Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-07, 11:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202/128/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 110%

I had one shake a day since I started Induction, didn't think it was slowing me down, as I lost about 9 or 10 lbs during this time. But, on previous attempts I normally lost 13 in the same time frame. I have been losing, but some days nothing and other days a half pound. Seems slower to me.
This a.m. I decided to skip the shake and eat eggs and sausage and try my own experiment for the next few days and ditch the shakes to see if I could suddenly drop a few pounds. I am off induction anyway, but wanted to see if it would make a difference.
I'll keep you posted!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-07, 12:22
Low-Carb Dharma

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 446.5/434.6/150 Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

There are several sweeteners available that are not sugar alcohols - although I'm not convinced that they don't affect blood sugar, I know personally, using more than 1 -2 servings of just about any sweetener can cause issues for me.

Oligoglucose - which is ground chicory root, alleges to be a fiber-based sweetener that "will not cause insulin surges". It does taste good and doesn't make me run to the bathroom, but I'm leery of the claims.

Then there's Stevia / SweetLeaf, which I use in powder and liquid form. Again, I won't say it's completely without risk, but it works best for me.
Quote:
Here is what the website says about Stevia -

Stevia is a South American herb that has been used as a sweetener by the Guarani Indians of Paraguay for hundreds of years. The leaves of this small, green Stevia rebaudiana plant have a delicious and refreshing taste that can be 30 times sweeter than sugar. The body does not metabolize the sweet glycosides from the stevia leaf or any of its processed forms - so there is no caloric intake. Stevia doesn't adversely affect blood glucose levels and may be used freely by diabetics.

The sugar alcohols (or polyols) vary in caloric content, sweetness and glycemic ratings.. they include Arabitol, Erythritol, Glycerol, Isomalt, Lactitol, Maltitol, Mannitol, Sorbitol, Xylitol, and probably more that I haven't heard of lol. Maltitol is the worst one for me, I love those SF candies, but I just can't eat them. On the other hand.. they may come in handy if I get a little "backed up", lol!
  #63   ^
Old Thu, Aug-30-07, 20:34

Plan: atkins
Stats: 155/130/110 Female 62.5
BF:32/27/19
Progress: 35%
Default Thank you for making clear the impact of sugar alcohols.

I'm pretty new to LC and still in induction and I do not want to stall out my weight loss. So I count total carbs regardless if they are fiber, sugar and or sugar alcohols. This is what I understand you to say.
  #64   ^
Old Sun, Sep-02-07, 17:05

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganMac
Then there's Stevia / SweetLeaf, which I use in powder and liquid form. Again, I won't say it's completely without risk, but it works best for me.
Why would there be any risk to stevia?
  #65   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-08, 17:56

Stats: 195/191.4/135 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default Type 2 Diabetes on Metformin

I am on metformin 500mg x2 per day. I was doing really well watching my carb intake for about 6 months then the holidays hit and I have not gotten back on track. My BG levels are slowly climbing back up and I just found this wonderful group. I have been reading the threads and came across this one and it looks like there are a few diabetecs here who will be able to help with any carb questions. I have found two books of Dr Atkins and am reading them now. I will start off with the induction menu. My question is are there any threads I should join that will help with my understanding all the carb chat or Dr Atkins menu in particular..thanks
  #66   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-08, 07:32

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 188/188/140 Female 67
BF:38%
Progress: 0%

Wow yalls post really helped me I guess ill cut back on all the alleged L/C ice cream. But what about the L/C fudgesicles i frequently binge on with reddi whip is that OK? Someone please answer cause I eat two of these a day it helps with my sugar cravings immensely!
  #67   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-08, 18:08

Plan: LC
Stats: 189/184/120 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 7%

I used to buy LC ice cream, but I have absolutely no control when it comes to portion size. Now I have an egg cream instead - its LC and tastes like ice cream because it uses the same ingredients!
  #68   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-08, 10:43
Never Give Up!!

Stats: 200/139/140 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisa
Wow yalls post really helped me I guess ill cut back on all the alleged L/C ice cream. But what about the L/C fudgesicles i frequently binge on with reddi whip is that OK? Someone please answer cause I eat two of these a day it helps with my sugar cravings immensely!

If you are doing Atkins correctly, you shouldn't have sugar cravings, period. However, I see you are doing South Beach, maybe you should consider changing plans to rid yourself of these cravings.
  #69   ^
Old Sat, Mar-21-09, 18:25

Stats: 175/175/145 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress:

Great discussions! I got my question answered reading everyone's comments. Thanks....I'm starting induction over beginning tomorrow with no sugar/sugar alcohols....as someone said Frankenfoods (that's hilarious)!
  #70   ^
Old Tue, Feb-09-10, 15:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins!
Stats: 225/222/150 Female 5'7"
BF:no/more/carbs
Progress: 4%

Great post and wish I saw it before I asked the same question in a new thread. Alas, I am still a Newbie and there's so much information here I don't know where to look!! Anyway, so much for my IceBreakers Sours .... 0 carb, but have 1g sugar alcohol listed. I'm still in my first week induction, so I'd better not have any ...... thanks to everyone here!
  #71   ^
Old Sun, Jul-11-10, 12:13

Plan: DR.Atkins
Stats: 153/150.8/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 12%

Wow, I had no idea! I just started the Low-carb diet and I thought you subtract the dietary fiber plus sugar alcohol,which will give you net carbs. So I went ahead and bought lots of sugar-free candy(which was mainly sugar alcohol) and Ive been eating them daily! Crap! Why didnt anyone tell me this earlier!? lol Thanks guys for the information!
  #72   ^
Old Sun, Aug-29-10, 18:32

Stats: 208.6/208.4/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default thanks for this...mopre pantry cleaning

i had to wonder how that worked and now i know...i bought some atkins products and crystal light..recommended by a friend..and they both should be off my llist..i had no idea these could affect weight loss...that's certainly the last thing i need!
  #73   ^
Old Mon, Sep-06-10, 08:44

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Bumping this because it's such good information.

I keep the bars around in my desk at work or in the back of the pantry. This is for "emergencies" when something else would be far worse.

But I can't argue with the author's sound reasoning; and the experience of so many who discover that such products both keep their sweet tooth "alive" and stall their weight loss efforts.

For those wondering what they will do for something sweet, I'd suggest that you are not kicking the cravings so much as you are feeding them methadone. Then they lurk, waiting for you to rationalize that thing that appeared in the break room.

Once you've gotten rid of the desperation for a sweet taste, you will discover that many foods you eat routinely are actually sweet. For me, it's the heavy cream I put in coffee or tea; I never use any sweetener, because the cream tastes so sweet to me now.
  #74   ^
Old Mon, Sep-06-10, 11:00
4 phases Use them

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 250/250/180 Male 70 Inches
BF:ack/ack/ack
Progress: 0%

Werebear,

You are right, in an emergency they are fine. Heck, I have bars and some Sugar Alcohols in my pantry that I use for treats.

However they are Treats, and are not something I use everyday.

I have one bar of LC chocolate, that I purchased a month ago, again, used as a treat.

However with the kind of day I am having right now I think I will dig 4 squares out and treat myself.

Right now my kids are working towards me being charges with justifiable homicide. If something happens and I don't post for a while, write my wife to get my prison address.
  #75   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-10, 10:48

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGibson
Right now my kids are working towards me being charged with justifiable homicide. If something happens and I don't post for a while, write my wife to get my prison address.

Don't do it, John!

Think how starchy that prison diet is.