Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Quick Meals & Snacks
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Aug-27-07, 09:58

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 225/190/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 41%

Gosh, I just have to keep this thread up! This is the best thing to come along since sliced bread! (A very old expression in this day.) I used some Kraft process cheese and it does spread out--it made a ring around the plate I was using. The storebrand cheese (jalapeno jack) did not do that. Each little square puffed nicely and stayed put. It is hollow and browned inside but has a nice texture and no burned flavor. These have become an evening treat.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Aug-27-07, 10:07

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 240/180/140 Female 63 inches
BF:too f'ing much
Progress: 60%

I made chips out of string cheese once--they DID taste like potato chips. Make sure you're using a brand like Deli Deluxe or another deli cheese rather than the processed stuff to get the full cracker effect.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Oct-04-07, 12:46

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

I just made some from havarti (reminded me of popcorn), chipotle cheese, and regular white American from the deli. They are all delicious.

I now have a question about storage. Right now I have them in the plastic bags the cheese came in. Will they stay crisp this way? I presume I have to refrigerate them but can I freeze them? I will be gone for six days and want to keep snacks for the whole duration.

Thanks
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-08, 06:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/197/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 22%

mine turned out to taste burnt....but they didn't look burnt at all. It was quite odd, maybe I'm doing something wrong? I used kraft American cheese...
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-08, 07:18
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

This works with pre-sliced cheese. So, jalapeno jack in the *slices* you buy is fine; the regular block cheese you shred, isn't the same.

My microwave apparently has a unique personality. I've done a lot of these for experiment. I have yet to have a result where one or two weren't burned, while several were barely melted at all, and a few more were cook nicely on half of them, while not cooking more than half-done on the other half. Our "turning" thing doesn't work, that might be why. Anyway, it's still generally quite good. The jalapeno jack slices are my faves.

Let them cool though. They smell funky esp. at first. And if they are too brown, they taste burned.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-08, 13:32
Intermittent Feaster

Plan: DSTSS
Stats: 280/188/175 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 88%

I make these with Kraft Extra Cheddar Slices, which have 1 g of carb per slice (I think it's the name they use here for "American" cheese slices). I'm not hugely fond of blandness of this particular kind, but a little sprinkle of Cavenders Greek Seasoning makes a world of difference. Parchment paper is a must, and I tend to cut each slice into thirds and each of those into thirds, so I get 9 crackers.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-08, 09:06

Plan: atkins
Stats: 209/198.7/160 Female 62 in
BF:
Progress: 21%

These are awesome!!!!!!!!!!! I took one slice of cheese and I only split it into fours and microwaved it for 1 minute, let it cool, folded a piece of ham and placed it in between and ate a sandwich...deliciously heavenly.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-10, 11:16

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!

bumping

Quote:
I make these with Kraft Extra Cheddar Slices, which have 1 g of carb per slice (I think it's the name they use here for "American" cheese slices). I'm not hugely fond of blandness of this particular kind, but a little sprinkle of Cavenders Greek Seasoning makes a world of difference. Parchment paper is a must, and I tend to cut each slice into thirds and each of those into thirds, so I get 9 crackers.

Yes, the Kraft Extra Cheese slices is the one to get in Canada. I've only found it available in the higher priced grocery stores not in the discount grocery stores. I cut mine into 4 strips and then the strips I cut into four squares. I get 16 decent little round cheese crisps. So tasty...
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Oct-24-11, 23:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 216/214/200 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress:

hey, I tried this, but my cheese all melted and the strips of cheese, melt down to one melted plate of cheese!!!

I place them too close, is that a problem? I used Kraft American CHeese. Although they didnt turn brown, in 30 secs do I leave longer.. but that all melted to become one plate of cheese is what my concern is
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Oct-25-11, 14:39

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!

Quote:
Parchment paper is a must

you probably missed this part, don't forget the parchment paper. And space them farther apart on the piece of parchment.

then let them harden/cool for about 1-2 minutes before trying to eat them. They should peel easily off the parchement.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Jan-31-12, 15:35

Plan: adkins
Stats: 212/208/160 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress:

I tried these last night, yum, they were delish!!!! Thanks for the tip, this will be a "go to" snack when I need a little crunch!!
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Mar-07-12, 11:58
Registered Member

Plan: F75/P20/C5
Stats: 244/208.5/160 Female 5'6"
BF:44%/40%/25%
Progress: 42%

I did these with store brand deli style deluxe American slices, sprinkled a scant spoonful of grated Parmesan on top. Soooooo tasty and fights any blandness to the American cheese.

I also added some cayenne to one batch, some rosmary to another, and basil to a third, along with the parm. You end up with a nice gourmet kind of cracker.

Does anyone know if it can be done in bulk in a regular oven though? I'd love to make a bunch for guests and parties and what have you, but doing one or two slices at a time in the micro would take forever.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Mar-07-12, 12:04

Plan: whole food
Stats: 178.2/155/149 Female 5'10.5
BF:
Progress: 79%

Yes - you can make them in the oven but it's a bit harder to get them all to the same doneness - at least it is for me.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Mar-07-12, 15:30
Registered Member

Plan: F75/P20/C5
Stats: 244/208.5/160 Female 5'6"
BF:44%/40%/25%
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaTX
Yes - you can make them in the oven but it's a bit harder to get them all to the same doneness - at least it is for me.

What oven temperature do you use?
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Mar-07-12, 15:56

Plan: whole food
Stats: 178.2/155/149 Female 5'10.5
BF:
Progress: 79%

Cheese Crisps and Mock "Goldfish" Crackers
Recipe courtesy George Stella

.Prep Time:10 minInactive Prep Time:-- Cook Time:7 minLevel:
EasyServes:
4 servings.Try these cheese crisps as a great dip for low-carb salsa, and enjoy the Mock "Goldfish" Crackers as an anytime snack, great for the grab and go!

Ingredients
2 slices American cheese (not "cheese food")
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
2 ounces deli-sliced Colby-Jack cheese
Low-carb salsa, as needed
Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Stack the slices of American cheese and cut it into 16 small squares. Separate the pieces, and transfer them to a small bowl. Add the salt, chili powder, and garlic powder toss to combine. Arrange the 32 cheese pieces in 4 rows of 8, on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, leaving as much space in between each as possible.

Stack the Colby-Jack slices and cut them into about 24 small pieces. Arrange them on another parchment paper-lined baking sheet in 4 rows of 6—without any seasonings.

Bake both until well-browned and crispy, about 7 and 7 1/2 minutes. If undercooked, they'll be soggy, so don't be afraid to check them and put them back in for more time, if needed.

Cool the crisps and crackers completely before serving—as they cool, they'll crisp up. Store on the counter in an airtight container for a few days.