Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 17:17
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 120/108/97 Female 4'11
BF:
Progress: 52%
Talking Broke my diet =(

Guys i'm ashamed to say that today I have made the biggest mistake since i started this diet, I went on a Carb and Sugar Eating Rampage and ate as much fruits, bread, milk, and all those delicious carbs food i had been avoiding for a month! I wish I hadn't done that Now I gotta start all over again tomorrow and that's really dumb of me. I started in the morning when i had a bite of a fruit(has sugar...really bad!) and then went on and on through out the day eating as many carbs(Pizza, cake, ice cream yummy!) and sugars(candies ) i could get my hands on. I don't know how some of you can hold your cravings for as long as you do, takes a hell lot of willpower to do that and i don't think i have that kind of willpower All this month my diet was based mostly on FATS like 80% and little PROTEINS LIKE 20% so it didn't helped me much cos neither I gained or lost any weight. But now i know that since i have so little to lose (about 15pounds) my body has slowed down the fat-burning process and i'm gonna have to do the job myself by exercising and working out. Yep! Since there's so little to get rid of the only choice i've got is to burn down all those calories myself I don't think i'm ever gonna hit KETOSIS, not that i woulnd't like to but i don't even know if i'll ever will cos i haven't felt any of the symptons yet, although i will buy the Ketostix just in case. I also need to finish the ATKINS book cos everything i need to know is there, i'm pretty sure that most of you have read it already. Well, thanks for all your support, feel free to drop me a line here in the thread, i would tell you to write me to my journal but i haven't got one yet (don't know how to make one ) Any feedback is always welcome

P.S. This is the linkk to my FITDAY:
http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Public...wner=wnnabethin
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 17:54
Registered Member

Plan: hi prot/carb/cal cycling
Stats: 138.5/133.5/120 Female 64 inches
BF:20%
Progress: 27%

you need more water first, and you need to do consistent exercise. Atkins or anyother diet is not the magic pill, especially for someone trying to lose those last 10lbs. People with a lot more weight to lose will do so with out exercise, but at some point your metabolism adjusts the amount of food you are putting in versus the energy expended and you will plateau. You need otmake sure your caloric ratios are right as the above poster said, drink at least a gallon of water a day, and exercise consistently each week.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 21:29
Registered Member

BF:

Message posted by liftnlady:

Quote:
you need more water first, and you need to do consistent exercise. Atkins or anyother diet is not the magic pill, especially for someone trying to lose those last 10lbs. People with a lot more weight to lose will do so with out exercise, but at some point your metabolism adjusts the amount of food you are putting in versus the energy expended and you will plateau. You need otmake sure your caloric ratios are right as the above poster said, drink at least a gallon of water a day, and exercise consistently each week.

I do drink tons of water, sometimes 32oz-64oz a day. I thought that ATKINS was gonna work for me but now i know that it won't cos first, i don't need to lose that much weight, and second cos i am already at my healthy weight for my height, i think. But i still wanna shed those last 15 pounds and i know that the only way i can is by exercising and working out, two things that i have never ever EVER DONE! The most i have ever done physically in any sports has been running a mile in 30 minutes and that was pretty slow . I was reading some of your posts and thanks 2 you i found out about NHE and just today i starting reading about it from the site www.extique.com Now i know that just dieting isn't gonna get me to where i wanna be, i gotta get my ass off this chair and WORK IT!!
... yep The problem is that i'm clueless, i don't know where to begin I mean, how do i start? Should i just go and become member of a gym? Should i read any of those books "Idiots's guide to fitness" or "Getting in shape for Dummies"? I think that if there are such books i would most likely read them cos they would be so perfect for me, I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING AT ALL ABOUT FITNESS OR GETTING IN SHAPED AND STUFF What should i do first? I've got so many questions and i can't seem to get answers from anywhere Maybe someone reading this can help just drop me a line here, all feedback is always welcolme Thankxx
  #19   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 22:02
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnnabethin
Message posted by liftnlady:

I do drink tons of water, sometimes 32oz-64oz a day. I thought that ATKINS was gonna work for me but now i know that it won't cos first, i don't need to lose that much weight, and second cos i am already at my healthy weight for my height, i think. But i still wanna shed those last 15 pounds and i know that the only way i can is by exercising and working out, two things that i have never ever EVER DONE! The most i have ever done physically in any sports has been running a mile in 30 minutes and that was pretty slow . I was reading some of your posts and thanks 2 you i found out about NHE and just today i starting reading about it from the site www.extique.com Now i know that just dieting isn't gonna get me to where i wanna be, i gotta get my ass off this chair and WORK IT!!
... yep The problem is that i'm clueless, i don't know where to begin I mean, how do i start? Should i just go and become member of a gym? Should i read any of those books "Idiots's guide to fitness" or "Getting in shape for Dummies"? I think that if there are such books i would most likely read them cos they would be so perfect for me, I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING AT ALL ABOUT FITNESS OR GETTING IN SHAPED AND STUFF What should i do first? I've got so many questions and i can't seem to get answers from anywhere Maybe someone reading this can help just drop me a line here, all feedback is always welcolme Thankxx

Hi there -

Read here: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...050&postcount=7

Then here: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...18&postcount=15

Then my journal and gallery. You've had some good advice from liftnlady.

Good luck!
  #20   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 09:34

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%

How do I "feel" in Ketosis.
I get a warm sensation across my lower chest and upper abdomin and in my armpits. It is just something I noticed. When I test on a ketostix I was darker when I "felt" that sensation.

Jag
  #21   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 09:35
Registered Member

Talking

Excellent post Built !

wnnabethin...yes join a gym it is the best investment you can make. Someone like you who has not exercised will see terrific improvments your first few months, and along with proper diet I think you will be very happy and motivated to keep going. You have to remember this is a lifestyle, not a quick fix. There are not shortcuts, and if you want the body you desire it takes hard work. I have been at ths for about 2 years and have built some good m uscle, but I am by no means close to my goal yet, remember it is the journey not the destination. For myslef the journey has been great I have learned more about the way the body functions and I have met a ton of very smart and helpful people along the way. Youmight want to start a thread in the CKD or general exercise area there a re quite few knowledgeable people over there, and myslef, Built, legwarmers and Dormouse are all on NHE and woul dbe glad to help you.

Another good book to buy for a newbie is the Body Sculpting Bible for Women, lots of good info.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 09:43
Too kinky for you

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/246/187 Male 176 cm
BF:xxx/27.2/20
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnnabethin
I do drink tons of water, sometimes 32oz-64oz a day.

Hiya
That's not tons.
64oz a day is the MINIMUM recommended water intake for a normal adult NOT on a ketogenic diet...
You should be going for a lot more than that. Possibly even double.

Cheers
S
  #23   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 09:47
Registered Member

Hiya
That's not tons.
64oz a day is the MINIMUM recommended water intake for a normal adult NOT on a ketogenic diet...
You should be going for a lot more than that. Possibly even double.

Cheers
S

exactly..I drink about 128-180 oz a day..it is alot, but just keep a 1 litre bottle with you at all times and drink 4 a day and you are there !!
  #24   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 10:06
Registered Member

BF:

Originally posted by liftnlady:

Quote:
Another good book to buy for a newbie is the Body Sculpting Bible for Women, lots of good info.

Liftnlady you read my mind , that's one of the books that i have just gotten and begun to read Guys you are absolutely right, my water intake is pretty low compare to the minimun of 64oz a day. I am not very fond of water but for the past month it has been "the only" drink i have had and i know that i gotta drink more of it. Liftnlady i'm currently reading the NHE book and so far it's great, lots of good info. I will start a thread on the other board, i gotta ask, what type of LC diet are you on? And what's CKD? Is is a type of diet or a form of exercise?
  #25   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 10:22
Registered Member

I am on the NHE plan. It is great cause you have you your fats most of the week, and then 2 carb up meals that are high glycemic carbs twice a week. If you are interested check out the exercise forum there is a post on what NHE is, and like I said there a re afew of us girls over there doing the plan. If you decide to do it Legwarmers and Built can help you with what your daily cals should be and we can all help with what you should eat.

BTW...sounds like you are off to a good start...also, you are at a pretty good weight right now, what you probably need more than anything is some muscle mass to firm you up, you will be surprised how much better you will look at the same or more weight, but with more muscle and less fat. When I started this 2 years ago (not NHE, but losing weight and lifting), I weighed 138, wore a size 8-10. I now weigh 131 and wear a size 4. I originally cut down to 122, and then started a cylce of bluking and cutting to get where I am now. I am not really looking to lose weight per se, but body fat and gain muscle. My ultimate goal is about 125, with 15% bodyfat. Now this is a process of bulking to add muscle and then cutting to shed fat, at which time you will lose a little muscle. This process is done until you reach your ideal ratio....and believe me when I say patienc eis a virtue.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 10:44
Registered Member

Stats: 200/189/135 Female 5'5"
BF:42%/38.1%/20%
Progress: 17%
Lightbulb

Is your fat level >65% of your calories and protein <30% of your calories???

Is this the percentages the diet says to follow, cuz if that is it ,I now know why Im stuck.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 10:48
Registered Member

I am on NHE, my fats per day are 65-70, protein 20-25 and carbs 5-10%

basically I eat about 145 grams of fats, 125 of protein and 20-30 carbs net of fiber.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 11:00
Registered Member

BF:
Originally posted by liftnlady:

Quote:
BTW...sounds like you are off to a good start...also, you are at a pretty good weight right now, what you probably need more than anything is some muscle mass to firm you up, you will be surprised how much better you will look at the same or more weight, but with more muscle and less fat. When I started this 2 years ago (not NHE, but losing weight and lifting), I weighed 138, wore a size 8-10. I now weigh 131 and wear a size 4. I originally cut down to 122, and then started a cylce of bluking and cutting to get where I am now. I am not really looking to lose weight per se, but body fat and gain muscle. My ultimate goal is about 125, with 15% bodyfat. Now this is a process of bulking to add muscle and then cutting to shed fat, at which time you will lose a little muscle. This process is done until you reach your ideal ratio....and believe me when I say patienc eis a virtue.

Liftnlady i would definitely become member of a gym cos they have all the equipment i need although i have one question to ask you that, does weight training make women bulk up? Cos if it does i wouldn't want to do it, i wanna get toned but not build muscles...you now what i mean!?
  #29   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 11:06
Registered Member

no, it is impossible for women to get "bulky" unless the take Anabolics. Muscle is more dense than fat, i.e 5lbs of muscle takes up less space than 5lbs of fat. So you may weigh more or the same, but be a smaller tighter version of youself. It is also metabolically active, meaning the more muscle you have the more fat you will burn.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 11:10
Registered Member

Stats: 200/189/135 Female 5'5"
BF:42%/38.1%/20%
Progress: 17%

liftnlady, what does your menu look like typically. What do you eat all day to get the fat up there to 145 or so
thanks.