15

Quote:
But I don't know -thats the point.
For vacation I want to visit Gettysburg and I've looked at B&B in Lancaster county.
I won't go anywhere near Philadelphia(sorry) and while Pittsburg ok no need to see it again. Mountains & water -puttering around kind of time. Would go do a volkswalk if the weather is not a killer.

Thinking of PA as a retirement state-want to spend some time around there.

Those B and B web sites I posted let you search by region and I saw Gettysburg listed. I live about 30 minutes from Gettysburg, so I don't really know personally about the B and B's since I just stay at my own house!
  #96   ^
Old Fri, Jul-29-05, 10:05

BF:

LMBO!
PA is second only to Florida as the nations place to retire. seriously, i dont get it? its not warm in the winter! whats up with that?
  #97   ^
Old Sun, Jul-31-05, 15:16

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brennabug
LMBO!
PA is second only to Florida as the nations place to retire. seriously, i dont get it? its not warm in the winter! whats up with that?

Well this IS the Pennsylvania residents forum I bet most of them like their state I think it looks like a nice area.

California is either too pricey or sand/sage(ie firestarter) .Thats when you can get your house to stand still I came east from Oregon and thats always a place to consider PNW but who knows.

Besides you can look at town names like Bird in Hand and Jim Thorpe -how charming is that??
  #98   ^
Old Sun, Jul-31-05, 17:26

BF:

I guess LOL. I dont know why i ever moved out here. i cqan not WAIT to move back. MY RENT WILL GO FROM $970 for an apt to $550 for a house!

that $970 is in LOW INCOME HOUSING for crying out loud!

so really i have my mom in PA ready to scout out a house for me for next sept-oct. I need to save money to get back!

This Sept i am taking more foster children and i should be able to put $1K away a month in the bank.. maybe it wont take me as long to get home to PA? would be nice to arrive with $12K in my pocket though, but i can do it bare minimun on $6K LOL
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

moving back consumes my thoughts daily
  #99   ^
Old Mon, Aug-01-05, 08:51

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brennabug
... MY RENT WILL GO FROM $970 for an apt to $550 for a house!

WOW!! In what part of PA can you rent a decent house for $550? Rent and real estate in our area are outrageous! We were renting, for 8 years, for $875. We were fortunate that our landlord never went up on our rent (and we never had a lease after the first year). She was happy to have someone responsible that took care of the property. When we moved out... she raised the rent to $1,400 a month. And we were in a really old house (over 150 years) with crappy heat and no air... one tiny bathroom... practically no yard. And, I know that we paid almost twice what we would have paid down south for our house. I find that EVERYTHING is more expensive up here! I am sure that it may be less expensive than California (especially if you are in the LA area... I have a niece and a cousin in CA). But, where in PA can you rent a decent house in a decent area for $550 a month? Just curious... cuz as far as I am concerned, we will be going back south to retire because our money will go much further.

Phyllis
  #100   ^
Old Mon, Aug-01-05, 09:12

BF:

I though North Carolina was "the new Florida" for retirees.
My BIL calls them 'halfbacks' Northerners who moved to Florida,couldn't take it and moved half way back to NC.

I can afford PA right now, but not time to retire yet. DC metro area prices are crazy. New construction town homes in York are going for less then my equity here.

Is York a nice area?
  #101   ^
Old Wed, Aug-10-05, 22:42

Plan: south beach
Stats: 220/218/145 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 3%

I'm also from PA. I live in New Castle north of Pittsburgh
  #102   ^
Old Wed, Aug-10-05, 22:51

BF:

in wilkes-barre, i check the rent prices gezzzzzzz. almost daily because i cant wait to move!
  #103   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-05, 06:45

BF:

Hi HannaRose and BrennaBug!!!
  #104   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-05, 08:10

Quote:
I though North Carolina was "the new Florida" for retirees.
My BIL calls them 'halfbacks' Northerners who moved to Florida,couldn't take it and moved half way back to NC.

I can afford PA right now, but not time to retire yet. DC metro area prices are crazy. New construction town homes in York are going for less then my equity here.

Is York a nice area?

York is nice- it just depends what type of palce you want to live in. If you want to by land and build, you can probably get a good price. I wouldn't live in the city of York, if it was me.
You are right- DC pricies are totally outrageous- I don't know how anyone can afford to live there. A house that would cost 200K here is like 600K there. And Georgetown is unreal. We were there yesterday looking at Georgetown University with my DH- it's beautiful, but SO expensive!!!
  #105   ^
Old Tue, Aug-16-05, 09:09

BF:

Hi- hope you enjoyed your visit to Georgetown. August not the best time in DC.

Sorry you don't like York-no real appeal to me just saw the new construction going in-tempting.
LOL I found Lake Areil property too-lovely cabins -but boy I bet that winter comes long and hard there- A summer there would be glorious tho.